Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tracking the potential Polar Low - Thursday into Friday

Met4Cast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

http://www.sat24.com/

Is that a Polar Low forming to the North-West of Scotland? Just skirted over a few models and can't see a low that extensive being forecasted anywhere

Crikey...i hope so, dont think ive ever experienced a polar low, if it is were is likely to track.

• Like 1

Posted

Crikey...i hope so, dont think ive ever experienced a polar low, if it is were is likely to track.

ECM have this low - @15Z   

ecm0125_millikort_0level_msl_2015012900_

....and by T24....

ecm0125_millikort_0level_msl_2015012900_

• Like 1

Posted

Is that a Polar Low forming to the North-West of Scotland? Just skirted over a few models and can't see a low that extensive being forecasted anywhere

It's origin would suggest it's not a polar low

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

It's origin would suggest it's not a polar low

"Polar Lows" don't have to originate from the Pole, a Polar Low could form in the North Sea, they're called "Polar" lows because they from in unstable polar airflows.

Though this is getting off topic, only half an hour until the 12z starts to roll out

• Like 3

Posted

certainly looks like some of these but I'm no expert

http://www.keesfloor.nl/wolken/sat/polarlow.htm

Posted

"Polar Lows" don't have to originate from the Pole, a Polar Low could form in the North Sea, they're called "Polar" lows because they from in unstable polar airflows.

Though this is getting off topic, only half an hour until the 12z starts to roll out

Never said they did, but you're correct. Off topic!

Posted

Out of all the shouts we have seen over the years claiming to be polar lows, this one looks as close to be one, as anything. Perhaps the upper temps of -35C could be a tad lower, but the sea may be a touch warmer than average, so it's all relative.

I think that it is....

Good call by Daniel then. My guess is that, if it was off the English east coast then that might create some consternation for the MO. As it is off the NW coast of Scotland and as they are supposed to be short lived affairs then it may not even get a mention.

Edited by weather eater

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

Out of all the shouts we have seen over the years claiming to be polar lows, this one looks as close to be one, as anything. Perhaps the upper temps of -35C could be a tad lower, but the sea may be a touch warmer than average, so it's all relative.

I think that it is....

What implications do you think this could have for tonight??

Posted
chionomaniac, on 29 Jan 2015 - 15:12, said:

I think that it is....

Surely by definition Chino, if it's been around long enough to be picked up on the 0z ECM, it is definitely not a Polar low?

• Like 2

Don't they tend to be invisible though?

Not visible on synoptic charts, just given away on sat pics by the characteristic comma of cloud forming in the flow.

Generally a now cast yes, so if any model has picked it up, it's more likely to be just a LP system, as they are so hard to predict, and usually only see them on Sat Pics.

Posted

Surely by definition Chino, if it's been around long enough to be picked up on the 0z ECM, it is definitely not a Polar low?

Going off what the 0z ECM did pick up I would hardly suggest it correctly saw this system at all

Posted

Surely if models are improving all the time though it would be feasible now that they can be picked up? where as perhaps 10years ago they might not have been?

Posted

OK ive just checked out the models soundings, had a look at the Satellite images .. This is indeed, it would appear, a genuine Polar Low. I doubt it'll get further than western Scotland.. however it is quite fragmented. The flow overnight is actually perfect for a Polar Low.. if you look at the charts for the next 12 hours.. this is as good a situation for a Polar Low to develop.. but it's whether it can last it's journey down the Irish Sea, which i don't think it will. That said, it's still winding itself up.

I agree - Though I think it has a higher chance of surviving for longer as it does not have too much to battle against..

Will be interested to see what if anything is made of it on the 12z's

Edited by Buzzit

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

I think this is the feature that is predicted to make its way down over Wales and SW England tonight. A strong wind warning for here as well as snow after midnight. Sorry OT

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Thing of beauty... You can see it develop, 100% a Polar Low.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Fantastic satellite animation.. what you can see if how the Polar Low develops from a life support from the main low, via what appears to be some Baroclinic means.. then start to develop it's own 'eye' as it moves south. 

Even if it doesn't end up dumping snow on us, it's definitely one to keep for the archives.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Long time lurker but first time posting -the Meto have issued a weather warning for some high winds in the SW later tonight, is that associated with this Polar Low, if that is indeed what it is?

• Like 1