Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted

Yeah

Even Mainland Europe can get some pretty similar synoptics to the US, So would not have to go that far and am sure it would be a cheap SleazyJet Flight for under £100 - Must get myself across to France or Germany for some of these storms one summer, Poland actually and some of the biggest Tornadoes in Europe though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Been a cloudy day, quite still too, although there is now quite a breeze blowing from the ese. Still cloudy, current temp 4.4. Had a max of 6.1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Cloudy and quite chilly day today, max was at Midnight, 4.5, it is now 3.4. Been hovering between 3.4-3.5 all day. Very little wind, but when it does blow it's a chilly one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Wow only 3 posts today !! Must be the dirty high scenario.

Still think this winters going to go out with a bang rather than a whimper.

Posted

Wow only 3 posts today !! Must be the dirty high scenario.

Still think this winters going to go out with a bang rather than a whimper.

It would be interesting if it happened but i rather think that southernman has jiinxed the rest of the winter as I had a lot of longlife and dried milk which I stock every winter in case it snows and i said to him we should use it now but he said "don't use it till March as it might snow". So of course it won't snow now he said that.

It has been very cold here and seems to be getting colder all the time.

Posted

It would be interesting if it happened but i rather think that southernman has jiinxed the rest of the winter as I had a lot of longlife and dried milk which I stock every winter in case it snows and i said to him we should use it now but he said "don't use it till March as it might snow". So of course it won't snow now he said that.

It has been very cold here and seems to be getting colder all the time.

Hi Jenny, southernman might be onto something going by GFS winter has a sting to its tail?

post-19153-0-01212800-1423678204_thumb.jpost-19153-0-04763300-1423678229_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

What a horrid few days it has been since last seeing the sun on Monday. At least there is very little wind but it feels freezing cold. Can't wait 'til this shifts.

Posted

news from Yarmouth is that its freezing and snowing very very lightly in the breeze, or at least it was just after lunch.

Well tomorrow looks grim...

yes from the weather on tv today i understand there's a gale coming? and it should be over this way at about three oclock in the afternoon?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Not liking this cold chill in the weather, that warmer (by comparison) sunshine a few days ago would be very welcome again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Another gloomy start to the day here.

Gloomy start, dont you mean the gloomy start to another gloomy day. :wallbash: :wallbash:

Think for once I will take a rainy day cause after the rain comes the sun.

Crosses fingers hands bodies......

Posted

Is It true the highest spring tides in decades is due to occur approx mid to late February bad news for those living adjacent to east coast coinciding with gales - if the ECM 00z is correct. I hope to god it doesn't transpire.

post-19153-0-01594900-1423762925_thumb.j

Posted

Actually I look forward to the rain the ground is quite firm/dry, we need the rain badly so does the farmers especially, including reservoirs! this winter is like being in the Middle East compared to the last one. :wink:

Posted

Is It true the highest spring tides in decades is due to occur approx mid to late February bad news for those living adjacent to east coast coinciding with gales - if the ECM 00z is correct. I hope to god it doesn't transpire.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

They are just the normal big spring tides you get at this time of the year.

Peaking at 6.3m at Southend on 20/22nd Feb.

Not sure where you get the biggest tides in decades from.

To be honest I dont think it matters what the height of the tide is, if you get that deep low in the right place in the North Sea, its brown pants for many.

For the south and west coasts I am not informed, apart from the windier it is the worse it is..

Posted

Actually I look forward to the rain the ground is quite firm/dry, we need the rain badly so does the farmers especially, including reservoirs! this winter is like being in the Middle East compared to the last one. :wink:

Any winter compared to last year will feel like being in a desert lol..

Posted

They are just the normal big spring tides you get at this time of the year.

Peaking at 6.3m at Southend on 20/22nd Feb.

Not sure where you get the biggest tides in decades from.

To be honest I dont think it matters what the height of the tide is, if you get that deep low in the right place in the North Sea, its brown pants for many.

For the south and west coasts I am not informed, apart from the windier it is the worse it is..

From elsewhere all the same it would be precarious, December 2013 was rough if I cast my mind back.

Fixed typo

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

From elsewhere all the same it would precarious, December 2013 was rough if I cast my mind back.

Why would they be precarious though ?  These are just average/usual 'spring' tides which occur regularly.  No idea how you can compare that to the exceptionaly  stormy weather which happened in December 2013.

Posted

Why would they be precarious though ? These are just average/usual 'spring' tides which occur regularly. No idea how you can compare that to the exceptionaly stormy weather which happened in December 2013.

In this period they will be higher than usual equating to a higher risk of coastal flooding. T240 chart posted could result in extensive flooding at high tide, not quite sure about a storm surge - as the low crosses west to east to the north of Scotland as it did on December 5th as low pulls away winds veer more NW'ly, this funnels turbulent water towards UK soil. Some areas will be under fire. This raises the sea level here's a fact: 1 millibar change in pressure gives 1cm change in sea level. It also displaces water southwards with high winds the seas will be whipped up and angry, 2013/2014 although fairly disturbed had nothing crazy synoptically. It was just how it seemed to sustain.

post-19153-0-23358700-1423768065_thumb.jpost-19153-0-88239700-1423768609_thumb.j

Chart is perhaps not the best example but you can see the concern, more so for the wash northwards. At this timeframe not worth worrying about, but it ought to be watched closely.

Edited by Daniel*