Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

All this happening on the back of people saying there was no chance of cold or snow 

It has been very patchy.

Some people still have not seen snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

We only had a little snow earlier but it has not melted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

New map below. 

1) Western extent

2) Current path

3) Eastern extent.

Can't believe how the system is gone virtually completely south with a few ticks east since early evening, it's following the path of the BBC graphics, if not a little further west! 

Second point - It's all sleet or rain over Ireland, including higher levels - it's coming with warmer air and more marginal uppers, so unless you live in the peaks, or 250m+ - this event looks ALL SLEET OR RAIN.

post-10778-0-74607500-1422566011_thumb.p

post-10778-0-65068300-1422566018_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

hi folks. I see many places have done really really well for snow from this cold sbell. Must we had snow but didn't settel at all untill this evening we have a sugar coating here. What's this about a pola low? and is it likely to hit the midlands? can 1 of you good folks post the pola low thread link please thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

What a load of rubbish my last post was.

Radar filling again in North Wales and heading this way!

Sorry. :oops:

Sorry to disappoint but that looks to be heading towards Notts and Derbyshire.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and more snow.

curse it...temp on the up back to 1.5 and dp up to 0.2.........not fair....

Posted

Sorry to disappoint but that looks to be heading towards Notts and Derbyshire.

I was about to reply by arguing that our showers have been coming from that direction all day...which may have been true up to now because there seems to be a shift.

Are showers now heading more west to east?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

What a load of rubbish my last post was.

Radar filling again in North Wales and heading this way!

Sorry. :oops:

Bring it on is it heading our way gord

New map below. 

1) Western extent

2) Current path

3) Eastern extent.

Can't believe how the system is gone virtually completely south with a few ticks east since early evening, it's following the path of the BBC graphics, if not a little further west! 

Second point - It's all sleet or rain over Ireland, including higher levels - it's coming with warmer air and more marginal uppers, so unless you live in the peaks, or 250m+ - this event looks ALL SLEET OR RAIN.

This post is so far off the mark it laughable. I'm not saying that just because you miss out my region either. It's raining in Ireland as the warmer air is wrapped around the western side of the low. The track of the low if anything is closest to the eastern extent of your lines, although your precip lines aren't consistent with the precip track or any of the high-res outputs.

I appreciate the effort of highlighting a risk map but seriously suggesting this is a 250m+ event? All sleet or rain anywhere else? Only on the western side of the low, which will likely miss most of the Midlands anyway, given the track.

Also worth noting the freezing temperatures and sub-zero dewpoints of places well below your 250m snow line across the north Midlands especially.

Edited by CAPE-steve

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Are you two like those kids at school that laugh at everything the cool kids say?

Humour old chap.....Chill Winston Edited by Fozfoster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I was about to reply by arguing that our showers have been coming from that direction all day...which may have been true up to now because there seems to be a shift.

Are showers now heading more west to east?

That is a fair point but to my eye, it looks like it's heading East of Brum. I hope i'm wrong because any PPN that Brum gets, should also be on track to hit Oxford!

Posted

This post is so far off the mark it laughable. I'm not saying that just because you miss out my region either. It's raining in Ireland as the warmer air is wrapped around the western side of the low. The track of the low if anything is closest to the eastern extent of your lines, although your precip lines aren't consistent with the precip track or any of the high-res outputs.

I appreciate the effort of highlighting a risk map but seriously suggesting this is a 250m+ event? All sleet or rain anywhere else? Only on the western side of the low, which will likely miss most of the Midlands anyway, given the track.

Also worth noting the freezing temperatures and sub-zero dewpoints of places well below your 250m snow line across the north Midlands especially.

Just an opinion mate. The low looks to be sliding more south than east at the moment, but we shall see later on tonight - happy if I'm wrong, proven correct if I am. I understand that the snow is more likely to be on the north/east side of the low, which is around this area of the world - but I still think it will be very marginal. 

Latest radar return shown below...showers turning to sleet as they come from the NW as we speak. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Almost continual snow for the last hour has recovered all surfaces, temp and dewpoint 0.2c

Posted

Just been a walk and unfortunately can hear that horrible drip drip sounds little steam

S running down the road! Snow to set as soon as u put your foot down its melting. Need it to start to freeze

Snow is addictive, when we get a cold spell a couple of days before we all say it would be good to get just a cm, then when we get a cm we want 2 then 3 then 2 inches!! Then we moan because it is the wrong type of snow, to wet, to dry. And so on.

We should all save our pennies and have a Netweather Midlands Thread convention in Sweeden in January to get it out of our system!! And we would not spend hours on here :)

We all need snow counselling :)

Edited by #windysnow#
  • Like 2

Posted

The low looks to be sliding more south than east at the moment, but we shall see later on tonight - happy if I'm wrong, proven correct if I am.

Stop looking for doom and gloom.  :rofl:

Report back when 7 feet snow drifts are heading this way.  :D

Edited by 'ColdIsBest'
  • Like 5

Posted

That is a fair point but to my eye, it looks like it's heading East of Brum. I hope i'm wrong because any PPN that Brum gets, should also be on track to hit Oxford!

Although to be fair, if you're right and that bit does go to the east of Brum...all that means is that we'll get slammed by the bigger piece currently over Northern Ireland!

Win-win!

(Providing everything holds together as it is now...and there isn't a sudden shift of direction...and we don't get caught up in any milder sectors...apart from those things...how can it go wrong?!)

• Like 3

Just an opinion mate. The low looks to be sliding more south than east at the moment, but we shall see later on tonight - happy if I'm wrong, proven correct if I am. I understand that the snow is more likely to be on the north/east side of the low, which is around this area of the world - but I still think it will be very marginal. 

Latest radar return shown below...showers turning to sleet as they come from the NW as we speak. 

Yep, please understand I'm giddy with the prospect of more snow. I just think the track is different to what you suggest, but we all have different interpretations (it's why we're all having a guess in the polar low thread lol).

I've heard reports of rain and sleet in NW England, too. But then even during today some places didn't see much snow. It has been locally severe in some places, but a damp squib in others.

Posted

Yep, please understand I'm giddy with the prospect of more snow. I just think the track is different to what you suggest, but we all have different interpretations (it's why we're all having a guess in the polar low thread lol).

I've heard reports of rain and sleet in NW England, too. But then even during today some places didn't see much snow. It has been locally severe in some places, but a damp squib in others.

Where is the polar low thread

Posted
Post from nick f in the polar low thread :) sounds promising 

Just had a peak at the 18z UKMO (meso) and it shows the centre of the small low moving SE across the Midlands around 3am then across SE England around 6am, sleet/snow showers swirling around this low for Wales, Midlands, SE England.

Edited by tom_f123
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Earlier rain/slush has now all frozen, as have all the raindrops on cars etc. The road is an absolute ice rink; really dangerous even to walk on right now.

Also, re Polar Low: not too far east, please! I'd rather not be on the western side of it! :p

Edited by Arctic Hare

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

Tom, I love your posts just because I can look at Ian Brown. Who bizarrely was testifying against Fred Talbot the other day, which keeps my post almost on topic!

• Like 2