Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

A question for all you midlanders......in an average winter do the Shropshire hills get much snow?

The highest ones (Long Mynd, Stiperstones and Clees) yes, but only on the tops. They're certainly not covered all winter, though 20-30 days is common. It's not so much that they get many more days with falling snow, just that it takes longer to melt up there. 2013-14 was exceptional though, they only had a couple of short lived coverings.

Posted

Had a cold front come down today with a heavy shower turned to hail which gave a slight dusting,last short part was rain/sleet.

7.3c>2.8c

Last winter had 8 of those brief coverings of snow here.

Posted

Rain cleared by 8 or so this morning. Mostly a dullish morning. A few bright spells this afternoon with some blue sky and sun, but also a couple of light showers. Skies now looking to clear and temp falling back, currently 6.1C.

Posted

The highest ones (Long Mynd, Stiperstones and Clees) yes, but only on the tops. They're certainly not covered all winter, though 20-30 days is common. It's not so much that they get many more days with falling snow, just that it takes longer to melt up there. 2013-14 was exceptional though, they only had a couple of short lived coverings.

I think they do get more significantly more days with falling snow. Quite often we have sleety rain or just cold rain, but Titterstone Clee and the south Shropshire hills, both of which I can see from my house, are white.

I've certainly been on the Long Mynd and Tittersone Clee when it has been snowing, but just rain in the valley.

Edited by picog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

the cold front went thru here about 12:00 with very dark skies, after contnuous light rain all morning. .

The teemperature has fallen steadily thru the afternoon from a max of about 7C to the now value of 4.1C.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Thank you. Considering moving up that way and sad though it may seem, how snowy somewhere is is one of the factors on the list of choosing where to live. Currently in mild, soggy Somerset but high up in the Mendip Hills so if there's any chance down here, we get some. Nothing worse than living somewhere that misses most of the snow but three miles up the road gets regularly clobbered, want to avoid the infamous Telford snowdome.

Posted

Some heavy rain on the back edge of the front that passed through this morning;

Some more cold zonal charts being thrown out by the models, would be very similar to much of the rest of winter, snow on the north/western hills, rain/sleet for rest unfortunately

Posted

Thank you. Considering moving up that way and sad though it may seem, how snowy somewhere is is one of the factors on the list of choosing where to live. Currently in mild, soggy Somerset but high up in the Mendip Hills so if there's any chance down here, we get some. Nothing worse than living somewhere that misses most of the snow but three miles up the road gets regularly clobbered, want to avoid the infamous Telford snowdome.

Avoid Telford and Shrewsbury like the plague then. Look in south Shropshire, the further south the better if you want better summers but in the middle of the hills for snow (Try Snailbeach for example, 350m high but only 10 miles from Shrewsbury).

• Like 1

Posted

Avoid Telford and Shrewsbury like the plague then. Look in south Shropshire, the further south the better if you want better summers but in the middle of the hills for snow (Try Snailbeach for example, 350m high but only 10 miles from Shrewsbury).

Church Stretton might be an idea. That's the town at the botton of the Long Mynd and in a great location if you like walking. Another contender is Bishops Castle- very picturesque, higher up, own brewery, beautiful location, definitely more 'remote'. What more could you want ...

• Like 1

Posted

Cold, clear and frosty

Temperature 0.0C 

Should be a nice day.

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Well, you never know......

(Even if it is the GFS!)

post-15638-0-14382700-1424162841_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Well, you never know......

(Even if it is the GFS!)

can clearly see the snow is only for hills and mountains, I would rather have high pressure cloudy skies than north westerly winds wet farts

Edited by Ilovethesnow

Posted

I agree. I don't want a repeat of January. Yes, there were pockets of excitement but each event quickly met it's inevitable doom..over and over again.

This late in the winter it has to be all or nothing for me, not half hearted attempts at a cold spell.

It's a real shame how this winter has gone. We've had a horrific winter followed by a frsutrating winter...I really can't say in what frame of mind I'll be approaching next winter now.

Posted

I agree. I don't want a repeat of January. Yes, there were pockets of excitement but each event quickly met it's inevitable doom..over and over again.

This late in the winter it has to be all or nothing for me, not half hearted attempts at a cold spell.

It's a real shame how this winter has gone. We've had a horrific winter followed by a frsutrating winter...I really can't say in what frame of mind I'll be approaching next winter now.

I do, every winter I expect total Atlantic domination, not the fantasy crap that people come out with, like express, corbyn, madden etc, there are even unrealistic hopecasters on here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

I do, every winter I expect total Atlantic domination, not the fantasy crap that people come out with, like express, corbyn, madden etc, there are even unrealistic hopecasters on here

Your last sentence is very rude, and disrespectful to members

On here, for most on here the weather is there hobby.

FWIW I agree about the express, and corbyn, but to slate members

on here is well out of order.

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Well you're a little ray of sunshine aren't you?

For what it's worth, my daughters birthday is on the 21st March, and there has frequently been snow at that time. So, I'll keep my hopes alive if that's alright with you - apologies if you get infected by them.

• Like 2

Posted

Very pleasant weather today. Definitely given an early taste of spring :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

was a nice day here 8c at best... had to go CAMHS in Buxton for meetings and just 5c still some patches of snow over the highest ground. still plenty of time for some fun and games for many of us in here. weather interest is not always about Snow. a few big atlantic storms to rattle in will give something to keep enthusiast interested.

Posted

was a nice day here 8c at best... had to go CAMHS in Buxton for meetings and just 5c still some patches of snow over the highest ground. still plenty of time for some fun and games for many of us in here. weather interest is not always about Snow. a few big atlantic storms to rattle in will give something to keep enthusiast interested.

ROLL on Spring then!

Posted

Going a little against what I said earlier, it would be nice to see snow lie from sunrise to sunset and around to sunrise again just once this late winter/early Spring.

Now, before anyone says that's impossible outside of exceptional circumstances...I saw it happen in Ohio in mid-March with temperatures similar to what we might get in an early Spring cold blast....and Columbus, Ohio is more or less on the same latitude as Barcelona. And there's no elevation to speak of either. Managed to keep a few cm on the ground for a day or two there in March. Granted that any sun will get to work on patches of it at that time of year but sun isn't always a given around here!

(It actually happened on an April day as well in Columbus...although obviously by then that was quicker to melt there. Although still impressive for that latitude in an area of the world that should be gearing up for it's first real thundery warm up by April! In fact, we had already has one hot thundery episode that April BEFORE the surprise snow came!)

• Like 1

Posted

Can really notice the days lengthening now nice red/orange sky last night around 5.30 and almost light at 7am spring is approaching fast .....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

over night model output do not show any signs of an early start to spring... some very stormy weather to come with some cold as well and yes even Snow for some...certainly something to keep an eye on as some upgrades (if cold and snow is your thing) or downgrades (if its warmth your after) could appear at short notice...either way an interesting period of weather to come.

Posted

Fine day today.

temp just about reached 10C, but not expecting it again for at least a couple of weeks. 

MIA

• Like 1