Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Flooding in the UK

MechEngLewis

I am currently undertaking my HNC/D in mechanical engineering. As part of this course I am required to carry out a research project. The topic I have chosen for my research is whether flooding in the UK is increasing and is there a market for domestic flood defences. I have found a few good sources of information for the trends in flooding and annual gorvenment costs but was wondering if anybody knows of any good data sources that could be useful for my project. The more the merrier. In addition to this I have formulated a short questionnaire to contribute to the market research aspect of my project. If anybody has ever been affected by flooding or knows anybody that has, then I would be very grateful if you could respond to my questionnaire found at http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/145758BIKCV the survey only consists of 6 questions and will take very little time to answer. The data collected will only be used for the purposes of my research paper and no personal information is required.

Any assistance with this will be grately appreciated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I am currently undertaking my HNC/D in mechanical engineering. As part of this course I am required to carry out a research project. The topic I have chosen for my research is whether flooding in the UK is increasing and is there a market for domestic flood defences. I have found a few good sources of information for the trends in flooding and annual gorvenment costs but was wondering if anybody knows of any good data sources that could be useful for my project. The more the merrier. In addition to this I have formulated a short questionnaire to contribute to the market research aspect of my project. If anybody has ever been affected by flooding or knows anybody that has, then I would be very grateful if you could respond to my questionnaire found at http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/145758BIKCV the survey only consists of 6 questions and will take very little time to answer. The data collected will only be used for the purposes of my research paper and no personal information is required.

Any assistance with this will be grately appreciated.

I'd say you should send the Met Office an email. They should be able to either provide you with plenty of relevant data or direct you to where you can get it. 

Posted

You don't show your location but if you are within travelling distance to Exeter their library is open to the public and has quite a bit of useful info.

As said above though, send them an email and have a scout around the MetO website.

Thanks guys, I have just e-mailed the Met Office directly and I'm now waiting for a response. I have browsed the website a few times before and have found some relevant information but the more data I can collect, the more informative my research paper can become. I appreciate that you have taken the time to read this and respond to it so thank you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

The Calder valley has been hit by numerous floods. Some due to 'stuck weather' over a period of weeks rendering the moors into big sponge runoffs, some from individual 'flash flood' events and one from a flash flood augmented by an upland reservoir collapse.

Many properties in the area have now installed a simple 'flood gate' system ( aided by the L.A.?) to add to sand bag protection. I think it ( the 'flood Gate' ) is a local invention/system so you might try contacting Calderdale Metropolitan borough council ( Environmental Health?) and see their approach to our issues here?