Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

June 2012: cold, wet and miserable

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

If I'm honest, June 2012 was by far the worst summer month of recent years, and probably one of the most miserable months in general. It was the wettest June on record and was also a very cool June, with low daytime maximas. The CET came out at 13.5C, which is 0.6C below the 1961-90 average. This was only held up by the higher than average minimas. It was also remarkably dull.

Edited by Thunderbolt_

Posted

A forgettable month overall here except for another summer flooding on the severn which didn`t never happened before 2007.

It was very wet but not the wettest by far.

This was the wettest day of the month though with 1.4inches of rain pretty extraordinary.

And strong east winds.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2012/Rrea00120120603.gif

Just the one rumble of rumble on the morning of the 28th.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

It was around this time that the press were reporting we'd have 10 years of summers like that. Then 2013 was the warmest summer since 2006 and 2014 was a pretty decent summer too. :rofl:

Posted

A forgettable month overall here except for another summer flooding on the severn which didn`t never happened before 2007.

It was very wet but not the wettest by far.

This was the wettest day of the month though with 1.4inches of rain pretty extraordinary.

And strong east winds.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2012/Rrea00120120603.gif

Just the one rumble of rumble on the morning of the 28th.

3 June 2012 was absolutely abysmal. It was a very wet day here too, and I recorded a high of 9C that day... yes a 9C maxima in early June!

Edited by Thunderbolt_

Posted

If I'm honest, June 2012 was by far the worst summer month of recent years, and probably one of the most miserable months in general. It was the wettest June on record and was also a very cool June, with low daytime maximas. The CET came out at 13.5C, which is 0.6C below the 1961-90 average. This was only held up by the higher than average minimas. It was also remarkably dull.

If you thought June 2012 was bad, you should have seen June 1987 in Manchester.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

For me the thing most remembered about June 2012 was in the early evening of 22nd with a torrential 4 hour downpour which dropped 90mm of rain on the Lancashire Yorkshire border causing considerable flooding here in Bacup and further down the Rossendale Valley and even worse conditions over the hill in Todmorden and lower down towards Hedben Bridge.

Other than that it was just a miserable month which joined together with other miserable months to make a summer remembered for all the wrong reasons.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Taking the country as a whole, June 1987 was not quite as wet as June 2012, but it was more exceptional for the frequency of rain rather than the quantity, and it was comparably dull and about a degree cooler, so I suspect that if we'd had a repeat of June 1987, most members would probably have had an even lower opinion of the month (hard to imagine, but true).  More so for Manchester where June 1987 had almost three times the normal rainfall.

However, taking the country as a whole, June 2012 probably ranks as the worst summer month for outdoor activities of the last 25 years, and was arguably beaten only by a handful of summer months in the 70s and 80s.

My main standout memory of June 2012 is the day of thunderstorms on the 28th, but that was very much a one-off, with the second strongest memory being that we had autumnal depressions on each of the preceding Fridays, the one on the 22nd being particularly notable.  I was in Norwich that day and it was grey and windy but mostly dry, but in many parts of northern England a belt of frontal rain persisted all day.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

June 2012 wasn't the wettest summer month here (as usual, we dodged all the thunderstorms), it was most notable for its lack of sunshine and persistent coolness. It was wet, but not record breakingly so; in fact July 2012 was wetter.

As for the worst summer months for outdoor activities, here are my top 5:

1. August 2008

2. August 1992

3. July 2009

4. June 2012

5. June 1997

All characterised by a large number of days with rain and long spells of cool and/or dull weather, rather than just rainfall totals. Note that none of the summer 2007 months are in there- there were some dry spells of several days especially in June, which were OK for outdoors.

• Like 1

Posted

June 2012 wasn't the wettest summer month here (as usual, we dodged all the thunderstorms), it was most notable for its lack of sunshine and persistent coolness. It was wet, but not record breakingly so; in fact July 2012 was wetter.

As for the worst summer months for outdoor activities, here are my top 5:

1. August 2008

2. August 1992

3. July 2009

4. June 2012

5. June 1997

All characterised by a large number of days with rain and long spells of cool and/or dull weather, rather than just rainfall totals. Note that none of the summer 2007 months are in there- there were some dry spells of several days especially in June, which were OK for outdoors.

You missed all those severe thunderstorms we had in june 2007 then,I`ve never seen nothing like it before.

July 2009 was extraordinary too,memorable thunder again and torrentials storms.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

3 June 2012 was absolutely abysmal. It was a very wet day here too, and I recorded a high of 9C that day... yes a 9C maxima in early June!

It was just probably the second wettest june day I`ve recorded from just frontal rain,record has to go to 2007 again.

Temps were depressed.

June 2009 was colder though.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

You missed all those severe thunderstorms we had in june 2007 then,I`ve never seen nothing like it before.

July 2009 was extraordinary too,memorable thunder again and torrentials storms.

Yes, they all missed here by 20 miles or so. Didn't even top 100mm for the month, many places not far away did that in a day.

July 2009 wasn't thundery either, it was just rain virtually every day. Like a less cold July 1988.

Edit: That first comment was about June 2012, we did get some storms in June 2007.

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted

Also July 1988 and August 1986 were stinkers of summer months.

