Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snowyowl9

Flu jab given to millions is 'useless'

Considering the Spanish flu deaths after WW1 were caused by Asprin overdose  the whole basis of the flu jab is foundless fear

While aspirin overdoses probably boosted the mortality rate, even in places where aspirin wasn't too prevalent still saw many deaths. Aside from that, that's quite a leap, be cause. 

I hope this isn't an anti-vaxx thread in the making...

Considering the Spanish flu deaths after WW1 were caused by Asprin overdose  the whole basis of the flu jab is foundless fear

As far as I'm aware there is still considerable debate about that. And I'm not sure of the connection to the modern flu jab and foundless fear.

I hope this isn't an anti-vaxx thread in the making...

The very same thought was going through my mind.

I had the flu jab in the Autumn, as i'm diabetic.

It doesn't overly bother me if it didn't work. However, it's not good for the elderly or those who have more serious diseases.

I also had the pneumococcal jab, which is supposed to protect you for life.

The seasonal flu jab is a vaccine against what is predicted to the be the most common strains of that season. There's always a chance that one might mutate and render the vaccine useless, doesn't mean they are bad or pointless, it's undoubtedly stopped a lot of people from getting ill over the years. Until they develop a "universal" flu jab that's just the way it is.

Each time you get flu, you supposedly build up a greater immunity in general to the various flu viruses. Or so I've been led to believe. I think I read, for example, those who fell victim to swine flu developed a general immunity to other strains...but I could be wrong on that one.

I've also read that in terms of the numbers of people getting the flu, the elderly are actually least at risk as they've most likely been exposed many times before. It's just if they do get it, they're more likely to suffer and it be fatal.

In terms of the actual flu jab, I know many who have had it and been very ill afterwards with mild flu like symptoms.

In terms of the actual flu jab, I know many who have had it and been very ill afterwards with mild flu like symptoms.

Not unusual. I was 'under the weather' for a couple of days, just after i was jabbed; in fact, in all the years i've had the flu jab i'd never felt so [email protected], after having it, as i did in October.

But, having said that i caught full blown flu about 10 years ago, at Xmas, and it was awful; i lost my appetite for days, terrible lower back ache, up and down temperature; i really did not want to get out of bed and the resultant cough stayed with me for 3 months afterwards.

So, i'd never put anyone off having the flu jab.

As for this Winter - well, i work in a large office and we've not had any significant numbers off ill with flu this winter, and a few hundred of us had the jab in October, paid for by our co.

Each time you get flu, you supposedly build up a greater immunity in general to the various flu viruses. Or so I've been led to believe. I think I read, for example, those who fell victim to swine flu developed a general immunity to other strains...but I could be wrong on that one.

It can cause a bad reaction but my understanding is that this is quite rare. It certainly hasn't caused me any problems over the years and I feel well worth the slight risk.

Not unusual. I was 'under the weather' for a couple of days, just after i was jabbed; in fact, in all the years i've had the flu jab i'd never felt so [email protected], after having it, as i did in October.But, having said that i caught full blown flu about 10 years ago, at Xmas, and it was awful; i lost my appetite for days, terrible lower back ache, up and down temperature; i really did not want to get out of bed and the resultant cough stayed with me for 3 months afterwards.So, i'd never put anyone off having the flu jab.As for this Winter - well, i work in a large office and we've not had any significant numbers off ill with flu this winter, and a few hundred of us had the jab in October, paid for by our co.

Had it twice and yes I could barely lift my head off the pillow. Had a little bowl by the side of the bed as my toilet as I couldn't even crawl to the bathroom.

The lower back pain you mention I think is the inflammation of the kidneys. At least I think it was for me as I had a little blood in my pee I think. Not a nice illness whichever way you look at it and so any form of protection has to be good.

Same issue every year so it's always the case if you're exposed to a strain not in the jab you'll get.

I've also read that in terms of the numbers of people getting the flu, the elderly are actually least at risk as they've most likely been exposed many times before. It's just if they do get it, they're more likely to suffer and it be fatal.

My husband contracted swine flu a few years back and I have to say that he is anything but immune to flu....the exact opposite actually. He has no resistance whatever to any type of flu or virus and is subsequently floored by whatever bug happens to be invading our air. He does get the flu vac every year as recommended by his GP. I've never had the vac and do not feel inclined to. If I'm going to get flu, I'll get it and deal with it as it comes.

My husband contracted swine flu a few years back and I have to say that he is anything but immune to flu....the exact opposite actually. He has no resistance whatever to any type of flu or virus and is subsequently floored by whatever bug happens to be invading our air. He does get the flu vac every year as recommended by his GP. I've never had the vac and do not feel inclined to. If I'm going to get flu, I'll get it and deal with it as it comes.

I'm quite OCD now as a result of episodes of flu etc. I wash my hands maybe 20-30 times a day, depending on where I've been and what I've touched. Even given the flu bouts I've had, norovirus is possibly the the thing that's made me feel crappiest. Horrible illness. That put me in bed for a week due to the side effect of dehydration.

I had the flu jab for the first time this year and had a very sore arm for a few days, while my little one got a slight temperature . A good few years back my Hubby got full blown swine flu and was quite ill, as was some one i worked with, but I didn't even get a cold so i found it quite odd i didn't get it as well. 

