Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Morning All

coming up from the South East this morning to Nottingham, I came across a good dusting of snow between Oakham and Melton Mowbray otherwise green all the way but chilly.

Regards

FC

Posted

Yes it feels cold but it has been a poor cold spell for most.

Snow melts in minutes and most haven't seen any decent lying snow.

From my point of view this winter has been poor so far and I cant see it getting

any better, snow wise. I hope I am wrong!

• Like 1

Posted

I must admit all this beast from the East talk is really over hyped the media even our local rag is getting in on the act, yes its cold but tempertures remaining between 3 & 6 degrees is surely just an average Feb not a beast from the east :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

Yes it feels cold but it has been a poor cold spell for most.

Snow melts in minutes and most haven't seen any decent lying snow.

From my point of view this winter has been poor so far and I cant see it getting

any better, snow wise. I hope I am wrong!

I will agree with you totally on that.  yes it has been cold this winter generally but the snowfall amounts and regularity have been nowhere near as high as in the past 8 years here.  even when the snow has been lying on the ground it has melted within a few hours whereas in previous years it stayed on the ground for several days in Northampton.  So all in all quite a poor winter in my eyes too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

Currently 6c here...not really a cold snap now. Its just an average Feb day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

What happened to the predicted top temps of one and two degrees?

This is no cold spell!

think models underestimate February, will not be as cold as this exact setup between dec to mid jan

for decent Feb cold you need a true greenie high, sausage high stretched from greenie to norway, and a beast in place

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Come on guys,

All this negativity..

This weather type can be classified as rather cold to cold category for temperatures.

I am beginning to wonder if the cold of Dec 2010 and also March 3013, have changed peoples perceprions of the UK weather. Guys, those events were 1 in 100 years and 1 in fifty year events. They do not happen every year or even every other year by definition.

The CET temperature over the last week has been about 1.0C. (average about 4-5 max and -1 to -3C minimum). This would clasify as quite a reasonable cold spell even in the 60 and 70's.

Let us remember that we live in the British Isles not Iceland or Scandinavia.

This weather has been respectable for most who do not expect a raging blizzard every other day.

Fo information I have now recorded 8 days with snow falling since Jan 10th.

Current temperature 6.4C (IN THE SUN) and now an actual temperature of 4.7C, probably the max for the day.

Live for the present... the next snowfall could be this afternoon, or evening or tomorrow.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Met so far don't make anything of possible snow tomoz they have my area bone dry with temp at 4c tomoz afternoon. But to be honest lost all my faith in the met.

• Like 2

Posted

Come on guys,

All this negativity..

This weather type can be classified as rather cold to cold category for temperatures.

I am beginning to wonder if the cold of Dec 2010 and also March 3013, have changed peoples perceprions of the UK weather. Guys, those events were 1 in 100 years and 1 in fifty year events. They do not happen every year or even every other year by definition.

The CET temperature over the last week has been about 1.0C. (average about 4-5 max and -1 to -3C minimum). This would clasify as quite a reasonable cold spell even in the 60 and 70's.

Let us remember that we live in the British Isles not Iceland or Scandinavia.

This weather has been respectable for most who do not expect a raging blizzard every other day.

Fo information I have now recorded 8 days with snow falling since Jan 10th.

Current temperature 6.4C (IN THE SUN) and now an actual temperature of 4.7C, probably the max for the day.

Live for the present... the next snowfall could be this afternoon, or evening or tomorrow.

MIA

I agree with you that this winter has been on the cold side, however the snow events have been marginal and even compared to past 'mildish' winters at least we seemed to have a few days of lying snow whereas this year in the east midlands we have been lucky if we even had lying snow and then if it lasted a few hours.  I wouldn't call this an cold or average winter by a long shot.  As for raging blizzards, I would be happy with a few hours of heavy snow so not really asking for a lot I don't think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Met now changed for a mix of rain sleet and snow dammm marginal again.

Posted

Met so far don't make anything of possible snow tomoz they have my area bone dry with temp at 4c tomoz afternoon. But to be honest lost all my faith in the met.

Snowangel

latest MO forecast says there is s risk of an area of precipitation(mainly snow) will develop over lincolnshire and the East Midlands in the morning and then move se towards Oxford.

It looks very similsr to me to the other night.

So on the face of it not too good for the west Mids, but the wind will be more easterly tomorrow so hopefully it can move across us. It is forming on the top edge of the cold easterly they are forecasting springing up. Note it is NOT a beasterly, but hopefully can prolong the cold air.

Edit - It is good news for the East mids, and as I suggested above in this type of flow anything can pop up.

MIA

Posted

I wonder if Northampton will cop anything tomorrow then?  most of the snowfall this year has been too marginal and I'm not convinced that this latest event will be much different.  I could be wrong.  I just wish the weather could be a little more predictive as I commute to London each day and it can be difficult to know whether to go to work if it starts snowing in the morning or to leave work early if it starts snowing later on.  You just never know whether its going to snow a lot or a little or even if its going to settle or not.  Impossible to make decisions when the forecasts are so changeable.

Posted

I wonder if Northampton will cop anything tomorrow then?  most of the snowfall this year has been too marginal and I'm not convinced that this latest event will be much different.  I could be wrong.  I just wish the weather could be a little more predictive as I commute to London each day and it can be difficult to know whether to go to work if it starts snowing in the morning or to leave work early if it starts snowing later on.  You just never know whether its going to snow a lot or a little or even if its going to settle or not.  Impossible to make decisions when the forecasts are so changeable.

