Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunder and more snow

I'd never experienced thundersnow till today, it's been more grapple than snow here.. you never know I may wake up to a winter wonderland... before I realise I'm still dreaming!

Posted

The guy that should be banned in winter you mean yes :p

He should because even here we are struggling. 

I'm firmly of the opinion that unless your about 300m asl or already have deep entrenched cold North Westerlies don't deliver. The previous spell was a complete disaster here and for the North West. 

We'd have been better of with a strong Easterly flow, to rub salt in the wounds its snowing along the coast in Yorkshire. 

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

He should because even here we are struggling.

I'm firmly of the opinion that unless your about 300m asl or already have deep entrenched cold North Westerlies don't deliver. The previous spell was a complete disaster here and for the North West.

We'd have been better of with a strong Easterly flow, to rub salt in the wounds its snowing along the coast in Yorkshire.

Got pasted Christmas Day 2004 in that temporary NWly ... And in March 2006. It's luck of the draw and they're open to delivering surprises.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

we just run out of luck most years and get nothing. Was very disappointed for the last couple of years for the kids, they all wanted snow, so we had to take them to santa village in finland last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

we just run out of luck most years and get nothing. Was very disappointed for the last couple of years for the kids, they all wanted snow, so we had to take them to santa village in finland last year.

Alright for some!

"Hmm, no snow here. TO FINLAND!"

Posted

Windy here thats all

Alright for some!

"Hmm, no snow here. TO FINLAND!"

snow warnings my ass what for nothing here

One big hype again goodnight hope u all get something at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

well i have just travelled from down south (near London) to Bolton overnight.

having looked at all avaialable weather reports I was expecting to arrive here in Bolton to prolonged heavy snow, and decent accumulations on the ground.

All I have got is fine rain.

I am too old (29) to get wound up by this, as it is probably he hundreth time that a predicted snow event has failed to materialise but nevertheless I am absolutely flabbergasted and annoyed by this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

well i have just travelled from down south (near London) to Bolton overnight.

having looked at all avaialable weather reports I was expecting to arrive here in Bolton to prolonged heavy snow, and decent accumulations on the ground.

All I have got is fine rain.

I am too old (29) to get wound up by this, as it is probably he hundreth time that a predicted snow event has failed to materialise but nevertheless I am absolutely flabbergasted and annoyed by this.

Is flabbergasted and annoyed not wound up?  :D

I am flabbergasted, annoyed and wound up but as you say it is the same old same old, especially here in the snow desert South Manchester.

I mean seriously DP's below freezing -7c 850's and night and it still rains? :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

I was expecting to wake up to more of a cover as this time during the night looked most productive. But no, doesnt look like there has been much in the way of heavy showers.

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Disappointing to say the least.

Yeah we've got 0.5cm. Ah well.

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

Utter crap here aswell....no covering at at all...disappointment number 2 out of the way at least, now onto disappointment number 3 on friday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Being further north must have made all the difference with some amazing scenes here last night.

9cms lying now but temperature is just above freezing so it is wet, DP still below freezing so hopefully little thaw.

For once North Cumbria was in the sweet spot, how often does that happen!

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Nothing here, plenty of showers over Ireland but they die off when they get over the Irish Sea!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Is flabbergasted and annoyed not wound up? :D

I am flabbergasted, annoyed and wound up but as you say it is the same old same old, especially here in the snow desert South Manchester.

I mean seriously DP's below freezing -7c 850's and night and it still rains? :angry:

Yep doesnt even sound marginal that does it Mucka!! What a place this is! Dont need -5's for snow? No need -a gazllion round 'ere! Edited by Nicholas B

Posted

15013006_2900.gif....just to illustrate fridays letdown,,,updated euro4 gives us this..rain

Ignore. The Euro 4 12z had the southern part of the region under snow for this morning, that went by 18z.

Squally driving hail/sleet/snow showers. Rush hour driving is not going to be great. Driving on a motorway and suddenly you are blasted by the one these showers, visibility rapidly drops.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Being further north must have made all the difference with some amazing scenes here last night.

9cms lying now but temperature is just above freezing so it is wet, DP still below freezing so hopefully little thaw.

For once North Cumbria was in the sweet spot, how often does that happen!

Andy

Well done with that Penrith :) excellent!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Expected to wake up to more lying snow than when I went to bed but not the case.

It was snowing when i got up but only a cm or two on the ground and that looks a bit slushy.

On the plus side, at least the roads should be clear enough for a crap car like mine to make it to work.