Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Havn't read the warnings yet.

Came on to say that rain(maybe a bit of big rain or sleet) showers have set in now.

Temperature up to 3.4C with the dewpoint at -0.2C, so extremely marginal.

Good luck everyone.

MIA

Edit they are for the south east for the snow. Ice warning here it seems.

Just noticed that the ENE wind has just picked up here.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Trying to rain in Telford...

Temp +5ºC

Dew Point +1ºC

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Too mild for snow, this is no real cold spell remember folks, no HLB etc, thats what we need for true cold, cannot expect much off a half hearted effort

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

3c here in Matlock with sleety rain but as we came back from Chesterfield over the tops it was 2c and sleet/wet snow... still cover on all hills around and im guessing the people with higher elevation will poss still be getting snow today...

Posted

Was in buxton earlier shopping and had drizzle, came back over the hills sleety rain, quickly popped into glossop and raining.... Back at home now 3c drizzly melting snow and ice.... Will be extremely icy tonight.... Lots of huge icicles in dove holes, some over a foot....

Edited by Will Padz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

Sleet here in the heavier showers. Can't see any snow here later unless the dew points drop later this afternoon.

Posted

Really horrible out there right now. Cold, wet, & very miserable. Ugh.

Temp is 3.3°C with a Dp of 1.7°C

Bish

Posted

I'd actually like some nice, springlike weather now. I'm tired of all the half-hearted attempts at winter we've had for the past two years.

Hopefully, we'll get a nice warm southwesterly, with showers and sunshine, something to lift the soul out this this new season that we have now, winter?? "FAILTER" :-D

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Feeling raw out with heavy drizzle and low cloud shrouding the hills.

Temp 2.3c

Dp 1.7c

Wind chill -0.7c

Wind N/E 7mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Heavy rain here how depressing

Posted

I have to say I am totally underwhelmed by this cold spell, as I sit and watch the cold rain fall outside.  Although we still have much of Feb and March to see through, there is a distinct theme emerging this season and that is how marginal it’s been for snow fall, and more often than not the wrong end of marginal.  I have not seen more than 1 cm lying on the ground this winter, but I can recall many occasions where snow has fallen.

However, given the background signals have not been in in our favour throughout the season;

• No HLB (the holy grail Greenland high is absent yet again)
  • deep cold in NE USA, which has fuelled the jet/polar vortex in the wrong area; and
  •  lack of serious cold pools in Europe.

We should nevertheless consider ourselves lucky to even be talking about cold and snow, even though ultimately it’s not delivered, but what’s more frustrating is the effort following the models only for it to deliver so little reward.

Although there is some further speculation about a mid-month northerly plunge :cold: ( currently looking more potent than more recent non-event) I wouldn’t hold my breath.  I would guess only 1 in 10 northerlies delivers something special to our region.

I have to say the, despite some poor short term forecasting (especially WRT rain or snow forecasts) the Met office deserve a bit of credit for the mid-range/ long range forecasting this winter IMO. :)

• Like 3

Posted

Guys,

Just been in the south east thread.

A clearance has moved thru most there now.

It is bringing rapidly decreasing temps and snow showers which are getting heavier, some with thunder.

As you can imagine, much excitement as for many it is the first snow they've seen.

Anyway back here, the temp is now back down to 2.9C, ( after a max of3.4C). The dp is falling again 0.1C after having reached 0.7C here during the rain. So it looks as if the colder ENE may well reach us here in a couple of hours with blue skies. Will we get a snow streamer set up?

The dp's in our section of the North Sea are in the order of -5C as opposed to those of -1C off East Anglia where they are getting reports of thunder snow only slightly further south.

So one never knows. I prefer to keep optimistic!!!!

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

I have to say I am totally underwhelmed by this cold spell, as I sit and watch the cold rain fall outside.  Although we still have much of Feb and March to see through, there is a distinct theme emerging this season and that is how marginal it’s been for snow fall, and more often than not the wrong end of marginal.  I have not seen more than 1 cm lying on the ground this winter, but I can recall many occasions where snow has fallen.

However, given the background signals have not been in in our favour throughout the season;

• No HLB (the holy grail Greenland high is absent yet again)
  • deep cold in NE USA, which has fuelled the jet/polar vortex in the wrong area; and
  •  lack of serious cold pools in Europe.
We should nevertheless consider ourselves lucky to even be talking about cold and snow, even though ultimately it’s not delivered, but what’s more frustrating is the effort following the models only for it to deliver so little reward.

Although there is some further speculation about a mid-month northerly plunge :cold: ( currently looking more potent than more recent non-event) I wouldn’t hold my breath.  I would guess only 1 in 10 northerlies delivers something special to our region.

I have to say the, despite some poor short term forecasting (especially WRT rain or snow forecasts) the Met office deserve a bit of credit for the mid-range/ long range forecasting this winter IMO. :)

Like the style of your post FTDN.

I agree with it all.

To me it is remarkable we have been able to manage any snowfall from the synoptics of the last month.

So I am grateful for what we have had.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry in summer and cold and snowy in winter

Been raining/sleet/snowing lightly all day here constantly from around 8:45 this morning. Keeps switching from light snow to sleet and vice versa

Rain has turned to snow here in oadby leicester! ! Maybe colder air and dew points incoming from the east!!

I go to Beauchamp college and I've just finished and its mostly just sleet

Posted

Is this the best it's got?

If so than good riddance cold spell.

Posted

Rain has turned to snow here in oadby leicester! ! Maybe colder air and dew points incoming from the east!!

Yes definitely the cold air is further east/SE just want to winds to swing east later.

Otherwise the west is in pretty mild air currently 5.3c max here today.

Reminds me of this I was very disappointed then remember it well with a mild NW-ly.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1996/Rrea00119960214.gif

No wonder the high was coming in.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1996/Rrea00119960215.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9