Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted

End of March/beginning of April 2010 offered some of the best and long staying snow I've seen in recent years.

End of March/beginning of April 2010 offered some of the best and long staying snow I've seen in recent years.

Let's see what happens this year! Don't see spring like conditions coming soon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

So I am the only person on the forum at 2.18am. This either means I suffer from insomnia or have the utmost enthusiasm that something may happen at some time weatherwise. - which won't be soon! So back to insomnia I guess. Weatherwise - it's dark outside.

Posted

I notice that a lot of the experts are throwing in the towel for anymore snow!! Strange, as ive seen more white easter's and only 1 white proper xmas in my lifetime.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A patchy frost here this morning. The sun is out though so it should be a decent day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Lovely start to the day here, Not sure how long the sun will stick around for though.

A boring 10 days of weather coming up, perhaps some fog at times if you like that sort of thing.

Bit early to say chances of snow are over, I've seen more snow in late Feb & start of spring than I have Pre-Christmas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Lovely Sunny day here, days like today make you just want Spring to arrive now as we all know the winter days are running out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Lovely sun day temp 5.7 breezy nne wind.

Not sure why people are throwing in the towel for winter, people thought the last 2 cold spell wouldn't turn up till sudden switches happened, who knows another may happen or may be not. No one knows.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Generally sunny with some mid-level cloud (mainly cumulus and stratocumulus).

Edited by chrisbell-nottheforecaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Lovely start to the day here, Not sure how long the sun will stick around for though.

A boring 10 days of weather coming up, perhaps some fog at times if you like that sort of thing.

Bit early to say chances of snow are over, I've seen more snow in late Feb & start of spring than I have Pre-Christmas.

Looks mostly sunny today and probably tomorrow as the set up looks similar with cloud breaking up over the eastern half of the UK. So another ground frost tonight followed by a mostly sunny day tomorrow. It's Tuesday onwards where cloud and fog could become as issue as the high pushes eastwards and the winds fall light.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Not a bad day here, been out in the back garden, sunny, dry, warm and no less that four Red Kites riding the thermals and calling to each other as they circle round, fantastic sight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Here is my delayed picture of the Moon Dog from the other night, it's not the best quality, mind....

post-15135-0-97614100-1423398228_thumb.j

Edited by Lauren

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

Lovely sunny day in London and for the first time this year I can feel a bit of warmth in the sun. I'm very much getting into Spring time mode now, my enthusiasm for cold weather always wains around this time of year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Lovely late winter sunshine here in Norwich had a max temp of 8.1c in the garden. Even sat outside with a coffee and there was some warmth in the sun too as no wind about.

So really looks like the UK will finish up with a average UK winter. Saw 10 mins of snow here and that was it, least 10mins more than last.

lets hope spring is round the corner and we all not talking about snow in 4 weeks or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

To be honest i would love to be talking about snow in 4 weeks time. I always look on snow potential months as December, January, February & March. With the right set up low lying snow is achievable in these months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Temp got up to 7.8 today, was mostly nice and sunny, a few clouds floating about now and then, temp now down to 3.0 no wind to speak of. Looks clear but a can smell a mist in the air, so expect fog may develop. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Nice bit of sunshine today which made a refreshing change from cloud.

This high looks to be dominant for the foreseeable but still plenty of time for winter to have another shot at snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

8.5 here today and a thermometer placed in the sun reached 17! Really beautiful day up here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Good Evening everyone,

As we had our grandson with us we decided to go down to Mill Beach near Maldon and it felt so warm where it was sheltered that we sat on the sand for a quick picnic and he then played in his t shirt.

It was extremely pleasant and felt spring like

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted

Nice day with plenty of sunshine. Feels like a taste of things to come when Spring arrives.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Have to say once this time of the year comes alone, longer days, light  till 5 ish, just cant wait for those early warm spring days.

Really nothing worse than a dragging winter.

Ok when its proper cold, but most of the time it never is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold with frost & snow in winter; hot and dry in summer

I have put the post below in the Winter 2014-15 thread but thought it was relevant for the regional as well. I suspect on my winter index all of us in this region are currently scoring 0 !

It is interesting to read the different perspectives on this winter so far and where it sits against others. It certainly seems that the further north you are, especially with elevation, the more palatable this winter has been.

I have a very simple view on whether a winter has been a good one or not for my location sat about 550 ft up in the Chiltern hills. The question I ask myself is this ' Has the winter produced weather that is very highly unlikely to be repeated in any other season ? This, in my view, means the following :-

A reasonable number of days ( say minimum 8 of which the snow element to be minimum 4) across the 90 day period of the following weather experiences :-

1) Falling snow that accumulates and then has at least 1 day without any thaw in the shade.

2) A frost that lasts all day in the shade and starts to reform as soon as the sun sets.

Although I have experienced a number of days with snow falling and several frosts the sum total for this season is currently 0. Looking at the current charts it seems highly unlikely that the score will get to 1 within the next 10 days and that will leave c 10 days of winter left ! I therefore suspect that I will be assessing this winter as very poor overall.

I do appreciate that this winter has been better than what was delivered for the 90 day period from 1st December 2013- 28 February 2014 but quite why anyone would want to compare this winter against that period and use it as a benchmark is beyond me. I can't even bring myself to call it a winter season as to my mind we had an extended autumn that then moved uninterrupted into Spring.

No doubt there will be a bit of a post mortem once winter is over. I have to say however that I will be hard pushed to read a better summary of the frustrations surrounding this years non delivery than that posted by Matt Hugo on the Strat thread yesterday. If you have not read it then I suggtest that you take the time to do so. It sums up my views/feelings entirely.

I do admire anyone who has taken the time to put together a seasonal winter forecast. So much work goes into so many of them and they all make a lot of sense. It seems to me that there are just so many variables and it seems as though only one needs to work against us for the whole blxxdy cold potential to dissapear and the dial to swing towards mild or cool rather than deep cold. I have to say that when we got to the Christmas period and there was no real sign of a strong and deep cold pool building to our East across Western Russia, Scandinavia and Eastern Europe I was starting to worry. If you look back at a long of the historic cold winters the vast majority had this characteristic in place. The hype back in the late Autumn suggested that this would happen and I was certainly hoping that a strong cold block would establish in aforementioned areas and start to influence Western Europe. It was not to be.... I will be looking for the same characteristics in early winter next year, and again if they do not materialise I will start to worry. Already it seems that the QBO will be West based next year and that will be expected to work against us. Whatever the signals I will be back for another season and will thoroughly enjoy the reading and learning experience.

I do hope we have some very late winter and early Spring cold to send us all into the spring and summer period in better spirits.