Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted

In terms of the snow prospects over the next few days the BBC via the MO don't seem very keen on getting ahead of themselves, a very cautious one/two day at a time approach. Wise given the way that small synoptic changes will make a big difference between rain and snow, who gets it and who doesn't.

Posted

Wouldn't it be good to have a much more detailed service in this country.

Professionals taking time to discuss what the various models show, with longer details.

They get so little time to chat outside the couple of mins they are allowed.

Have to go back to the sixties when you could speak to the duty forecaster on the phone at the local RAF station.

Progrsss today means we only have machines to look at or listen to.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Pretty consistent 850`s for London into Feb.

03772_2800.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Here's a cheeky peek at the height of the snowfall risk on the ECM:

attachicon.gifuk_ec8panel_ec_1501280000_1502030600.png

We may get a better idea of Monday's low track towards or west of the UK on the freebie EC postage stamps at T+120 this evening, but for now it's there on most of the 51 stamps lurking over Iceland Sunday night, but where will it track?

http://old.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!120!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2015012800!!/

Actually, at t+96, quite a few members with that low moving down the North Sea quite inland across the east of England - so could be some potential there for more organised precip ... though if the lows too far west than it may drag in less cold air with the precip.

http://old.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!96!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2015012800!!/

• Like 2

Posted

Loooking at the Met Office  pressure chart for saturday ,the troughs and the strong North  winds seem to be to the west  of the UK ,, welcome views on thIs set up

uphttp://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/surface-pressure/#?tab=surfacePressureColour&fcTime=1422662400

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

We may get a better idea of Monday's low track towards or west of the UK on the freebie EC postage stamps at T+120 this evening, but for now it's there on most of the 51 stamps lurking over Iceland Sunday night, but where will it track?

http://old.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!120!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2015012800!!/

Actually, at t+96, quite a few members with that low moving down the North Sea quite inland across the east of England - so could be some potential there for more organised precip ... though if the lows too far west than it may drag in less cold air with the precip.

http://old.ecmwf.int/samples/d/inspect/teasers/samplers/banner/mean_sea_level_pressure_and_temperature_at_850hpa!96!pop!od!enfo!enplot!2015012800!!/

It's certainly one to keep an eye on, and it will chop and change considerably over coming runs.

Meanwhile though, the focus is on the barrage of snow showers affecting the northern half of the UK, at least a dusting is possible pretty much anywhere north of Birmingham tonight. ECM doesn't show many showers getting across to the eastern half of the UK but it tends to underdo this so even eastern parts will see at least a few showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The 06z GFS grazes the south west with that low, more interestingly though again is the wave running south on Monday into Tuesday, this front appears to give a good few hours of snow to most locations as it moves south.

gfs-0-132.png?6

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

Here's a cheeky peek at the height of the snowfall risk on the ECM:

attachicon.gifuk_ec8panel_ec_1501280000_1502030600.png

What does the red shaded area on the top far right precipitation chart mean Nick?

Posted

What does the red shaded area on the top far right precipitation chart mean Nick?

Likely areas of sleet/snow.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm hoping for some advice please on the best free radars available please?  The only one I use at the moment is "will it rain today", which I find ok as it updates every 15 mins, but it doesn't seem to show precipitation type?  Are there any alternatives.  Thank you.

Posted

Someone asked yesterday for paint jobs,as someone who isn't skilled in any way at reading the models,and relies on clear interpretation from the main posters in here...... Can we have some more piccasos please?

It really does make things so much clearer for a visual learner like me.

I do know it's time consuming.

Thanks in advance guys.

Seconded! It really does help to visualise. Thank you x

• Like 3

I'm hoping for some advice please on the best free radars available please?  The only one I use at the moment is "will it rain today", which I find ok as it updates every 15 mins, but it doesn't seem to show precipitation type?  Are there any alternatives.  Thank you.

If you want an app you could check out Met desk's Home and Dry and Snowfall radar http://www.metdesk.com/?page_id=1722, which I find pretty good. Have to pay for it though.

G

Posted

If you want an app you could check out Met desk's Home and Dry and Snowfall radar http://www.metdesk.com/?page_id=1722, which I find pretty good. Have to pay for it though.

G

I would definitely recommend it  :wink:

Anyway, let's get back to the models folks! :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Just bought the App, looks very good so far although the slider for the times keeps resetting back automatically.

Anyway, Charts are looking good for cold but snow is always going to be unpredictable in terms of amounts and areas affected, especially further south where elevation is crucial at times.

Nice charts and not seen the likes of these for longevity  since December 2010, of course charts can change so much 3 days out let alone two weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

I am very happy with current charts and Data but as is the usual putting the meat on the bones is very hard at the moment .but here we go the expected cold air is flooding south and snow showers for some and little features could pop up now we have colder temp crossing warm seas .so friday looking a day of milder temperatures and this weekend brings an arctic blast with the possibility of sudden developements which will i think be a very nowcast situation .interesting start to next week if we get a low track south east to our west ,but probably very frustrating for many posters as the track and many other synoptic variables could give a hit for some and a miss for others .and the prospect of a good cold spell developing as the models swing in our favour .realy hope we all get our Fix from some feature ,great forum and its only late January ,cheers  :drinks:  :cold:

• Like 3

Posted

The 6z ensembles continue to give me cause for concern re. next week, even more than the previous 8. I'm not sure how long this will be sustained before the op breaks and goes the way of the others? Perhaps it's on the right path but it would be good to see the many milder members head south to join their big brother:

post-2020-0-51772900-1422449495_thumb.pn

Edited by West is Best
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Not the best ensembles, control a bit out on its own past the 3rd, lets hope its higher resolution means everything 

*edit* sorry just seen yours WIB

post-4955-0-53241400-1422449518_thumb.pn

Edited by Nicholas B

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Have to say a well done to BFTP though. Several days ago I was dismissing this cold spell and yet BFTP was adamant it could be noteworthy and based on the evidence he was right.

Do you have a link for this? Thankyou kindly

Posted

I've only looked beyond 192 hours and the GEFS are dire, but again I don't think it really matters in this scenario. They are also showing wide scatter rather than a strong signal for any one scenario.

In this scenario its 'opp runs' all the way. The ensembles are a very useful tool but I suspect they will add very little for a couple of days. So much so, that I never even bothered looking at last nights and I use them a lot.

Only my opinion of course and others will take a different view :-)

• Like 1

Posted

It's always nice to see better GEFS support but as Jason says above, in this scenario, I wouldn't read too much into it (yet). Seen it plenty of times before, my money is on them pulling in towards the GFS Op's way of thinking by the weekend.

That said, they are there for a reason, so cannot be wholly discounted. So the sooner they do pick up on the signal sniffed out by the higher res ops, the better!

Posted

Never bothered with the GEFS myself preferring to make a judgement on an ensemble in my head of recent operationals. The operational runs are just that for a good reason, they are the best guess the model can make based on the data. The ensembles are tweaked data presumably to a preset set of parameters. To my mind I start getting twitchy when the operationals start jumping around or when there is a wide spread of opinions across model output, at least across the big three anyway. At this point of time we have as good a consensus across the model spread for the next week as you are likely to see. I remain cautiously optimistic and my interested is now in relation to the models is what happens Tues Wed  and onwards next week. For the next few days the regional threads and what's out of the window will be my focus, I would say lamp post watching except we don't have one, maybe if I'm lucky making tea and coffee for benighted travellers stuck in their cars.

Edited by weather eater
  • Like 2