Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Spring/Summer 2015.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A new thread for the start of Spring/Summer 2015, Please use this thread for Model related Moans/Ramps/Banter or discussing the Models on a more lighter note. As always please stick to the Forum rules, And be respectful/polite and keep discussion on topic.

Please continue.

Many Thanks, PM

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

6z Eclipse cloudwatch. Good again.

gfsnh-0-360.png?6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

From MarkVoganweather....

https://twitter.com/MarkVogan/status/573489338840911872

Possible cooler, wetter Summer.

Edited by simshady
  • Like 1

Posted

we're probably due a colder, wetter one after the last two - especially given what went in the years preceding 2013.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Hmmm, surely cooler than average SSTs around us wouldn't herald a wet summer, perhaps a cool and dry summer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

we're probably due a colder, wetter one after the last two - especially given what went in the years preceding 2013.

id have thought we are overdue for a steamer... its been nine years now since the grass browned off due to drought stress. ok the last two summers werent bad, and both had a decent spell... but they were no 95, 03, 06, 83, 75, 76, etc. of course the southeast got more then the rest of us..

Posted

Thats not what the met office said last year - complete opposite in fact!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/4/8/Drivers_and_impacts_of_seasonal_weather_in_the_UK.pdf

rHNz0Ef.png

Posted

Apologies for the IMBYism of this post, but I was just looking back at the max temps for summer 2012 at Andrewsfield in Essex (nearest MetO station to me, bar Writtle which doesn't have a publicly available archive).

What struck me is that late July and August was better for warmth than I remembered, with a two-week spell in August where temps were in the mid-high 20s on nine occasions. 30.8C was even recorded on 18th Aug, whereas Andrewsfield didn't hit 30C even last year (and neither did my back garden!).

I remember last summer being good for sustained overall warmth but there was little in the way of extreme heat. Personally I'd be happy if this summer was a bit cooler than 2014 but had a few more 'scorcher' days - more interesting from a meteorological POV in my view!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

A mini heat spell of sorts affected the SE in August 2012 but the rest of the country missed out. We reached 25C on the same day 30C was breached in places like Essex.

Never reached 30C last year but reached 31C in August 2013. Last summer was far superior to 2012 really. August was a real stinker though.

Edited by cheese

Hmmm, surely cooler than average SSTs around us wouldn't herald a wet summer, perhaps a cool and dry summer?

They are so damn rare MP-R, another muggy summer i think, thats the norm nowadays, haven't had a properly cool summer since 1987.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We're probably due a cooler, wetter summer after two warm summers but we had more than a few cool, wet ones on the trot from 2007 to 2012??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

We're probably due a cooler, wetter summer after two warm summers but we had more than a few cool, wet ones on the trot from 2007 to 2012??

However last August did balance things out somewhat bringing the CET for the whole summer back nearer average. So it was not as good as 2013. It had its heatwave in July but also its cool spells too which frustratingly coincided with when i went camping during August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

They are so damn rare MP-R, another muggy summer i think, thats the norm nowadays, haven't had a properly cool summer since 1987.

True, we've only managed to get a cool and dry summer month rather than summer as a whole e.g. June 2013, August 2007 though as you say, rare. I just personally can't see a wet summer if sea temperatures are on the chilly side. 

Posted

The Summers of 1985, 1986 and 1987 were alot cooler than 2007, 2008 and 2009, we are long overdue a properly cool summer.

Is there any meteorological evidence to suggest that we can be "due" a certain type of season? Or is it just based on probability?

Edited by h2005uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

2012, Olympic games had good weather..light shower just before start of opening ceremony, but 10 days of action in Olympic stadium were dry, fairly warm. with decent sunshine.

remember watching on tv as the sun set on a clear sky..civil twilight was tuning in for the usain bolt 100m final extravaganza, (aug 5th ??) thinking the good weather helped with the atmos.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

bloody gorgeous here today :)

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Some lovely warm Spring weather on the way for the S and E over the next few weeks by the look of the charts. As for summer, I'd like it very warm, mainly sunny with a few decent storms thrown in.

• Like 3

Posted

bloody gorgeous here today :)

isnt it just mushy :D , cant believe there is a good proportion on here who hate this stuff,  and the spring/summer in general,,,,does not compute with me, although I do like my  occasional extremes as long as its not the cold type :laugh: ,  and I like my thunderstorms and heavy rain events :rolleyes: ,  not that we get many! 

• Like 5

Posted
The current model ouput is horrid. The past few weeks have been execrable with a complete lack of anything remotely interesting combined with rotten lousy damp grey weekends. Local media full of nonsense about how it's going to be warmer than Majorca this weekend. I can only assume there must be another Majorca somewhere in the arctic circle. Model output suggests lots of cloud, a nasty wind and unremarkable temperatures. That's certainly what it was like today. Worse than 90% of days in the winter just gone :bad:

Worse still next week looks like a depressingly dull and grim southerly flow when I have days off I need to start using up. Awful autumnal gunk which seems to be the only season we ever get these days. Any interesting or pleasant weather that appears in the model output always gets watered down to nothingness with each run.

Really depressing and as bad as winter 13/14 being stuck indoors all the time. Can't take any more of this after last year being the worst for outdoor activities I have experienced due to endless foul weekend weather from March to September :help:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The current model ouput is horrid. The past few weeks have been execrable with a complete lack of anything remotely interesting combined with rotten lousy damp grey weekends. Local media full of nonsense about how it's going to be warmer than Majorca this weekend. I can only assume there must be another Majorca somewhere in the arctic circle. Model output suggests lots of cloud, a nasty wind and unremarkable temperatures. That's certainly what it was like today. Worse than 90% of days in the winter just gone :bad:

Worse still next week looks like a depressingly dull and grim southerly flow when I have days off I need to start using up. Awful autumnal gunk which seems to be the only season we ever get these days. Any interesting or pleasant weather that appears in the model output always gets watered down to nothingness with each run.

Really depressing and as bad as winter 13/14 being stuck indoors all the time. Can't take any more of this after last year being the worst for outdoor activities I have experienced due to endless foul weekend weather from March to September :help:

Get yourself down to London and enjoy some nice Spring sunshine (hopefully). Or pop over to Spain, will be lovely and warm. A nice way to use up those days off.