Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms 2nd half of Winter

Spikecollie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I've just been looking around and some of the French forecasting sites are progging a big wind event for the end of next week in northern France - one even billing it as a second winter storm. The MO are also hinting at potentially very disturbed weather for the period. Any thoughts...

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

End of next week could potentially deliver some very windy weather, but not looking as severe as the last spell.... At this stage anyway!

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted

A very deep trough looks like setting up near the UK later next week, very volatile and unstable anything could happen! Could spawn some deep secondary depressions which may not be picked up until nearer the time. 

post-9615-0-80668000-1422036871_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-62070300-1422036878_thumb.pn

Should be a good day for ridge soaring at the LGC, Dunstable Downs - the wind is in a good direction for this - just hope it does not overdo it - will decide closer to the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

End of next week could potentially deliver some very windy weather, but not looking as severe as the last spell.... At this stage anyway!

The last spell turned out to be a moderate breeze here, so this one should turn out to be a gentle breeze.

Will these storms be for the North or South?

Pretty much 90% of all weather events have been non events down south this winter, so my guess is that it will be over hyped and add up to nothing down south........as usual. lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

The last spell turned out to be a moderate breeze here, so this one should turn out to be a gentle breeze.

Pretty much 90% of all weather events have been non events down south this winter, so my guess is that it will be over hyped and add up to nothing down south........as usual. lol.

I agree!

On Tuesday I was in West Yorkshire with work and tues/wed was a fantastic snow event there, I was disappointed to have to drive home on Wednesday afternoon! During the drive I drove through a near whiteout / blizzard near Sheffield on the M1, 1.5 hours later I was back to no snow down south and sun! I felt like driving back up north again!

Posted

Move up north :D Wouldn't rule anything out at this stage though! 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted

All day Wednesday into early Thursday next week looks very windy widespread gusts over 60mph for most of the UK and Ireland. Models still aren't sure yet still some changes between them which is expected since its still over 100 hours away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Should be interesting flying back into manchester then !!!..

Yep for me too, I'm out tomorrow and back on Saturday!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Looks like the end of the month could turn pretty active and potentially stormy according to ECM & GFS. Some excitement to keep an eye on! :)

Posted

Yes the models have been hinting over the past few days for the Atlantic to wake up again and possibly bring us a few more winter storms before the winter comes to an end. Friday looks to be the closest day of some windy weather the 12z GFS shows 50 to 60mph gusts across the UK,

post-6686-0-01518200-1424019521_thumb.pn

Still many changes yet though but something to keep a watch on.

Looking out to the end of February into early March the GFS shows 2 deep lows at 930mb to 935mb hit the UK. Although still very far away the trend has been building for stormy weather to return.

post-6686-0-36615200-1424019796_thumb.pn

Today has been a windy day for Western and Northern Scotland some of the top gusts,

Butt of Lewis 81mph

Aird Uig 81mph

South Uist 60mph

Isle of Barra 57mph

Stornoway 53mph

Lochboisdale 53mph

Benbecula 52mph

South uist Askernish 51mph

Tiree 50mph

• Like 1

Posted

Some very disturbed charts on offer from both the GFS & ECM this morning, could be a noteworthy stormy period if the models maintain the very unsettled looking charts into the nearer time frame. Winter 2015 could go out with a bang! 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Fridays storm quickly removed which wasn't a surprise considering the lack of support for such a feature. Looks like we're in for a run of stormy predictions which disappear rapidly the closer we get to the actual time frame.

Posted

945mb storms on both the UKMO & ECM this morning @ 144hrs, interesting times ahead if it's wind storms your into! Although a lot can change within 6 days but worth keeping an eye on. 

post-9615-0-02811400-1424162910_thumb.gipost-9615-0-90199200-1424162917_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

BBC concerned about the storm on Friday,their graphic shows it deepening as it crosses England,at odds with models we view here on NW.

Posted

I would suggest that the most realistic idea is shown on the link below for 23rd?

http://www.weathercharts.org/ukmomslp.htm#UKmet-prognosis-00z

Posted

Can't post charts on this ruddy tablet?

Anyway the ukmo at 144hrs would certainly lead to problems if it verified. Vast swathes of the UK under threat from 70mph+ gusts

Edited by sunnijim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Can't post charts on this ruddy tablet?

Anyway the ukmo at 144hrs would certainly lead to problems if it verified. Vast swathes of the UK under threat from 70mph+ gusts

PM me your problem Sj, I might be able to help?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I haven't got much faith beyond four days at the moment. Beeb seem to think Friday is going to be more significant and showed a chart more akin to Sundays GFS. So who knows.