Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

I was completely correct in my assertion last week that uppers were not conductive of low lying snow, stressing wintry rather than snowy potential. 

I'm not sure where you are going with this because I kept continually stressing that point and I was completely correct.

Where are all the pictures of low lying areas seeing lying snow?

It was marginal even in Yorkshire with wintry deposits to lower levels. 

Its disappointing to see a minority on here taking an authoritative role against anyone that goes against a snow agenda. Its a meteorology forum not a snow only forum.

It's a CHAT forum! Any chance you could go and 'Police' another regional CHAT forum please?

Posted

It's a CHAT forum! Any chance you could go and 'Police' another regional CHAT forum please?

Yes where you should be allowed to post what you perceive -looking at various charts- to be the outcome of said weather conditions.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing but there's no need for digs as if its a personal vendetta against the NW forum.

Posted

Think you need to chill! Nobody's got an agenda, majority of us in here don't understand the charts so come in here to see what's on offer and let's face it majority want snow so hence when snows on the cards that's what we want!

Ps - should you not be in the yorkshire thread!

Ps - it's a joke!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather
Think you need to chill! Nobody's got an agenda, majority of us in here don't understand the charts so come in here to see what's on offer and let's face it majority want snow so hence when snows on the cards that's what we want!

Ps - should you not be in the yorkshire thread!

Ps - it's a joke![/quote

Im glad im not the only one who doesnt understand charts. I come on here to hear everyone's views and try to understand the weather as best i can. All views are welcome Its now raining !!!!

Edited by Miamay

Posted

Sorry but incorrect as of where we are today, dew points are negative , WBFL is low, 850-1000 temps are ok. the opposite is true i suppose, there are some warmer sectors in the flow but this is by far our best opportunity for snow in low lying areas barring maybe anyone who lives in a coastal town :) can change of course between now and then for better or worse. Ps bbc forecast on website you linked is renowed for being...well err...crap

Thank you for a reasoned response  :)

I've looked at various parameters and am struggling to see snow away from mostly high ground inland.

The short window of opportunity I was talking about earlier still exists when the NW taps into a pool of -8  uppers (Wed Night).

post-8968-0-69426900-1422228532_thumb.gi post-8968-0-69642900-1422228536_thumb.gi post-8968-0-71928200-1422228610_thumb.gi

Above the wbfl is at about 100m all well and good for low lying areas. Freezing levels around 200m so while I expect falling snow it will need to be pretty heavy/continuous for low lying accumulations.

Throughout the night higher uppers creep in.

The next night sees uppers of -5 which aren't good enough I'm afraid.

post-8968-0-01260000-1422228814_thumb.gi post-8968-0-19628900-1422228884_thumb.gi post-8968-0-57805300-1422228895_thumb.gi

Freezing level for cheshire is 600m on that.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

Thank you for a reasoned response  :)

I've looked at various parameters and am struggling to see snow away from mostly high ground inland.

The short window of opportunity I was talking about earlier still exists when the NW taps into a pool of -8  uppers (Wed Night).

attachicon.gifuppers.gif attachicon.gifwbl.gif attachicon.giffreezing level.gif

Above the wbfl is at about 100m all well and good for low lying areas. Freezing levels around 200m so while I expect falling snow it will need to be pretty heavy/continuous for low lying accumulations.

Throughout the night higher uppers creep in.

The next night sees uppers of -5 which aren't good enough I'm afraid.

attachicon.gifuppers -5.gif attachicon.giffreezing level 1.gif attachicon.gifwet bulb 1.gif

Freezing level for cheshire is 600m on that.

Could you please stick to your regional thread and leave us in the North West to discuss in ours? Thank you in advance. :)

Posted

Could you please stick to your regional thread and leave us in the North West to discuss in ours? Thank you in advance. :)

I travel to Manchester regularly for work. Moot point.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Cheese, your going to look like a fool come Thursday morning, i'll be digging up your posts from today don't you worry  :)

Posted

Cheese, your going to look like a fool come Thursday morning, i'll be digging up your posts from today don't you worry  :)

Im happy to be proved wrong hopefully it snows copious amounts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Im happy to be proved wrong hopefully it snows copious amounts.

No-one has spoken about copious amounts though, that was never in the equation. I'd be happy with a couple of cm.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

Not going to build my hopes up on this one as will probably downgrade by Wednesday

Posted

No-one has spoken about copious amounts though, that was never in the equation. I'd be happy with a couple of cm.

Exactly the thread was running just fine with the usual mix of optimism and pessimism before Cheese Rice turned up to "educate" us. I see he's now trying to be an internet hero in the Yorkshire & Lincolnshire thread. :blink2:

Just for the record I've seen more failed snow events than Barry Norman has films, so I know all too well how badly things can go pear-shaped. That doesn't mean I can't get excited though. There's still plenty of time before Wednesday night and the warning zone is bound to change, for better or worse (I was surprised to see the initial warning up so early). As ever it will probably come down to nowcasting.

