Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Snowyowl9

Energy light bulbs dark light contain mercury danger.

Good advice, but the warnings are not a new thing regarding fluorescent lamps/bulbs, many have the tradditional larger/longer tubes in places like kitchens and sheds and have done for decades now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamp

Better where possible to use even more efficient and longer lasting white LED lighting. Our kitchen is now illuminated with an energy consumption of 20w compared to 200w of supposedly efficient halogen bulbs that were lucky if they lasted 6 months.

Mercury tubes also have a short life and their output degrades over time and the flicker can aggravate headaches and migraine.

Better where possible to use even more efficient and longer lasting white LED lighting. Our kitchen is now illuminated with an energy consumption of 20w compared to 200w of supposedly efficient halogen bulbs that were lucky if they lasted 6 months.

Mercury tubes also have a short life and their output degrades over time and the flicker can aggravate headaches and migraine.

Thanks, you cleared up the question I immediately thought of re LED bulbs.

LOL, more expensive and now we find that they are a danger to llife.

What in the name of all that's holy is that thread on about?!  :rofl:

And why are there radioactive symbols on that graphic? 

I did follow up on the opening thread and the site it lead to but decided to play it with a straight bat

However, I think the term you are looking for is 'Woowoo' ;)

What in the name of all that's holy is that thread on about?!  :rofl:

And why are there radioactive symbols on that graphic? 

That is the official sign,did you realize how dangerous mercury is.

I'm pretty sure Mercury isn't radioactive. Incredibly toxic yes, but it's not radioactive.

I'm pretty sure Mercury isn't radioactive. Incredibly toxic yes, but it's not radioactive.

I remember when they were trying to phase all the old light bulbs out,we stocked up on them and the shopkeeper said they`ll never phase them out and he was right.

Those bright sparks over in Brussels have decided to stop you buying old-fashioned light bulbs.

The EU dictatorship at work again.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1107403/CHRISTOPHER-BOOKER-Dimwits-Those-bright-sparks-Brussels-decided-stop-buying-old-fashioned-light-bulbs.html#ixzz3Q0xsV9jB

I remember when they were trying to phase all the old light bulbs out,we stocked up on them and the shopkeeper said they`ll never phase them out and he was right.

Those bright sparks over in Brussels have decided to stop you buying old-fashioned light bulbs.

The EU dictatorship at work again.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1107403/CHRISTOPHER-BOOKER-Dimwits-Those-bright-sparks-Brussels-decided-stop-buying-old-fashioned-light-bulbs.html#ixzz3Q0xsV9jB

Is it really that much of a big deal?

Is it really that much of a big deal?

Good health is always a big deal.

Quote from wiki.

Mercury is liquid at room temperature, and fumes of mercury are very poisonous. Ingested elemental mercury is less dangerous. The biggest problems are organic mercury compounds which are eaten with food. However, inorganic compounds such as mercury(II) nitrate are also highly toxic by ingestion (eating) or inhalation (breathing in) of the dust.[21] Mercury can cause both chronic and acute poisoning.

In the year 1810, over 200 people died of mercury poisoning on the ship Triumph because a barrel of mercury had leaked.

Mercury is extremely poisonous and has to be used carefully. When mercury is spilled, there are special ways to clean it up.[22] Smaller drops should be combined to a larger drop on hard surfaces to be removed more easily (for example, being pushed into a bag that can be thrown away). Vacuum cleaners and brooms should not be used. This is because they can spread mercury even more. Afterwards, elements such as sulfur or zinc powder should be sprinkled over the place, then collected and cleaned away. It is not easy to clean mercury entirely off clothing, so it is better not to use them anymore. Breathing in mercury vapor is also very dangerous.[21]

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(element)

I know its the daily mail again your favourite paper lol.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-506347/An-energy-saving-bulb-gone--evacuate-room-now.html

Why the radioactive signs,does it mean hazard maybe.

Energy-saving light bulbs are so dangerous that everyone must leave the room for at least 15 minutes if one falls to the floor and breaks, a Government department warned yesterday.

The startling alert came as health experts also warned that toxic

mercury inside the bulbs can aggravate a range of problems including migraines and dizziness.

And a leading dermatologist said tens of thousands of people with skin complaints will find it hard to tolerate being near the bulbs as they cause

conditions such as eczema to flare up.

