Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England & East Anglia - Weather Chat >> 1st Feb Onwards

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I see the Wash Wacker streamer has been producing for the last hour, dropping off a bit now tho http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

It's Rain now unfortunately , but a good covering on the ground from earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow , Extreme weather events

Wow! What's the asl of Reigate Hill Plum? Wondering if it's worth a trip up to Boxhill again which is about 275 I think?x

yes both very similar in height (below) 

Reigate hill is 771 feet (235 m) high

Box Hill  735 ft (224 m) high  

Posted

Looking at all the parameters for tonight I would say the flow alignment is NOT condusive to a thames streamer - it looks more like a Mid kent streamer flow to me ( or even east kent.)

S

I would say east of say Gillingham perhaps Sittinbourne at the moment but anything can change last minute

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

The usual suspects ramping I see

Sort of..

Rubbish here again rain/sleet. Might as well get this so called winter out the way :( SOB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The sky is brightening up here, that streamer running from the wash will likely turn to rain except for over the hills. That line of showers is the dividing line between the less cold air toppling in from the north and the cold air pushing into the south east from the continent.

Last chance saloon now, what can the north sea must in terms of snow showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Hi Steve. Good to see you back posting on the Mod Discussion. Hopefully signifies there's still some possibilities left for this winter!

If you've got time, could you remind me who stands to benefit from a "Mid Kent Streamer". I suspect I'll be a bit too far west, having of course been too far south and east so far this week.

Draw a line Canterbury Ashford Hastings, that line and all points east at risk IMO. Showers need to kick up in intensity though as it all looks a bit feable right now.

Posted

Would anyone kindly be able to tell me the height of devils dyke thanks.

http://www.paraglidingmap.com/sites/devil-s-dyke

193m

Posted

I would say east of say Gillingham perhaps Sittinbourne at the moment but anything can change last minute

hope you are right,  :D just off to work hopefully get the deliveries done before it starts and then i can chill and watch

Posted

This wash streamer is so localised. You are looking about about 30-40 miles in width stretching SW from the Wash down to Oxford. Frustrating to watch when you are not under it, great when you are!

As for later, I agree with what others have said, the wind will not have enough of an Easterly element to it for a Thames streamer. If any convection is going to spark off, then I would say the likes of Maidstone down towards Tunbridge Wells and East of that will have the best shot. Other than that, cold and dry.

Edited by Shrimper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Draw a line Canterbury Ashford Hastings, that line and all points east at risk IMO. Showers need to kick up in intensity though as it all looks a bit feable right now.

Cheers Azores. As I suspected I'll be a bit too far west. Just need an "extreme south coast clipper" which I'll be too far north for and I'll have completed the full set! :clap:  

Posted

You have forgotten to say Thanet will stay clear of anything wintry! Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Can see this being another non event surprise surprise my snow symbols on BBC have downgraded again.from 4 hours of snow symbols last night to 1 this morning and now a sleet symbol= rubbish! When will there ever be a time for an upgrade?!

Posted

Here in Crawley we had two hours of snow from about 7.30 this morning, didn't really settle as too wet but it was nice to see some snow falling!

Had another little burst of sleety snow around 9.30. Can't see the North Downs but presumed they've got a nice covering.

My "target" this year was to see some snow falling and to see lying snow, achieved both of those in cold spell, I've known worse cold spells!

I remember the ones from the mid naughties where you very luck to see snow falling, even more if it laid. Back then you got one snowy scene per cold spell. In this cold spell I've seen snow fall over a number of days, only thin missing was the lying to a proper depth of at least an inch, however overall it's been pretty good

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Oxford looks good right now.

Nope mainly light and patchy this time with nothing settling,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

You canna break the laws of physics, cap'n!

It's a cold spell, Jim, but not as we know it...

Posted

That's weird - the radar from 10:15 to 10:30 onwards suddenly loses all of those potent showers to our north east in the north sea. Radar issues or totally dying out?

Edited by Nemesis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

That's weird - the radar from 10:15 to 10:30 onwards suddenly loses all of those potent showers to our north east in the north sea. Radar issues or totally dying out?

looks like radar issues.. they've reappeared now