Posted

Here I am at 187m wondering if that's lowland or not. Because it dosent matter if in our village we don't get any SNOW!! All roads out are hills if it does snow it's almost impossible to get out unless you have a 4x4. Which my husband takes to work and leaves me with the crap car and the job of getting to the horses at 6am,then becoming taxi service to 3 kids then struggling to get to work myself which is on another fell. We have one road that is slightly less treacherous/snowbound but going that way last week added 2hrs to my journey and I ended up back home again because yes you guessed it the schools were closing. So I read all the weather comments on here with excitement and dread. I try to understand the charts but it's beyond me.I much prefer to read between the lines and get everyone's take on what will happen from here.. and so far alot of people have been spot on. Keep up the good chat.

Edited by shelly 73

Posted

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

An active band of rain will push southeast during Wednesday introducing increasingly cold and showery conditions through Thursday and Friday, with snow likely accumulating to low levels. Windy with gales.

This should put the will it snow at low levels debate to bed.

Posted

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

An active band of rain will push southeast during Wednesday introducing increasingly cold and showery conditions through Thursday and Friday, with snow likely accumulating to low levels. Windy with gales.

This should put the will it snow at low levels debate to bed.

I'm still not so convinced, shall feel better on they're update later :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

METO - Here we go again - marginal for the Fylde and coast.............A cold and increasingly showery northwesterly flow is expected to develop during Wednesdayand last through Thursday. Accumulating snow is likely away from windward coastal districts,especially overnight, with 2-5 cm locally at low levels. Higher ground, above about 150 m,could see in excess of 10 cm. Strong and gusty winds will likely accompany snow showers, and lead to significantly reduced visibility at times.........

And borderline too :nea:

post-6879-0-44499800-1422264798_thumb.jp

Ian

I'm still not so convinced, shall feel better on they're update later :)

Agree.

Here I am at 187m wondering if that's lowland or not. Because it dosent matter if in our village we don't get any SNOW!! All roads out are hills if it does snow it's almost impossible to get out unless you have a 4x4. Which my husband takes to work and leaves me with the crap car and the job of getting to the horses at 6am,then becoming taxi service to 3 kids then struggling to get to work myself which is on another fell. We have one road that is slightly less treacherous/snowbound but going that way last week added 2hrs to my journey and I ended up back home again because yes you guessed it the schools were closing. So I read all the weather comments on here with excitement and dread. I try to understand the charts but it's beyond me.I much prefer to read between the lines and get everyone's take on what will happen from here.. and so far alot of people have been spot on. Keep up the good chat.

Appleby is very nice though.......

....You are quite lucky. :)

Ian

Edited by Iceaxecrampon

Imagine this place if a warning came out like this for us:

Blizzard Warning remains in effect from 7 pm this evening to 1 am EST Wednesday.

• Locations: eastern and southeastern Massachusetts as well as all of Rhode Island.
  • Hazard types: Heavy snow, strong winds and blizzard conditions. Considerable blowing and drifting snow. Strong to damaging winds.
  • Accumulations: snow accumulations of around 20 to 30 inches. With locally higher amounts. Snowfall rates of 2 to 4 inches an hour at times.
  • Timing: while the storm is expected to begin late today and linger into early Wednesday, the worst of the storm will be tonight through Tuesday afternoon.
  • Impacts: Heavy snow and strong winds will result in White-out / blizzard conditions with near zero visibility. Travel will be impossible and life threatening across the entire region. Also snow may be wet enough to result in downed tree limbs and power outages in addition to the winds.
  • Winds: North-northeast 15 to 25 mph with gusts around 65 to 75 mph. The height of the winds will be late tonight into Tuesday.
  • Visibilities: one quarter mile or less at times.

Thats for NE USA.

Posted

Reminds me of Christmas Day 2004, which brought snow to many.

Rrea00120041225_2.gif

Rrea00220041225.gif

Edited by Alexis

Posted

Imagine this place if a warning came out like this for us:

Blizzard Warning remains in effect from 7 pm this evening to 1 am EST Wednesday.

• Locations: eastern and southeastern Massachusetts as well as all of Rhode Island.
  • Hazard types: Heavy snow, strong winds and blizzard conditions. Considerable blowing and drifting snow. Strong to damaging winds.
  • Accumulations: snow accumulations of around 20 to 30 inches. With locally higher amounts. Snowfall rates of 2 to 4 inches an hour at times.
  • Timing: while the storm is expected to begin late today and linger into early Wednesday, the worst of the storm will be tonight through Tuesday afternoon.
  • Impacts: Heavy snow and strong winds will result in White-out / blizzard conditions with near zero visibility. Travel will be impossible and life threatening across the entire region. Also snow may be wet enough to result in downed tree limbs and power outages in addition to the winds.
  • Winds: North-northeast 15 to 25 mph with gusts around 65 to 75 mph. The height of the winds will be late tonight into Tuesday.
  • Visibilities: one quarter mile or less at times.
Thats for NE USA.

Pretend your the MetO and send that to the daily mail!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Yes its the same low pressure that left the US East Coast is heading our way. I heard it dumped 3 feet of snow!! :shok:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167

Put on pressure chart ^^

Yes - LP Leaves the Eastern seaboard of the US floats up to the Arctic a bit to cool and then heads down NW  to dump drizzle on the Fylde in Lancashire.

:nea:

No in all honesty this could be interesting.

Edited by Iceaxecrampon