Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Tracking the potential Polar Low - Thursday into Friday

How on earth can this be a polar low - it's close on 5c here in the warm sector of this standard secondary low.

• Like 1
  • Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it only me, or are the 'is it a/isn't it a Polar low' reamrks just plain old semantics.........as long as I get a dumping of snow, you can call it a lesser spotted chocolate teapot if you want    

Hi all.  Had great fun following this brilliant forum last night.  Just to introduce myself; I was senior forecaster at Manchester Weather Centre for 20 years, now retired.  I think that it was defini

so then....members in the west believe it'll track down the irish sea giving the action in the western regions...... members in the east believe it'll track though northern england and the SE giving s

Posted Images

How on earth can this be a polar low - it's close on 5c here in the warm sector of this standard secondary low.

I guess when the barotropic system formed in -35°C 500hpA air to the northwest of Scotland, the surface conditions 800 miles to the south and 12hours later really didn't enter into the mix. It may have become more baroclinic now though.

• Like 3

I guess when the barotropic system formed in -35°C 500hpA air to the northwest of Scotland, the surface conditions 800 miles to the south and 12hours later really didn't enter into the mix. It may have become more baroclinic now though.

100% Baroclinic now imo. After careful reading, it would suggest that it was a polar low when it was born. But, it became heavily modified since then. It would have been really interesting if it had slipped down the East coast- a touch out in the North sea. Nonetheless, It certainly caused a good stir. :)

Just goes to show how a tiny amount of height makes a difference here.

The slightly less cold Atlantic air getting into the flow definitely wont be helping either