Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scottish skier

May 2015 UK General Election Discussion/Poll

May 2015 General Election Poll  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Which party do you currently plan to vote for in the May 2015 General Election?

• Conservative & Unionist Party
    • Labour Party
    • Liberal Democrats
    • United Kingdom Independence Party / UKIP
    • Scottish National Party / SNP
    • Green Party of England & Wales
    • Scottish Green Party
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Other party
    • None of the above
    • Spoil ballot

With the May 2015 UK General Election approaching, feel free to cast your vote here in a poll of NW readers (or at least those visiting the serious discussion area!).

Votes should be anonymous as they will be on the day (although you are of course free to comment on how you voted).

Hope it works - my first attempt at a poll!

Sorry if you support e.g. Merbon Kernow; I've used the standard list for UK-wide polls... You can of course tick 'other' and voice support in a post if you wish.

Ukip got my vote, Will be interesting to see how this poll pans out 

UKIP for me!! I just want a very different party to govern other than the tories, Labour and Lib Dems. All the three parties are just too similar. Just want change.

UKIP for me!! I just want a very different party to govern other than the tories, Labour and Lib Dems. All the three parties are just too similar. Just want change.

But what change do you want?

With 2 months to go, I still don't know who I'm going to vote for, so I shall not vote yet.

With 2 months to go, I still don't know who I'm going to vote for, so I shall not vote yet.

What would win your vote in the manifesto's?

But what change do you want?

Once UKIP have managed to win enough seats and they have the deal with the winning party, other EU countries will begin to consider to whether to leave the Union. We need the European Union to collapse that means one less superpower to worry about. If the EU expands to the border of Russia by having Ukraine and Georgia having membership, I think there will be more tensions and eventually war with Russia. That is a worse case scenario.

I want a change towards a peaceful direction, not a warmongering one.

What would win your vote in the manifesto's?

At the moment if I could divide up my vote amongst them based on their manifestos and various policies in them that I support. it would be about 40% Lib Dem 40% Tory 10% Green and 10% UKIP.

I won't vote UKIP despite being a big fan of their education policy and I won't vote Green based on how bad their economical policy would be in practice.

So I guess it's a toss up between the LD and Tories.

My main areas of concern are: NHS, Crime, Economy, Environment and Welfare/Benefits. As far as I can see, I'm pretty evenly split between them on those.

Once UKIP have managed to win enough seats and they have the deal with the winning party, other EU countries will begin to consider to whether to leave the Union. We need the European Union to collapse that means one less superpower to worry about. If the EU expands to the border of Russia by having Ukraine and Georgia having membership, I think there will be more tensions and eventually war with Russia. That is a worse case scenario.

I want a change towards a peaceful direction, not a warmongering one.

I have a feeling that's quite unlikely re a deal between the winning party and UKIP.

I also feel unified/united nations are more likely to be peaceful than ones who isolate themselves, only interested in their self interests.

For me probably an independent candidate who is running in my constituency, otherwise it would probably have been the Greens as no other parties do it for me at the moment (though the Greens aren't perfect).

Not sure whether to put Green or Other in the poll, as my 'other' isn't actually a party and is quite unique to my seat.

I can't vote SNP or Green so its not voting for me.

What about SDLP?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Democratic_and_Labour_Party

They are politically the closest to the SNP in Northern Ireland (social-democratic + support Irish re-unification through solely democratic means).

Or there's Alliance who are centrist liberals - so fairly close to the SNP - and largely neutral on reunification / are anti-sectarian division.

(I'm assuming you are voting in NI).

I also feel unified/united nations are more likely to be peaceful than ones who isolate themselves, only interested in their self interests.

Very much in agreement with that statement.

Very much in agreement with that statement.

Which is why you voted for a party that wants to break up a union, priceless, lol!

Which is why you voted for a party that wants to break up a union, priceless, lol!

I don't; I vote for a party that wants my country to be a part of a union and not isolated with no voice in that union nor the world.

Scotland currently doesn't have a seat at the UN nor the EU. I'd like it to have both. It could also have a seat, like Ireland, at the British-Irish+Scottish council (currently just British+Irish).

I kinda thought that was obvious; it is after all a central argument of the SNP.

17 votes so far and zero for labour that is very interesting 

I don't; I vote for a party that wants my country to be a part of a union and not isolated with no voice in that union nor the world.

Scotland currently doesn't have a seat at the UN nor the EU. I'd like it to have both. It could also have a seat, like Ireland, at the British-Irish+Scottish council (currently just British+Irish).

I kinda thought that was obvious; it is after all a central argument of the SNP.

Would you integrate with the EU fully though? To what extent does your union statement go.

Would you integrate with the EU fully though? To what extent does your union statement go.

As a civic nationalist and a socially liberal democrat I'm against an EU type increasingly 'unitary' superstate (i.e. like a bigger version of the UK unitary state).

I think people need a national identity to live happy lives. We are social animals that like to be part of groups, be that family or a national society. We are also diverse; the same but different. That is something I think good.

I also believe in keeping power close to the people as when it becomes distant (big superstate) it tends to corrupt and makes people feel its out of touch / out of their control. It also causes wars with other superstates. Little countries are far less dangerous to others.

At the same time, I'm for union, i.e. the national state joins a greater co-operative union rather than being isolationist or imperialistic. 

So, in that sense I support a union of trade and governance surrounding that. Likewise cooperation on e.g. defence. I'm also generally supportive of freedom of movement. However, I think countries should retain their own basic governance and identity. 

The most important thing for me is the freedom of peoples to choose how they are governed*, as enshrined in the UN covenant on Civil and Political Rights. That does not stop them choosing to join a superstate, but is against subjugation by said state in that they can also choose self governance...

If that makes any sense.

----

This sums my views well, with key points underlined. What makes good governance is that it is voluntary, as expressed at the ballot box. 

Civic nationalism lies within the traditions of rationalism and liberalism, but as a form of nationalism it is contrasted with ethnic nationalism. Membership of the civic nation is considered voluntary, as in Ernest Renan's classical definition in "Qu'est-ce qu'une nation?" of the nation as a "daily referendum" characterized by the "will to live together".

Going to be tough to decide - not that my vote will count where I live. My natural instinct is to vote LibDem, but I would have to be persuaded that there was no chance of them going back into coalition with the Tories. If I'm not confident of that, I would probably vote Green, just to have my vote registered. Not voting isn't an option, even if I have to spoil my ballot paper.

Complete apathy from me. Wouldn't get out of bed for any of 'em.

The only party in the UK that appear to have their s**t together are the SNP...not a lot of good to me sat 120 miles south of the border.

Greens...I'd like to think they'd get my vote but that 20mph speed limit obsession for every stretch of Tarmac in the country is not something I could ever vote for.

Life in the slow lane ain't for me.

Unless one of these docudramas actually says something based on fact, it's UKIP for me.

By the looks of our highly representative poll it's a toss up between Alex Salmond and David Cameron as PM, with Farage not too far behind, the LD vote just about holding up and Labour failing to get a single vote (surely Miliband would at least vote for himself right?) :rofl:

In the speaker's seat so I have the choice of Tory, UKIP or Green, and as someone of the left wing it's the Greens for me.

In the speaker's seat so I have the choice of Tory, UKIP or Green, and as someone of the left wing it's the Greens for me.

Most Tories hate Bercow though Nick, he's certainly independently minded.