Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

All my horizon lights over Barr Beacon have disappeared...........Somethings on its way

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Heavy snow here at the moment!

Regarding this polar low thing. I'm confused already some forecast show it over wales wand south west and other over east side of midlands. Funny really. One chart posted shows it going down South Yorkshire and East Midlands and everybody who lives there agrees with it.

Posted

MET OFFICE Chief Forecaster's assessment, A small area of low pressure is expected to move southeastwards and bring a more persistent spell of rain, sleet and snow to parts of western Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and the Midlands. This likely to lead to further accumulations of snow, especially on high ground, whilst also increasing the risk of ice.

The track of this system is a little uncertain at present and this warning may be adjusted as and when necessary.

Interesting radar watching tonight :)

Rain in a Polar Low? No chance Mr Met man, tbh :)

Posted

all my horizon lights over barr beacon have disappeared...........Somethings on its way

It certainly is because it's here right now. Quite a gusty moderate snow shower blowing through. Sticking easily this time putting a fresh dusting down.

Posted

It should become fairly clear in the next few hours where it is going to track- it does look like it is going much further east than the earlier projections and the latest model runs suggest this as well (gfs, nmm, ecm though euro 4 does not)

I would say my neck of woods stands a chance - not sure if it will settle in the city centre though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We will see.

It is miles away yet. Far too early to write it off and the

forecast I saw was the latest one!

Not writing it off..as I said...I'll update my map if I need too. However, if anything it looks further east than the NMM has progged.

If I can't write it off, you can't get your hopes up and call it a downgrade, or a disgrace, or bad luck if it doesn't hit you?

Deal?  :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Sticking so much easier than earlier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I suspect the ECM track may be too far east and the Euro4 too far west. Looking at the radar, although the echoes are pulsing wnw-ese, the feature as a whole is moving se or sse. I suspect it will try and hug the Irish Sea for as long as possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry in summer and cold and snowy in winter

Jesus anyone taken a look at the nmm!! Has the whole of the east midlands in the firing line with very heavy snowfall!!frosting over here aswell!!

Where can I see the nmm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

It certainly is because it's here right now. Quite a gusty moderate snow shower blowing through. Sticking easily this time putting a fresh dusting down.

yep....just arrived

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Judging by the current track on live radar...(Forget forecasts you saw an hour ago)

I have attatched a very rough outline as to where it's heading.

1) The western extent.

2) The thicker line is it's current track based on the radar in the last hour.

3) That's the northern/eastern track.

Here is the NMM.

nmmuk-1-11-0.png?29-18

nmmuk-1-13-0.png?29-18

From Nick L, a met man in the Polar Low thread.

'Latest ECM has a spell of heavy snowfall for the East Midlands and parts of northern England, very similar to what the new NMM shows'

Anyone away from Derby/Leicester maybe north Stoke southwards should pray for snow...but expect it to be mostly dry this eve. It's an East Midlands/Northern England event at the moment, if that changes - I'll update my post.

Cheers!

Its funny looking at that because it means nothing as the track is uncertain read the met warnings also heavy snow here now Edited by snowangel32

Posted

Might just be easier if the whole thing just fizzled out now. Would save a lot of debate!

• Like 1

Posted

Huge blizzard at around 4pm today left minor roads as well as busier ones struggling. Hoping for a good downfall tonight, would rather there was enough to make my decision about leaving the house or not easier tomorrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

This is shaping up to be a great winter, daytime snow, the polar low and monday's feature. It might all be rain, it might miss us - but the anticipation is often better than the actual event.

Snowing here btw ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Dewpoint minus 1.6c

Temp 0.3c

Still windy from SW giving a high windchill

Log fires lit and dinner on ..... come blizzard come

Might just be easier if the whole thing just fizzled out now. Would save a lot of debate!

But that is what makes the weather such good fun ... everyone has their own take on it

Posted

Dewpoint minus 1.6c

Temp 0.3c

Still windy from SW giving a high windchill

Log fires lit and dinner on ..... come blizzard come

But that is what makes the weather such good fun ... everyone has their own take on it

Oh I know.....I'm only joking! It is fun reading the debates and people's reasoning for why they will see the most snow.

A nice little period of snowy weather this last 24 hours. Nowhere near the dizzy heights of 2010 or 2013 but way above 2014.

Worth remembering at this point that 2009 and 2012 had yet to get going properly at this point of the winter.

Edited by Gord