Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/03/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Night lightning visible on this Louisville webcam if you need your fix.

http://www.whas11.com/story/weather/cams/2015/01/12/louisville-metro-camera/21634485/

Edited by TropicThunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

A US. storm is worth about 3/4 storms here...

Edited by Dami

Posted

lighting over Derbyshire from July 2013, starts at about 50secs.

filmed from Crich stand overlooking Derbys/Notts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

18z showing some interest at the end of the run. Filled out low could prove to deliver some of our first proper convective opportunities of the year! 

Then again it may be gone on the next run!

Glad to be seeing the Li values decreasing and CAPE on the increase :D

Posted

We got something of sorts during May last year I think it was but during the summer it was frustrating as most storms shunted off to the east (could hear the rumbles but nothing really overhead) December was a different matter though ;) (7 storms in 1 day won't be forgotten for a long time) and a nice xmas eve bonus ball too ;) Wonder what the summer months ahead will bring

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Yes - I've been on the watch for this too. It seems to be a common synoptic pattern that has been showing up (and occurring) a lot over the past 18 months, more so than recent years.

Fingers crossed!

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Not sure if a separate thread for this type setup is necessary though.  Can be discussed in the 'Convective Discussion' thread, no?

Agreed, I have merged the Plumewatch thread with this one as gets a little messy having two threads running for essentially the same discussion.

As has already been mentioned, we are starting to see some signs of convective and storm opportunity in around 8-10 days time. This is outside what we can call the reliable timeframe but it is nice to see these charts starting to show up, makes me feel the storm season is just around the corner. I will be keeping a close eye on this one :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

not looked at the 12z GFS yet, but the 06z has interest for convective weather with areas of low pressure stagnating to the west/SW allowing increasingly moist air to pump up from the south in a week or so's time......lots to get through until then, but the potential is there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

not looked at the 12z GFS yet, but the 06z has interest for convective weather with areas of low pressure stagnating to the west/SW allowing increasingly moist air to pump up from the south in a week or so's time......lots to get through until then, but the potential is there

Too early to mention the 'p' word then?

Exciting stuff though. Beautiful weather today - even better knowing it might all add up to something... 😃

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Lots of lovely convective clouds around over the last few days. The heat of the last couple of days really reminds me of those warm summer evenings when the storms roll in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Lots of lovely convective clouds around over the last few days. The heat of the last couple of days really reminds me of those warm summer evenings when the storms roll in.

Let's hope that this is just the beginning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Too early to mention the 'p' word then?

Exciting stuff though. Beautiful weather today - even better knowing it might all add up to something...

a tad I reckon, but I know of quite a few fellow 'storm nuts' in here who'll be watching subsequent runs with interest!  :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

2 areas to note, the first a weak cell has popped up over us here in Norwich, cant be cause of the fronts as they haven't arrived yet so probably sea breeze convergence.

And a definite convergence in the channel forcing the potential on the coast of France. Winds are travelling up towards the UK :)

post-7331-0-49720300-1428686266_thumb.pn

post-7331-0-89001000-1428686304_thumb.pn

Edited by Greenday

Posted

2 areas to note, the first a weak cell has popped up over us here in Norwich, cant be cause of the fronts as they haven't arrived yet so probably sea breeze convergence.

And a definite convergence in the channel forcing the potential on the coast of France.

yes, was just about to post something similar......in fact a couple of storms have fired on the french coast.....those along the SE coast of England might see a flash or two as night-time encroaches

Posted

yes, was just about to post something similar......in fact a couple of storms have fired on the french coast.....those along the SE coast of England might see a flash or two as night-time encroaches

I checked the charts this morning and noticed the possibilities however everything was so quiet on the forum I was sceptical I was missing something and didn't want to look silly if I was wrong :) I did post something mid afternoon on my fb group. Although here I didn't think there was any forcing to tap into the potential and steepening laps rates but I'm glad I was right about the French potential.

Tomorrow looks likely Scotland could have some interesting weather. As the centre of the North Atlantic low gets closer to Scotland some areas have lapse rates of over 30 which I don't think I've seen in the time I've checked forecast charts.

Posted

overnight tues into wednesday has caught my interest....slack moist southerly flow, decent mixed layer cape, high lapse rates, although on the downside modelling infers fairly strong capping in the mid atmosphere.......into wednesday, a weaker cap could lead to few spikey thunderstorms breaking out over central England during the afternoon....one scenario to watch

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Is there enough energy aloft for something to make it cross the channel tonight? Or am I just wishful thinking too much?

Welcome to page 6 by the way 😀

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted

Thinking about any possibilities into mid next week then this morning's presumably unforecast/unexpected trough that moved North just shows how quickly things can develop. There was a lot of mid level instability this morning resulting in a brisk moving trough including sharp downpours, perhaps similar could happen next week and, if there is more moisture than today, then it could be more interesting.

Posted

6 years ago?...blimey, doesn't time fly!

I remember it well, breakfast time storms rule!  :D

Posted

This is the first time I've seen total totals at the highest number before although there maybe reasons why this may not actually work as intended..

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/302/

post-7331-0-29183200-1428749184_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

This is the first time I've seen total totals at the highest number before although there maybe reasons why this may not actually work as intended..

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/302/

I'm not exactly sure what the "TT index" is, to be honest. Could someone explain?