Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

I recommend Finland mate, it's amazing and so unspoilt and the snow is just fantastic. They normally get snow late October and it doesn't go until may. Been twice and booking up for next winter!!

Plus if you go to Northern Finland, you get the chance to see the Northern Lights... ASTONISHING!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

I recommend Finland mate, it's amazing and so unspoilt and the snow is just fantastic. They normally get snow late October and it doesn't go until may. Been twice and booking up for next winter!!

Thanks for the tip, chance of seeing the northern lights too, what more could I ask for?

Plus if you go to Northern Finland, you get the chance to see the Northern Lights... ASTONISHING!!!

just beat me to it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

That's where I go! I love it there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms & Snow!

Deffo on my bucket list! An absolute dream of mine!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Well im waiting for my snow flurries around 1am, god hope i dont have :) to stay up until gone 2 on here again, well i wont not just for a flake or 2

Posted

After my weekend in the Cairngorms I've seen what proper snow is like. As nice as it was to see this mornings snow falling I really noticed the difference. Up there even at 5c with around 0c dewpoint the snow was dry, even with the gritted roads. So why is it that when it is 5 here with 0 dewpoint it's damp and dreary? Can't believe I'll have to wait til next winter for a proper snow fix, might try the alps or finland next time I think. This southern england snow just doesnt cut the mustard.

I know exactly what you mean.I was in Lithuania over Christmas and it hammered it down with snow on Christmas Eve.The snow ploughs were out in the morning including little ones for pavements :). By Boxing day it was -15 and the snow was sparkling in the glorious sunshine.For us,especially in the south of the UK,something like that is so rare that we end up happy with maybe 2cm of snow that melts by midday. At least it was proper snowball making snow last night,though :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Anyway.... It's cold outside, we have clear skies IMBY at the moment and frost / ice is starting to form on the cars outside.

Temp 0.6. DP -2

Edited by LeighD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Strange comparison but for the sake of clarity I am asking a genuine question. It's a weather website, and weather happens all year round in one way or another. This thread is bombarded for a few days of the year when snow is possible. The rest of the year it's like a graveyard.

Just for clarity, between May and start of November, 7520 posts made in this thread, and nearly 250,000 views.......this has been the busiest regional thread during that time period by a considerable margin............one busy graveyard, people must be dying to get in!  :smile:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

I recommend going to Kilpisjarvi in Northern Finland for Northern Lights. It is on a plateau right near the 'Triple Country Point' (the border of Finland, Sweden and Norway) and a great place to view the Aurora, plus it is a short drive down through a fantastic mountain gorge to the Norwegian Fjords, which are stunning in winter!!

(Here's a pic from my digital camera, mainly used film up there, so not the best picture, but gives an idea!) :D

post-2587-0-33391100-1422994863_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I recommend going to Kilpisjarvi in Northern Finland for Northern Lights. It is on a plateau right near the 'Triple Country Point' (the border of Finland, Sweden and Norway) and a great place to view the Aurora, plus it is a short drive down through a fantastic mountain gorge to the Norwegian Fjords, which are stunning in winter!!

(Here's a pic from my digital camera, mainly used film up there, so not the best picture, but gives an idea!) :D

Beautiful.

Posted

Boston, Finland what next. :(

Nothing like snow on your doorstep, one day I hope to go alpine not for some while it seems.

Radar does not inspire much hope, early days.

Posted
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters

just had a look at the radar , :lazy:  :lazy:  :lazy:  :lazy:  :lazy: PANTS .Mad thread not entirely enthusiastic either . On a better note ,winter is NOT over for a good while yet :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat

Anyway.... It's cold outside, we have clear skies IMBY at the moment and frost / ice is starting to form on the cars outside.

Temp 0.6. DP -2

Hi Leigh. Just got back from a chilly walk to the shops. looking quite frosty now out there and very chilly. I like it though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, sun, thunder, storms, frosts, summer heatwaves.

Last shower was rainy sleety stuff.  Hope for better come Thursday but not overly optimistic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot

So the precip that was coming off the North Sea into E Kent has now moved into the Channel, would anyone expect further precip out of the North Sea into the region again overnight or is that it?   Not quite sure how to work that out from models.

Just looked at GFS precip chart which would suggest that's it until potentially early hours thurs morning but not sure if that is reliable way  to do it? 

Let me guess... nowcast?

Edited by Big Dave

Posted

Hi Leigh. Just got back from a chilly walk to the shops. looking quite frosty now out there and very chilly. I like it though.

Nice to see some local to me. It is very chilly outside, I hope we get something again tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters

So the precip that was coming off the North Sea into E Kent has now moved into the Channel, would anyone expect further precip out of the North Sea into the region again overnight or is that it?   Not quite sure how to work that out from models.

sorry to say ,but no it doesn't look like it ,looks clear for most of the night .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters

Just looked at GFS precip chart which would suggest that's it until potentially early hours thurs morning but not sure if that is reliable way  to do it? 

Let me guess... nowcast?

it's clearly the only way in the uk when it comes to snow. it's a nightmare to predict.

mod thread is a waste of space for the white stuff and those that get it right are just guessing. same as those that get it wrong. as well as the so called pros.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Last shower was rainy sleety stuff.  Hope for better come Thursday but not overly optimistic.

Must have warmed up some, as hardly even any sleet in the last one, they've all had wet snow through the heaviest bits before. thought things would cool down.

Posted

Does anyone know where you can get historical radar and chart data? I'm curious to see what the charts looked like for January 1987 for the south east and also any radar imagery as those sea effect showers must have looked pretty amazing. Remember getting 2.5 feet up on the north downs.

Maybe 2.5mm's tonight? lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

We best hope it does come down to nowcast because to me it does not look that great for Thursday, I will happily be wrong.

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted

Let me guess... nowcast?

GFS got today's snow forecast right a few days ago and did not back down on this. GFS has been showing Thursday as another wintry event for the SE for a few days as well. Let's see how this pans out

Posted

I wonder if some of the more knowledgeable can help me out on this. I'm under one of those showers affecting north Essex as we speak. I have an outside temperature of -1.2c and it was clear and frosty until this shower arrived. We have a dp of -0.5c and uppers of -8c. Somehow it is raining. The water is freezing on contact but it is most definitely rain. Where is the warm air coming from in the atmosphere to melt the snow on its journey to the ground? I thought it might be the sea but the air with current wind direction is having to track across about 60 miles of land which should allow it to cool especially and we have very light winds.

Edited by fine wine