I agree Snowfreak..

My advice is to always try to get to work!!

Why... ?

I remember going to school in a snowstorm in 1956 with a about 4inches laying and clearing up, but during the day the east wind got up. Blew up 4 - 6ft drifts even at virtual sea level.  The school bus got home 2.5hrs late behind a snowplough!! Wouldn't have missed it for anything.

I lived thru 1962, always got too and from work, sometimes it was very interesting.

I remember I think 1992 when without warning we had an overnight dumping of about one and half feet of snow here in the central Midlands. I was caught on the M6 around Corley servivce area on the hill up to it. Lorries couldn't manage it. Police took us out backwards. The motorway was finally opened 24 hours later.

So the messgae from me is whatever happens we seem to be able to cope with it...

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I agree Snowfreak..My advice is to always try to get to work!!Why... ?I remember going to school in a snowstorm in 1956 with a about 4inches laying and clearing up, but during the day the east wind got up. Blew up 4 - 6ft drifts even at virtual sea level.  The school bus got home 2.5hrs late behind a snowplough!! Wouldn't have missed it for anything.I lived thru 1962, always got too and from work, sometimes it was very interesting.I remember I think 1992 when without warning we had an overnight dumping of about one and half feet of snow here in the central Midlands. I was caught on the M6 around Corley servivce area on the hill up to it. Lorries couldn't manage it. Police took us out backwards. The motorway was finally opened 24 hours later.So the messgae from me is whatever happens we seem to be able to cope with it...MIA

Do you mean December 1990?

This was my house in Coventry....

post-15638-0-18862600-1423065962_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

The Met Office warnings have finally been pushed more to the east. Always looked that way and surprised it took this long to be honest.

Lets look at the positives of this week. The main one is that this has to be the sunniest weather we've had for quite some time. The big blue skies with fluffy clouds floating through is a welcome sight. I know it's not what everyone wants, I would rather have snow too and I agree that this winter is not shaping up to be a particuarly good one here. But these are the cards we're dealt and unlike last winter, at least there is a postive that can be pulled out of it.

So where do we go from here? More sunshine hopefully. Temperatures a little closer to average after the mini easterly , although we've not been massively below in the daytime anyway.

Maybe something more interesting will happen later in February?

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

I know most of us want snow but this winter has felt much more seasonal than last years. To be fair it has been quite chilly in Tamworth for well over a week now. It only got up to 3 degrees today and as someone that works outside for a living it has felt cold! We have had many more frosts than last year already and I have seen snow falling on 7 different days although admittedly we have only had a couple of light dustings. Anyway onwards and upwards and who knows what is around the corner!

• Like 1

Posted

Oh dear, what a snoozefest set of charts, high pressure wasted on this month, save it for April - September instead.

Overall this winters been another disappointment here as despite several coverings of snow (never more than 1cm deep mind) it's been washed away by rain hours later every time.

At least there's been some sunshine today, cloudzilla's wrath back tomorrow.

Driest February on the record on the way?

• Like 1

Posted

1994/5 over a foot of snow in bedworth. I havent seen more then a dusting here for atleast 2 years. Everyone goes on about 2010. There was nothing here. Not even a full covering :-(

Edited by Matthew Gill
  • Like 1

Posted

I agree with you that this winter has been on the cold side, however the snow events have been marginal and even compared to past 'mildish' winters at least we seemed to have a few days of lying snow whereas this year in the east midlands we have been lucky if we even had lying snow and then if it lasted a few hours.  I wouldn't call this an cold or average winter by a long shot.  As for raging blizzards, I would be happy with a few hours of heavy snow so not really asking for a lot I don't think.

There is more to the East Midlands than Northampton. Here in Nottingham we had lying snow from Boxing Day till New years eve so a bit of sweeping generalisation to say the East Midlands has been lucky if it had any lying snow & then it lasted a few hours because clearly in Nottingham that wasn't the case at Xmas

Not meant as pop but some parts of the East Midlands have done well this winter

Edited by Ryan05

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

The one thing I have noticed about our weather is that is doesn't seem as "good as it used to be" both for thunderstorms in summer and snow in winter. Besides the odd freak weather event. Wonder why that is?

Posted

Do you mean December 1990?

This was my house in Coventry....

Yep Thats the one!!

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Snowangel

latest MO forecast says there is s risk of an area of precipitation(mainly snow) will develop over lincolnshire and the East Midlands in the morning and then move se towards Oxford.

It looks very similsr to me to the other night.

So on the face of it not too good for the west Mids, but the wind will be more easterly tomorrow so hopefully it can move across us. It is forming on the top edge of the cold easterly they are forecasting springing up. Note it is NOT a beasterly, but hopefully can prolong the cold air.

Edit - It is good news for the East mids, and as I suggested above in this type of flow anything can pop up.

MIA

The Fax charts back this up ( but mainly snow ) not sure of that!!! but looking at the chart, there's a lot going on and well... you never know :hi:

we'll see when the update comes out later.

post-11006-0-13183000-1423073814_thumb.p ...Sorry! silly me forgot to add the chart :oops:

The 12z Euro4 at noon for tomorrow as the PPN more towards the SE of our region and the 12z MMN's is even further SE.

15020512_2_0406.gifnmm_uk1-1-22-1.png?04-17

EDIT; Just seen the BBC weather and they have the PPN more in the east of our region at 9am and moving West.... So at this stage who knows :D

Edited by Dancerwithwings