Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat

Thunderbolt_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

15012818_2618.gifnot liking this...has all of our region missing out on wed...i cant stomach another  letdown.

Edited by chicken soup

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

15012818_2618.gifthis time thursday morning...no settling snow at all......i can smell a typical letdown coming.

Edited by chicken soup

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Looking good for most of the region, plenty of snow on the Euro4 charts posted above, looks like them merging together to give more persistent snow at times...

Posted

Whether we have snow or not it looks guaranteed to be cold for the rest of this week :) this how it 'should' be in winter

Posted

Hoping here in east Manchester on the first hill I'm lucky for the first time in a couple of years but no doubt the pennine snow shield will be in full effect again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

According to bbc weather forcast not many areas are going to get any snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

According to bbc weather forcast not many areas are going to get any snow

I think the bbc weather maps arent the most reliable at this stage - showers, and snow showers in particular - are notoriously difficult to forecast and so it is extremely hard to illustrate them on the map. This will be an unstable air flow, so there is the potential for a lot of snow showers, affecting lots of parts of the country but our regious is in prime position. The unstable air flow will continue for some time which always allows the potential for troughs to form, bringing bands of showers in, which can merge and bring more consistent snow. When the wind veers more northerly, yes we have seen the wish bone effect many times bringing snow to only coastal areas but given time, they can be incredibly unstable and produce a lot of showers nationwide. It would be ideal if a polar low could form above us (wishful thinking) but still, bands of showers moving in over Wednesday afternoon and Thursday should bring plenty of snow for our area, fear not  :)

Edited by i luv snow

Posted

From metoffice website, updated this morning, for the North West region - lots of potential from Wednesday afternoon right through to Saturday. Friday afternoon looks to be the most marginal with perhaps sleet or wintry showers but if we do see that snow beforehand, this may help to keep temps and dew points a tad lower! 

Wednesday:

Cold, with frequent showers, being blown in on a strong to gale force northwesterly wind. Showers turning to snow inland, where some accumulations are likely, even to lower levels. Maximum Temperature 4C.

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Remaining cold on Thursday with frequent sleet or snow showers. Unsettled through Friday with further wintry showers. Colder again on Saturday with sunny spells and snow showers. Strong winds throughout.

Updated at: 0226 on Tue 27 Jan 2015

Edited by i luv snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Thanks for that i luv snow. Will just wait and see then.

Posted

Reassurance from Nick F in mod thread:

As for this side of the pond, something a little more gentle wintry-wise for most from tomorrow, though the NWly flow looks very unstable across the northern half of the UK, GFS suggesting lapse rates of 32C between 850-500mb - so we can expect to see frequent and heavy snow showers for Scotland, N England and N. Ireland later tomorrow and overnight into Thursday - some places, even at lower levels, seeing 5-10cm - more over higher ground. We could see sleet/snow showers blow well inland through the Cheshire Gap into the Midlands too, wintry showers fewer for Wales and SW England, but some snow here in places over higher ground, central S and SE England looking mostly dry.

It looks to turn more marginal during Friday and Saturday away from higher ground ans the intial cold blast from the NW gets mixed out, but as winds veer northerly on Sunday, we see another renewed cold blast, this time from the north. The south and southeast may have to wait until this northerly for the best chance of snow as troughs/fronts or polar disturbances move down from the north Sunday and early next week. But generally, before then, it looks like the north and west seeing the lion’s share of wintry precipitation and snow potential.

Some uncertainties over how long the northerly will last, the models this morning have the Nly fading by mid-week next week as a ridge of high pressure builds in, but this should be a cold high with sunny days and very cold nights – especially with any snow cover around. I wouldn’t be surprised if this high hangs around until the end of the next week too – locking in the cold.

Posted

It does look good, if I lived further from the coast Id be getting very interested.

For Fylde Coast, though, ive read the words 'away from the coast' and marginal' in too many of the forecasts to be hopeful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

It is looking good for Chorley on Thursday according to the met office:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcw1hpk10#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1422489600

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

From metoffice website, updated this morning, for the North West region - lots of potential from Wednesday afternoon right through to Saturday. Friday afternoon looks to be the most marginal with perhaps sleet or wintry showers but if we do see that snow beforehand, this may help to keep temps and dew points a tad lower! 

Don't like the bit that says 'showers turning to snow inland' !!! I'm 2 miles inland @ 70m so not really expecting any lying snow. But we shall see! :)

Posted

It does look good, if I lived further from the coast Id be getting very interested.

For Fylde Coast, though, ive read the words 'away from the coast' and marginal' in too many of the forecasts to be hopeful.

I'd agree with this.  Away from the coast and marginal, as you say, always = no snow for us.

Further inland its looking good for some, trip up to Beacon Fell again at the weekend I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunder and more snow

Reassurance from Nick F in mod thread:

Sod JLS we have ILS. . Thanks obi wan am starting to get a little excited now... It looks like my truffle shuffle snow dance is starting to appease the snow gods

Edited by DemonDaz

Posted

No worries. And with that Thought in mind I'm going to "Unleash", - the Euro4 00z prediction for Midnight Thursday. As by this time the heavier snow showers will have worked their way South into NW England. On this particular chart there is the hint of a couple of streamers one from Preston to Bradford (cutting through Bolton). And another from Widnes to Buxton but this is not to be taken too literally. The exact location is uncertain although I have a feeling there will be widespread bands of moderate or even Heavy showers giving accumulations away from Coastal areas especially later on in the Night. Shall await 06Z Euro4 with a little more interest and of course the NW models :).

15012900_2700.gif

Kasim,

trying to predict how showers are going to be distributed always seems to defeat computer models.  The BBC forecasts rarely seem to try either.  However showers often form in lines.  As the winds start due west I would expect to see a streamer coming inland from the Ribble estury and another running inland as if directed by the north wales coast - the netweather model suggests a bit of a convergance zone on its wind charts, but I have no idea how accurate they are.  Interesting that the model you posted shows those lines.

Fortunately there seem to be some trough lines on the Fax charts, which should give everyone showers, and then the winds slowly movefrom W to WNW to NW, which will keep changing the shower distribution.

Then there seem to be distrubances in the N'ly flow at the weekend, so for once it might not be a dry n'ly for us?

Edited by Maz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It is looking good for Chorley on Thursday according to the met office:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcw1hpk10#?tab=fiveDay&fcTime=1422489600

eeerrrr not sure about that. Look at places further east and its snow from the middle of the night. Falling on a wet ground = no depth unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong. I think I'll putt the house up for sale and move to somewhere 250m asl then won't keep getting the wrong side of marginal! Weather from the NW and its not cold enough. Weather from an Easterly and it  doesn't get here only chance is the northerly later. 2m temps around 2 degrees are rubbish it need to be minus 2. Little bit of a moan but hope the reverse psychology pays off.