Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It will be interesting to know if the METO still see signals for blocking Mid Feb, if so then maybe some changes to the current mid term outlook will happen.  Not much sign of this happening at the minute but with a bit of strat warming in the offing maybe the models are not seeing the bigger picture medium - long term. 

MET also have access to different models

I think there is a bit of a lag between what we see in the latest model output and Media ouput/TV broadcasts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Unfortunately the absence of upstream blocking with a flattened jet without bifurcation makes any northerly on these shores likely to be transient. It's toppler territory, at best.

Yes there has been and still is a lack of blocking to our North this winter, particularly in the Greenland area which makes the chances of any 'prolonged' freeze up unlikely.

And yes I suppose that in the strictest sense of the setup, we do have a Northerly toppler.

However, I do believe that you are not doing the current projected setup justice. To me, a standard transient toppler is a 24 hour affair with a few wintry showers around the coast.

This looks far more potent than that and there is still the potential, despite the continuing negativity in here, for snow to fall and settle just about anywhere in the UK between now and this time next week. All of the models around the 144 mark this morning show a screaming Northerly which could well contain troughs and disturbances etc.

Lets enjoy the next seven days and see where we are then. We have a cold spell starting in 48 hours which could last five days, maybe longer.

Even if the whole pattern collapses early next week, I firmly believe there will be more opportunities for cold and snow as we go into February...

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 5

Posted

Nick s, the spread s of Greenland begins to look moe like a deep depression with each run!

Yes I agree especially when you look at the De Bilt ensembles, there is also a  cluster that looks like it takes a low se to the sw of the UK between T168 and T192hrs but overall those extended ensembles look in the majority to be bringing in much more mobility. Still a few there that keep things colder but overall the signal looks pretty strong to me.

Posted

I must confess to being a little surprised  at some of the comments this morning.

Anyone following the ens. and trends in the op runs will have seen that the coming cold spell was always likely to ease around the 4/5th February as the Azores high started to come back in.

The 2m Ens graph for yesterday and today shows this

attachicon.gifw2.pngattachicon.gifw3.png

a prolonged spell of more than a week has never been on the cards from all the runs i have seen recently so the trend to something less cold remains as before.

The ECM mean showing the cold air being pushed away by day 10

attachicon.gifEDH0-240.gif

and the Azores ridge toppling this way.which is pretty much as expected. 

Spot on...... nothing has changed........ And you have even used charts to back it up......  :yahoo:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Amongst any snow later this week and early Feb the wind chill is going to make it feel bitter

66-290UK.GIF?26-078-290UK.GIF?26-0102-290UK.GIF?26-0126-290UK.GIF?26-0174-290UK.GIF?26-0

Whilst daytime highs get upto around 3c to 5c the wind chill will make it feel much colder so even if you don't get any snow it will still be felling bitterly cold

:cold:

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 6

Posted

There are going to be some unhappy bunnies if it is cold and dry that you are expecting.Showers driven well in land Wednesday

And plenty of instability Thursday 

fax84s.gif?2

Rrea00120041225_2.gif

Widespread snow showers in the north west and NI in 2004, in 850s of -6 and -7.

Edited by Alexis
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Seems to have a decent handle on the situation when compared to the fax charts

http://www.myweather2.com/synop/player.aspx?synop=2

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

This cold snap was always going to be short lived.i read a reference to someone comparing it to 2010.in 30 years of forecasting. Unless we get a blocking high pressure at or above 1055mb in either Greenland or a scandi high.we won't get a prolonged period of snowy cold weather.we can look at all computer data and models till we are blue in the face.but in my experience that's the basic principles of a prolonged period of cold weather . I'm looking forward to seeing 4 days of snow showers all the same.i will update this post tonight when I get back to my ipad at home.

Posted

Looking at the weekend and the Low filling somewhere east of us,it can bring very wintry conditions and has in the recent past.Localised streamers can easily set up

gfs-0-150.png?0

ECM1-144.GIF?26-12

Here in 2009 

archives-2009-2-7-0-0.png

And yes that is the ever present Azores high

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 4

Posted

Some interesting weather ahead this week.  No nation-wide freeze but a cool/cold spell with a few wintry showers in places.  Scotland and north western parts of England as well as parts of Wales likely to get some decent accumulating snow especially if aided with some elevation.  For most of lowland England this upcoming spell is unlikely to deliver - however with the wind it will feel bitter at times though temperatures will comfortably be above freezing by day.

The medium term outlook is very poor - strong positive NAO with a strong Polar Vortex over Greenland and the high Azores High taking up it's normal residency.  The Debilt ECM ensembles attached...

pluim_06260_0_00_60.png

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1

This cold snap was always going to be short lived.i read a reference to someone comparing it to 2010.in 30 years of forecasting. Unless we get a blocking high pressure at or above 1055mb in either Greenland or a scandi high.we won't get a prolonged period of snowy cold weather.we can look at all computer data and models till we are blue in the face.but in my experience that's the basic principles of a prolonged period of cold weather . I'm looking forward to seeing 4 days of snow showers all the same.i will update this post tonight when I get back to my ipad at home.

Not wrong there sorepaw1 - Not only that we have the following:

Roaring Jet

hgt300.png

All the way through to the end of the run:

hgt300.png

The PV strongly around Canada / Greenland

h500slp.png

Again, all the way through to the end of the run:

h500slp.png

Pluz zero signs of any blocking.

This charts sums this Winter up for me:

hgt500-1000.png

Cold & sometimes snowy incursions, quickly followed by a breakdown, followed by a transient wet & windy small "storm" in a rinse & repeat fashion.

It's better to view the NH Charts to get a good scope of how things are:

npsh500.png

npsh500.png

npsh500.png

npsh500.png

npsh500.png

npsh500.png

What I would say is any cold incursions from the West, North West or North, enjoy them when they come, because I doubt we will see any sustained cold for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at the weekend and the Low filling somewhere east of us,it can bring very wintry conditions and has in the recent past.Localised streamers can easily set up

gfs-0-150.png?0

ECM1-144.GIF?26-12

Here in 2009 

archives-2009-2-7-0-0.png

And yes that is the ever present Azores high

The 2009 chart has decent high pressure further north which is missing from this week's picture.

Posted

The 2009 chart has decent high pressure further north which is missing from this week's picture.

We may not have high pressure to the north but that does not affect wether we get snow from any particular trough setting up in our locale.

The 06z chart not looking three bad either

gfsnh-0-132.png?6

15013118_2600.gif

15013118_2600.gif

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Better 6z so far, trough not as deep upstream and further south with better ridging in the Atlantic. I know we shouldn't scrutinize each run but worth a mention! Cold spell may get extended on this run, better wait for all the 12z's later to see how we stand. 

post-9615-0-23243800-1422268032_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-45041700-1422268063_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted

Mr Benn is at it again Nick.....

41Y-IeMFVkL._AA160_.jpg

gfsnh-0-162.png?6

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 2

Posted

And back to the here and now. Wednesday - