Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I can't see where any snow would come from tonight, it all looks very quiet!

Posted

Nmm going good so far..... Bands expanding south and west..... Peeps this was an overnighter not early eveninger.... Well see what happens in the morning..... If you dont get snow well you dont get snow, if you do bonus.... Places under 100m further north atm are getting snow, some on the coast..... It makes for interest if nothing else....

Edited by Will Padz
  • Like 1

Posted

Nmm going good so far..... Bands expanding south and west..... Peeps this was an overnighter not early eveninger.... Well see what happens in the morning..... If you dont get snow well you dont get snow, if you do bonus.... Places under 100m further north atm are getting snow, some on the coast..... It makes for interest if nothing else.... Part and parcel of this "lampost watching" malarchy is the will you wont you.... Its the uk..... If you want guaranteed snow where you live you are going to have to move to another colder snowier country with altitude..... Stop the this winters pants comments.... Its also boring.....

No complaints here, a big improvement over a snowless winter last year. I grew up NE Yorkshire in the 80s, parents still live there, family up in Consett Co. Durham. I have always had less expectations in the 17 years I've lived down here. Annoyingly I was in Oslo last week and it was mild. Came home and we've had some snow. Shame the days have caused thaws. Probably only about 25 percent of the ground has anything left from overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

No complaints here, a big improvement over a snowless winter last year. I grew up NE Yorkshire in the 80s, parents still live there, family up in Consett Co. Durham. I have always had less expectations in the 17 years I've lived down here. Annoyingly I was in Oslo last week and it was mild. Came home and we've had some snow. Shame the days have caused thaws. Probably only about 25 percent of the ground has anything left from overnight.

best spell for me this year, Boxing day to new years eve, most snow of the season, amazing frosts, 2 ice days, and timing was very festive

January a bit pants, about 5 dustings of snow that soon thawed, best probably morning of Fri 30th, and Thurs 29th

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Nmm going good so far..... Bands expanding south and west..... Peeps this was an overnighter not early eveninger.... Well see what happens in the morning..... If you dont get snow well you dont get snow, if you do bonus.... Places under 100m further north atm are getting snow, some on the coast..... It makes for interest if nothing else....

I agree everything to the north of here seems to fizzle out quite quickly..Though showers are forecast to move south during the early hours.

Posted

best spell for me this year, Boxing day to new years eve, most snow of the season, amazing frosts, 2 ice days, and timing was very festive

January a bit pants, about 5 dustings of snow that soon thawed, best probably morning of Fri 30th, and Thurs 29th

Unfortunately for here some brief snow on the Boxing Day event turned to rain, then back to light snow later. 40 miles north a different story and with the cold temperatures after can understand why it hung around. It was a disappointment especially coming at that time of year, but hey ho. I haven't been pleased with the thaws. Probably had 4 inches of snow cumulative in two sittings but it just melts leaving dregs in the shade.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Kinder Downfall here yesterday,, http://fstoppress.com/vr/kinder_001/

• Like 5

Posted

We may have dodged a bullet tonight. Reports of rain coming in from West Yorkshire and places near the east coast. A little warm sector in the North Sea apparently.

Posted

I suggest we all move to the east midlands, im sick of the snow starved west midlands, especially telford where it never snows! :/

No snow in this little section of the East midlands - frosty yes but thats about it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Maybe some interest for a few of us later tonight after all: Ian Fergusson on Twitter says: "Weakening occlusion giving showers in NE runs S tonight; patchy light snow in parts of our region early AM." Obviously he means the West Country, but you'd think it'd have to go through the Midlands to get there... :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

There's a big radar echo over North Yorkshire right now that's heading straight for the north Midlands. I wonder whether it might hold together long enough for our Peak District members to see something? Long shot, but you never know!

• Like 2

Posted

I have a lot of respect for the met office. I think they do a brilliant job.

However, the fact I wake up this morning and see that the warnings are still there when the radar suggests different seems odd. Reading reports, surely all that is needed is an ice warning for eastern coastal fringes? (Reports of freezing rain there. Nasty stuff)

Turning out that this time, it's their computer generated forecast that's right!

Edited by Gord

Posted

We had a dusting of snow in Cannock over night. Pavement and road covered. Is anything forecast today or this evening or is it more of the same?. We have been so unlucky in the cold snap, you would have thought at least one day of 4\5cm but nothing really of any note.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

The frost has actually disappeared as a dirty blanket of cloud has come from somewhere, quite unforecast. No snow or any precipitation, just dirty gunk. Another fail in this cold spell...

went up to 1.1C overnight with the gunk, anything that fell would have been rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

went up to 1.1C overnight with the gunk, anything that fell would have been rain

No the dew points were still low. We had a teeny flurry early on and it was snow. It was one of those occasions when I just happened to notice it, there were about 10 flakes.

Posted

Coldest part of the night is now with the sun coming up now at -1.3c

As dry as a chip outside.

Just watched ITV for a laugh and they said this is the beast from the east or coming in from Siberia overhype or what,where the bbc much more sensible and said the cold is coming from the low countries by Friday/Germany as Friday will give a stronger NE-ly more in the SE.

A straight N-ly is no good for snow.

Scotish mountains take it all.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

I suggest we all move to the east midlands, im sick of the snow starved west midlands, especially telford where it never snows! :/

the east midlands isn't that great either believe me.  yes we had snow the other evening but I had all melted by midday the next day.  I suppose we do get some cold weather but we have much less precipitation as we're in the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Coldest part of the night is now with the sun coming up now at -1.3c

As dry as a chip outside.

Just watched ITV for a laugh and they said this is the beast from the east or coming in from Siberia overhype or what,where the bbc much more sensible and said the cold is coming from the low countries by Friday/Germany as Friday will give a stronger NE-ly more in the SE.

A straight N-ly is no good for snow.

Scotish mountains take it all.

SnowyOwl

Just been on the MOD tread to inform them (brave wasn't it) of this - It seems as though it IS on the models, but has been missed due to their fixation for looking for snow 10 days out.

Dr Astro (?) has checked it all out and he says their appears to be a reasonable chance of snowfall moving up from the south east into the midlands tomorrow and will be accompanied by a stongish wind from the esat. So there may be something in these television forecasts afterall!!

Certainly the BBC (Carol Kirkwood) are showing the charts that keep the cold air over us until monday at least, whereas the local forecasts are not showing it.

Temp now 0.9C DP -3.8C. Totally clear sky, looks very beautiful. Wind moderate NNE.

MIA

Posted

Maybe some interest for a few of us later tonight after all: Ian Fergusson on Twitter says: "Weakening occlusion giving showers in NE runs S tonight; patchy light snow in parts of our region early AM." Obviously he means the West Country, but you'd think it'd have to go through the Midlands to get there... :)

Yes, and it might actually be in the west midlands. It must be our turn next surely?

Frosty this morning, now a clear blue sky and a bit of a breeze.

Posted

Tomorrow is looking pretty decent snow wise for the midlands!! And if the gfs is right it wont be a 2 minute thing lol!! Shows a band of snow coming in from the north east sticking around for a few hours before clearing west and even colder air comes in from the east!!