Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tracking the potential Polar Low - Thursday into Friday

Met4Cast

Posted

Latest ECM has a spell of heavy snowfall for the East Midlands and parts of northern England, very similar to what the new NMM shows.

Hi Nick,  I see parts of south yorks could be favoured as well what area's of south yorks, I am in barnsley and from last nights showers and todays we didnt see hat much but I could see a better set up from this tonight>?

Posted

So the BBC are going W. Going to have to disagree with them on this one!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Hi Nick,  I see parts of south yorks could be favoured as well what area's of south yorks, I am in barnsley and from last nights showers and todays we didnt see hat much but I could see a better set up from this tonight>?

Going by the ECM, South Yorks looks very good! That's only one model, however, and the situation is very uncertain. We have clients in South Yorkshire so might alert the duty forecaster to the potential if he hasn't already seen it.

This is what northerly flows do, they bring features out of nowhere seemingly. I just wish it was a couple of degrees cooler to guarantee any falling precip as snow everywhere. Yorkshire is certainly in colder air though.

I don't like criticising fellow forecasters, but the BBC and Met Office are notoriously slow at updating to real-time situations as we know. It's infuriating! They might be right though, you never know.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

BBC forecast mentioned swirl off NW Scotland and also said Glasgow getting more snow tonight and going from charts on BBC Scotland then Midlands look best for tonight and also SE later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Indeed sir, I owe you an apology. I assumed you meant the LP system tracking down from the north on Mon/Tues

This is very much in the category of a polar low, though I did expect it not to have any warmer air trapped, as far as I was aware, Polar lows had all got very frigid air trapped up! 

Ya live and learn!

Haha no worries - Must admit, this is the most fun I've had model and radar watching for quite a while

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Once it is over land, it will decay fairly rapidly

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

My current thoughts on the tracking of this system. Went for more of a middle ground between the ECM, EURO4 and NMM

post-7073-0-66394600-1422556527_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Yep, they always do.

I see it going through the Irish Sea, into NW England, affecting N Wales, NW England, Peak District and parts of yorkshire, before moving south into the Midlands and decaying.

Those in Buxton, Castleton, Glossop could see some very large falls.

• Like 2

I sure god dam hope so, right in the middle of that lot,Meto have upgraded here at 5.00pm from light showers to a spell of heavy snow, bring it on

Me too :D

Please sir, can I have some more?  :whistling:

Is this based on the interpretation that it is a polar low? Would a non-polar low behave differently in terms of longevity?

Is this based on the interpretation that it is a polar low? Would a non-polar low behave differently in terms of longevity?

It is a Polar Low, and they decay very quickly. A normal LP front or trough can push right through, IE - Like today.

Posted

Hi TEITS, so in your opinion then, do you believe the track to be heading further East ? . If that's the case, do you think that, the snow will affect our area, moving through the midlands and clipping Peterborough then down to St Neots ? Or am I seriously clutching at straws ?

Posted

For those mentioning the minimum 500mb temperature for formation (my understanding circa -40C) - the upper temps were very close to that just before initiation.

gfs-2015012900-13-6_szw8.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Posted

I've cross referenced the current location of the low v the projected track using the high resolution net weather model.

I've uploaded it to YouTube

Snow map: http://youtu.be/2LXEhqoI-MY

Track seems about right so far to me a touch further east.

• Like 1

Posted

a small scale low could move across England

• Like 1

a small scale low could move across England

Thanks for your reply. Seems most are in favour, including the pros such as yourself and Alex Deakin, that this is a polar low. Time to hope and pray that it doesn't die too quickly when it makes landfall. 

Posted

Thanks for your reply. Seems most are in favour, including the pros such as yourself and Alex Deakin, that this is a polar low. Time to hope and pray that it doesn't die too quickly when it makes landfall. 

My notes from Forecaster college say 'Satellite imagery is the only way to identify' in pencil in the margin but nothing more ...

• Like 3