But agreed, he still gets flu like illness every year and his company pays for the jab. I guess it would be impossible to have every strain.

I wash my hands every time i go to my little one's school and i still got a bug so if your going to get something you will.

I had the flu jab for the first time this year and had a very sore arm for a few days, while my little one got a slight temperature . A good few years back my Hubby got full blown swine flu and was quite ill, as was some one i worked with, but I didn't even get a cold so i found it quite odd i didn't get it as well.

But agreed, he still gets flu like illness every year and his company pays for the jab. I guess it would be impossible to have every strain.

I wash my hands every time i go to my little one's school and i still got a bug so if your going to get something you will.

I have one hand I eat things with even if both hands are washed. The other hand does the dirty work I.e opening doors etc. You have to remember, even if you've washed your hands eventually, everything you've touched in the meantime could be contaminated (like a pocket, mobile phone etc) so it's easy to recontaminate yourself if you don't consciously recognise this fact. I've trained myself not to touch my face etc when I'm at work etc. Sounds hard work but it becomes routine after a while.

Obviously following hygiene regimes only lessens the probability, so you're quite right in what you say.

I was very much like you when i was working on the shop floor. I would wash my hands after putting out stock, touching the phone or using the computer, and i was lucky that i was able to do that. When i worked in cash we had anti-bac wipes to wipe our hands as i got chicken pox off a cashier, and it taught me to be extra careful round money. 

I wonder if these jabs are only making the bugs mutate more?

I decided never to have the flu again in 1983 . so far so good ..

Most people don`t know what flu is,I`ve never had it and I have no jabs(and don`t intend having any at it`ll weaken any immunse system its a virus afterall that's in the jab),a stronger imune system.

I`ve never had measles/mumps/chicken pox either when everyone else had mumps,thats ugly to see.

I've never had measles, but had mumps, german measles and chicken pox twice. As far as flu is i'm not sure, i can remember being quite poorly when i was younger.There is chicken pox at my little one school ATM, so i'm hoping we will escape it like we did last year.

Flu vaccine contains weak or death pathogens the root cause of the Flu although diluted enough to be no threat from there our bodies produce antibodies this happens between 1 to 2 weeks after vaccination, for some people it's not a matter of flicking a switch, our bodies do scramble when something out of norm happens for good reason, good immune system equates to less illness, and a faster recovery rate.

I have had chicken pox I was 3 and I have slight recollections, of being on holiday in the summer hols. At IOW at some holiday resort which I now believe has been knocked down and has been made to high class flats...as a kid it was a magical place. Adjacent to yellow sandy beach with pristine blue water I think if me memory serves me right, hovercraft always excited me! still does :p but at that age I do not think I had much concept of what was going on.

Had chicken pox when I was 14 or 15. Caught it off my little brother when he was 4 or 5. Did well to avoid it til my teens I think!

Public health bodies around the world need to do much more to raise general knowledge about the immune system and vaccines.  The help it would do to eradication campaigns and antibiotic resistance would be enormous.  After all everyone gets 10's of vaccines in their lives but hardly anyone can tell you how they work or harbour a lingering suspicion that they are bad for them.

Most people don`t know what flu is,I`ve never had it and I have no jabs(and don`t intend having any at it`ll weaken any immunse system its a virus afterall that's in the jab),a stronger imune system.
I`ve never had measles/mumps/chicken pox either when everyone else had mumps,thats ugly to see.

That is like saying you wouldn't drink a liquidised tomato, because if you'd tried it when the tomato was whole you would have choked on it.

Apart from the provision of clean drinking water, vaccination has saved more lives worldwide than any other intervention. It is rated by the World Health Organization as one of the 10 most important contributors to human health.

Vaccination does not weaken the immune system. Having a sore arm after a vaccination is part of the immune response that eventually results in immunity against the disease.

Although the protection rate in the USA and the UK against 'flu was only 3% this year, in most years it will provide 90% protection in people under the age of 60, and about 70% in older adults.

The most common vectors of 'flu are children. Vaccinating all of them (>95% coverage) would confer greater protection to the elderly than the current model where the elderly have to volunteer for the vaccination and the vast majority of children are unvaccinated.

I have written that I had the jab...

AAAAHHHH

I am now hopefully on the road to recovery of what I can only describe as 'flu'.

Hit me like a train tuesday evening while i was in the Doctors for something completely different, my little one had caught it before any of us, so i was there for me and hubs to take her to her appointment.

Couldn't get out of bed for two days and only wanted to drink, then I seemed to get one thing after another - sore throat, ear ache if i swallowed, head ache. I lost my voice before the cough started.

It's typical that the one year i decide to go for it, I get it any way and if it wasn't it was very very close.

• Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners - Blog by Jenny Bell WWW.NETWEATHER.TV In the first in a regular series of gardening articles, Jenny Bell gives her top tips for new gardeners who are maybe taking their first gardening steps during the lockdown.  

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Warm Sunny Days Before A More Unsettled & Cooler Easter Weekend

High pressure in charge next few days will bring warm sunshine for many, but from Good Friday and through the Easter Weekend it will turn cooler and more unsettled with showers. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather