Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, freezing rain, hail, thunderstorms!

driven through falling snow eastbound (from Devon) into Somerset - over the high point of the Black downs along the A303! car temp showing as 1.5c that was at approx 5:30pm, so with colder air coming from the east - could be interesting!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

Cold rain here in the west of the Isle of Wight.  Precipitation not heavy enough for cooling, looks like we are just on the edge of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Amazing South Isle of Wight got hit and the North got nothing an hour ago. Settled in places too grrrr... Is it just me or is the radar emptying out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Cold rain here in the west of the Isle of Wight.  Precipitation not heavy enough for cooling, looks like we are just on the edge of it.

Strange, the whole of the East side of the IOW and where I was, we just got absolutely battered by extremely heavy snow, like really really heavy, it settled everywher! and lasted a good 45 minutes! Came across a pretty bad accident too!

Posted
https://f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/uploads/monthly_02_2015/post-2587-0-30868500-1423163603.png Just got this from the south eastern forum. Precipitation building in the Thames... Fingers crossed
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Damp, cold, light rain.

Dreading a cold March - please let Spring arrive early.

Indeed...having seen only a few minutes of sleet this winter so far, I'd rather get into thunderstorm seeking mode when we get to late March onwards.

Was it March 2013 where we saw very cold weather but it stayed predominantly grey and dry here in the W Country? Better than flooding of course but still...Bleurgh.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

https://f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/uploads/monthly_02_2015/post-2587-0-30868500-1423163603.png Just got this from the south eastern forum. Precipitation building in the Thames... Fingers crossed

Our precipitation is coming from the west, not east.

Posted

Our precipitation is coming from the west, not east.

for the Isle of Wight its streaming down from the capital my friend..,. Been hooked on will it rain today for the precipitation
  • Like 1

Posted

Strange, the whole of the East side of the IOW and where I was, we just got absolutely battered by extremely heavy snow, like really really heavy, it settled everywher! and lasted a good 45 minutes! Came across a pretty bad accident too!

Well looking east towards your way at dusk, it was black as hell. Quite a sight..

• Like 1

Posted

Heres my full view from what just happened....

Around 5ish, had a phone call from my mate saying that he actually had seen a lightning strike and the sky was mental! So I shot down to the seafront to get a better look, there was a shelf cloud to my South East, and to my North there was this absolute beast of a shower coming directly for us! Culver disappeared in Snow and Soft hail! Then my mate came to pick me up to chase it! It first started as sleet, then rapidly turned to very heavy snow! Like we got by Wroxall and it  got so heavy we litereally had to stop driving as it was a white out! Settling everywhere! It was an OMG moment :O.

Was very fun to be out in.

Downfall though we cam across a pretty bad Accident not far from Shanklin :/, and buses stopped running too and people had to walk, felt sorry for them :(

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Just had our first snow shower of the evening with plenty more to come by the looks of things. Temperature down to 3.1 and falling steadily. Things are pretty lively out there  :cold:  :D

Posted

Well looking east towards your way at dusk, it was black as hell. Quite a sight..

It sure was amazing, i got some pictures which I will upload of the sky just before it hit

• Like 2

Posted

Yeah the black clouds looked ominous but skimmed Ryde and hit sandown,lake,shanklin etc couldn't believe it

Just had our first snow shower of the evening with plenty more to come by the looks of things. Temperature down to 3.1 and falling steadily. Things are pretty lively out there  :cold:  :D

the channel looks very lively for you guys tonight! Good luck pal
  • Like 1

Posted

Catch a look at BBC News24 in next hour; insane snowfall in Northern Spain. Kind of stuff we get in SW once every 10 years or so.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Catch a look at BBC News24 in next hour; insane snowfall in Northern Spain. Kind of stuff we get in SW once every 10 years or so.

British tourists trapped in snow in northern Spain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31150243

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

One or two flakes falling in Soton. 1/10 lol.  1.8, dp -1.3, wc -2.0.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Yeah the black clouds looked ominous but skimmed Ryde and hit sandown,lake,shanklin etc couldn't believe it

the channel looks very lively for you guys tonight! Good luck pal

Cheers iowpompeylee :) ... next shower incoming ... temp down to 1.8C. If only we could tap into those larger looking echoes to our West. All that snow going to waste, not wanting to sound greedy or anything :D

Edited by Fitzwis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Heres my full view from what just happened....

Around 5ish, had a phone call from my mate saying that he actually had seen a lightning strike and the sky was mental! So I shot down to the seafront to get a better look, there was a shelf cloud to my South East, and to my North there was this absolute beast of a shower coming directly for us! Culver disappeared in Snow and Soft hail! Then my mate came to pick me up to chase it! It first started as sleet, then rapidly turned to very heavy snow! Like we got by Wroxall and it  got so heavy we litereally had to stop driving as it was a white out! Settling everywhere! It was an OMG moment :O.

Was very fun to be out in.

Downfall though we cam across a pretty bad Accident not far from Shanklin :/, and buses stopped running too and people had to walk, felt sorry for them :(

Funny you mentoring about the sky turning black and an ominous sky.. My parents in their 80s text me to say the Sky looked mad.. They never do that so it must have been something. They live in Chichester!

Posted

Once every 10 years? I've never seen snow like that!!

Hmmm, maybe December 2010 at a push, but it looked more than that!

Edited by dec10snow
  • Like 1

Posted

When are we getting near the 10 years again? 

Just can't get over this cold spell, not one day of snow on the ground, a few flakes here and there I dunno if I should laugh or cry then we finally get precip over this area today and it falls as rain couldn't make it up really!  :rofl:

Roll on Spring so I can get back out fishing I'm a fair weather fisherman and not ashamed to admit it!  :D

I'd like to see a 34c heatwave or hotter this summer, I'd be happy with it being a record breaker of around 38!  :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

When are we getting near the 10 years again? 

Just can't get over this cold spell, not one day of snow on the ground, a few flakes here and there I dunno if I should laugh or cry then we finally get precip over this area today and it falls as rain couldn't make it up really!  :rofl:

Roll on Spring so I can get back out fishing I'm a fair weather fisherman and not ashamed to admit it!  :D

I'd like to see a 34c heatwave or hotter this summer, I'd be happy with it being a record breaker of around 38!  :rofl:

Almost as bad as last winter in fact I saw a bigger snowfall last winter compared to this!  granted it was only on mendips but still at least it fell, we had two dustings of less than inch but I missed both working in Bristol.

Only thing better is the frosts and lack of rain.

I often get more luck with snow events with cold zonality with back edge falls ect in mildish winters with elevation.

Edited by Nights King

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Once every 10 years? I've never seen snow like that!!

Hmmm, maybe December 2010 at a push, but it looked more than that!

I was lucky in dec 2010 but Bristol saw very little in the coldest December for 100 years! :rofl:

I do think Bristol is one of the most sheltered and least snowy places in uk as even Cornish seem to see more.