Definitely July 1988. Was limiting it to last 25 years, but make it 30 and that one is definitely in. Don't remember much of August 1986 but from memory most of summer 1987 was pretty rubbish too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Although June 2012 here was very wet ( 226.4 mm ) and exceptionally dull ( 63.7 hrs ) it doesn't quite match June 1991 for all around awfulness ( and I use the word awful from the majority perspective rather than my own! ) as it was nowhere near as cold.

June 1991 had 24 rain days, 1 more than 2012, and a mean maximum of 13.3c, almost 2c lower than 2012. Although the rainfall total was only 94 mm  and the sunshine total was almost double that of 2012 the unremitting chill, with many days in the range 9-13c, negated any sense that it was a summer month.

• Like 1

Posted

And this day will also be remembered for the shot of both The Queen and The Duke of Edinbrugh looking miserable as sin during the boat pageant on the Thames in the pouring rain during Jubilee weekend-an absolute write off of a day in terms of the weather. 

• Like 2

Posted

And this day will also be remembered for the shot of both The Queen and The Duke of Edinbrugh looking miserable as sin during the boat pageant on the Thames in the pouring rain during Jubilee weekend-an absolute write off of a day in terms of the weather. 

The whole month was pretty much a write-off for any decent weather. I don't think there was even one pleasant day. I even missed out on the thunderstorms on the 28th. June 2012 is a month that should just be forgotten even existed.

• Like 1

Posted

Oh dear June 2012 was an exceptionally poor month for summery weather here. Very wet and miserably dull and cool starting, July was even wetter! It was a terrible summer, hardly any dry days..

There was a day late in the month that brought torrential downpours in Kendal turning the High Street into a river, the like that hadn't been seen for a long long time.

Thankfully the last 2 summers have been much better affairs. By summer 2012 we were sick of rubbish summers, the 6th poor one on the trot but by far the worst probably since 1988. July 1988 that was a shocker of a summer month, one of the worst of the last century here.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A poor month certainly, plenty of cool conditions with frequent showers or longer spells of rain. Only one day really gave a silver lining which came at the end of the month.

archives-2012-6-28-12-0.png?

archives-2012-6-28-12-1.png?

Temperatures managed to push past 80F in the south east with severe thunderstorms over north eastern England.

July kept the theme going, though there were thundery showers on many of the days before the final week which saw very warm and sunny conditions develop.

Whilst August still had some very unsettled spells, in general the coolness eased off with temperatures reaching 20C or higher on most days, there was even a brief hot spell mid month.

The saving grace of that summer was that there were some decent if brief summery spells and the cool and wet spells in East Anglia frequently ended in heavy and thundery showers. June was by far the worst month though.

Posted

By summer 2012 we were sick of rubbish summers, the 6th poor one on the trot but by far the worst probably since 1988.

Which made 2012 even worse. 2007 was awful but we were overdue a bad summer by that point, and at least the first week or so of June was very warm. Like you say by the time 2012 came around we were crying out for a half-decent summer but instead we ended up with the worst one in living memory. The end of July was merely alright (low 20s and sunshine); the rest was awful. August was better than the previous two months but had one of the worst NW/SE splits I can remember.

Summer 2012 and Winter 2013/14 were probably the worst two seasons I've had the misfortune to experience. I'm just grateful the latter didn't come immediately after the former - that would have been a horrific triple autumn. :shok:

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I spent most of the summer of 2012 in North Yorkshire.  I recall that the first half of July was exceptionally grey, and that we had a slow-moving depression around the British Isles that had potential to produce "sunny intervals and heavy slow-moving thundery downpours" scenarios but it was so cloudy that the convection struggled to get going.  There was some warm dry sunny weather in the last week of July and the first half of August had a spell of sunshine and thundery showers (4 consecutive days with thunder) followed by a dry sunny interlude, but dull wet weather returned in the second half of August.

July 2009 had a SW-NE split.  It was very wet almost everywhere, but most of the SW was very dull and largely thunder-free with cool days and warm nights, while much of northern and eastern Britain had a thundery month with temperatures a little above average and sunshine near or slightly above average.  In Cleadon in Tyne and Wear there were 7 days with thunder, compared with a long-term annual mean of 8 days.  Norwich also had 7 days with thunder that month, although by East Anglia's standards that isn't quite as exceptional (similarly thundery months happen there once every few years or so).  June and July 2007 were also notably thundery in Tyneside, and at Cleadon those months had 4 and 5 thunder-days respectively.  But June & July 2012 (apart from 28 June) were not particularly thundery months.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

But June & July 2012 (apart from 28 June) were not particularly thundery months.

Though August really made up for that. There were thunderstorms here on the 02nd, 04th, (05th - thunder heard but no storm), 12th, 21st, 25th and 29th. September was also exceptionally wet though interestingly, the last ten days were like a monsoon and no rain fell at all in the first ten days. September would have been the wettest month of the year here if not for the November that followed.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I recently tried something a bit different on my YouTube channel and made a historical video about the spring of 2012, plus June thrown in there too. It is something similar to what Gavin Partridge does when he makes his historical video, and I did ask for permission ;)

If you can get over my voice:

• Like 1