The Department for Environment warned shards of glass from broken bulbs should not be vacuumed up but instead swept away by someone wearing rubber gloves to protect them from the bulb's mercury content.

In addition, it said care should be taken not to inhale any dust and the broken pieces should be put in a sealed plastic bag for disposal at a council dump – not a normal household bin.

None of this advice, however, is printed on the packaging the new-style bulbs are sold in. There are also worries over how the bulbs will be disposed of.

Under new regulations for hazardous waste, councils are obliged to recycle them.

At present, they should be placed in special bins also used for batteries at a council dump. But in future, councils will have to provide a collection service or install special recycling banks for the bulbs.

There are fears that without a proper disposal system, the mercury content could contaminate water supplies.

But disposing of one municipal recycling bin full of bulbs costs about £650 each time, adding to fears of higher council tax bills.

The warnings cast a shadow over Government plans to begin phasing out traditional tungsten lights this month.

Ministers hope that using the more environmentally friendly bulbs will save at least five million tons of carbon dioxide emissions every year.

The bulbs are due to become compulsory in homes in four years.

Campaigners are calling for an

opt-out so that people with health problems can still use old-style bulbs.

Others are thinking of hoarding the familiar pear-shaped bulbs so that they can keep on using them even after they have disappeared from the shops.

Independent environmental scientist Dr David Spurgeon warned yesterday: "Because these light bulbs contain small amounts of mercury, they could cause a problem if disposed of in a normal bin.

"It is possible that the mercury could be released into the air or from land-fill when they are released into the wider environment. That is a concern, because mercury is a well-known toxic substance."

And dermatologist Dr John Hawk, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that some people already find it difficult to tolerate the fluorescent-strip lighting that is widely used in schools and offices, which works in the same way as the eco-friendly bulbs.

He said: "Fluorescent lights seem to have some sort of ionising characteristic where they affect the air around them.

"This does affect a certain number of people, probably tens of thousands, in Britain, whose ailments flare up just by being close to them.

"Certain forms of eczema – some of which are very common – do flare up badly anywhere near fluorescent lights, so these people have to just be around incandescent (old-style) lighting."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-506347/An-energy-saving-bulb-gone--evacuate-room-now.html#ixzz3Q1GCvE2A

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I think we all know pretty much what mercury (hg) is and what it does...It's also in thermometers and blood-pressure testers btw. Who comes up with all these scare stories anyway? The fossil-fuel cartel?

If we look at a less scare-mongering source than the Daily Mail, such as the NHS, there is less cause for concern...

If you break a mercury thermometer or light bulb, a small amount of liquid mercury may spill out. Liquid mercury can separate into small beads, which can roll some distance away. The mercury may also evaporate into vapour.
However, this small amount of mercury is extremely unlikely to cause problems for your health.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/854.aspx?CategoryID=87

Daily "living gives you cancer" Mail or the NHS? I know who I'd trust more on health matters.

Oh dear! We used to play air football with mercury in science classes in school using straws!

5mg of Hg in a lightbulb and unless you clear up a broken bulb and then lick your fingers, there's no problem -  Lighting Research Center at Rensselaer

The scare brigade is in full action again me thinks!

Not particularly.

I used to work with it a couple of days a week for 4-5 years (unreactive media for high pressure experiments); a few litres of the stuff in liquid form. Wee beads of it on the floor and stuff.

Basic rule was don't drink it and keep it off your skin. The latter happened to me quite a few times and I never tested above background.

Mercury vapour is a hazard, notably long term exposure through inhalation.

If the bulb was hot when it broke and you dived down and took a big breath that would be a bit stupid, but unlikely to do you any harm. If you did this intentionally with a crap load of bulbs each day you might start to feel ill.

For a cold bulb there will be little to no vapour.

Nick's NHS story is correct. There have been a good few Hg hoaxes going around in the past re bulbs.

Certainly makes sense not to put old bulbs to landfill though just as it is batteries or other electronic goods - just collect them in a bag and dispose of at the recycling centre.

If we look at a less scare-mongering source than the Daily Mail, such as the NHS, there is less cause for concern...

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/854.aspx?CategoryID=87

Daily "living gives you cancer" Mail or the NHS? I know who I'd trust more on health matters.

Just found a link now about the radiation.

Below is a summary of the three principal health risks associated with energy saving lamps, namely electromagnetic fields, mercury and UV radiation. 

