Sign in to follow this  
Penrith Snow

Recording Grass Minimum Temperature

I have acquired a MetO grade mercury minimum thermometer and want to start recording Grass Minimum, however, I am a bit concerned about its exposure in my rural but medium sized garden.

In the centre of the lawn the horizontally placed thermometer will be 5 meters from the house, 5 meters from a line of trees ( not overhanging) and 6 meters from a wooden fence, is that exposed enough to get a true Grass Minimum reading?

Secondly if we do get snow this week I presume I dig the thermometer out and place it on top of the snow?

I wish I had a bigger garden but Thanks for any advice.

Andy

I have acquired a MetO grade mercury minimum thermometer and want to start recording Grass Minimum, however, I am a bit concerned about its exposure in my rural but medium sized garden.

In the centre of the lawn the horizontally placed thermometer will be 5 meters from the house, 5 meters from a line of trees ( not overhanging) and 6 meters from a wooden fence, is that exposed enough to get a true Grass Minimum reading?

Secondly if we do get snow this week I presume I dig the thermometer out and place it on top of the snow?

I wish I had a bigger garden but Thanks for any advice.

Andy

The exposure should be okay so just keep the grass around it no higher than the thermometer. Yes after snow you need to put it above the snow surface.