1. Electromagnetic radiation and dirty electricity

http://www.mastsanity.org/21-health/health/265-factsheet-the-three-main-health-risks-associated-with-energy-saving-lamps-cfls.html

Just found a link now about the radiation.

Below is a summary of the three principal health risks associated with energy saving lamps, namely electromagnetic fields, mercury and UV radiation. 

1. Electromagnetic radiation and dirty electricity

http://www.mastsanity.org/21-health/health/265-factsheet-the-three-main-health-risks-associated-with-energy-saving-lamps-cfls.html

That's still not radioactivity. Mercury is NOT radioactive.

And I certainly wouldn't trust a site that thinks communications masts are a massive health concern. My word of advice is not to take scaremongering conspiracy sites too seriously.

That's still not radioactivity. Mercury is NOT radioactive.

Sorry but its all electromagnetic radiation in the end.

Incandescent lamps emit very little electromagnetic radiation. CFLs on the contrary emit radiofrequency radiation in the frequency range of 25 to 100 kilohertz (kHz).

Measurements by the independent French research centre CRIIREM show that CFLs generate powerful electromagnetic fields (EMF) close to the source, up to 1 meter distance (1). At a distance of 20 centimeters, radiation levels can be as high as 180 Volts per meter (!) Measurements by the Flemish Institute for Technological Research (VITO) have confirmed these findings (2).

CRIIREM therefore advises not to use energy saving lamps at too close a distance, for example, as desk lamps or as a reading lamp beside the bed (3). A ban on incandescent lamps, however, will result in more people using CFLs as desk or bed lamps, thereby exposing them to very high levels of EMF.

Sorry but its all electromagnetic radiation in the end.

Incandescent lamps emit very little electromagnetic radiation. CFLs on the contrary emit radiofrequency radiation in the frequency range of 25 to 100 kilohertz (kHz).

Measurements by the independent French research centre CRIIREM show that CFLs generate powerful electromagnetic fields (EMF) close to the source, up to 1 meter distance (1). At a distance of 20 centimeters, radiation levels can be as high as 180 Volts per meter (!) Measurements by the Flemish Institute for Technological Research (VITO) have confirmed these findings (2).

CRIIREM therefore advises not to use energy saving lamps at too close a distance, for example, as desk lamps or as a reading lamp beside the bed (3). A ban on incandescent lamps, however, will result in more people using CFLs as desk or bed lamps, thereby exposing them to very high levels of EMF.

"Incandescent lamps emit very little EM radiation" - they emit light don't they?!

And can you find the peer reviewed paper(s) for these findings? Who are CRIIREM?

"Incandescent lamps emit very little EM radiation" - they emit light don't they?!

And can you find the peer reviewed paper(s) for these findings? Who are CRIIREM?

Background radiation is everwhere,and with Wi/FI and mobile phone masks its higher than what it need to be.

Background radiation is everwhere,and with Wi/FI and mobile phone masks its higher than what it need to be.

The radiation generated by wi-fi and mobiles is so small it's negligible.

The radiation generated by wi-fi and mobiles is so small it's negligible.

Mercury by itself is natural so I suspect they are scaremongering more that what they need to be.

I use to have a mercury toy maze years ago.

Saying that they use to advertise smoking like it was good for you lol.

I had no idea although my other half is well versed what to do if these lights break as he swears by them so i'm quite shocked how careful you need to be.

Low energy light bulbs require large amounts of mercury for production. Much of this comes from south America where it is causing serious pollution of the Amazon. It is collected by small groups of very poor and desperate people ( think goldrush-style operation) who require a lot of water to extract it. The mercury is being washed out to sea and contaminating tuna. Tuna meat now contains much more mercury than it used to.

LED technology is the way foreward and it has come down in price hugely. Bulbs are less expensive now than low energy bulbs. LEDs use far less energy than so-called low energy bulbs and last far, far longer- can be as long as 25 years! Why the govt isn 't promoting them is a mystery.

• Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners - Blog by Jenny Bell WWW.NETWEATHER.TV In the first in a regular series of gardening articles, Jenny Bell gives her top tips for new gardeners who are maybe taking their first gardening steps during the lockdown.  

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Warm Sunny Days Before A More Unsettled & Cooler Easter Weekend

High pressure in charge next few days will bring warm sunshine for many, but from Good Friday and through the Easter Weekend it will turn cooler and more unsettled with showers. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather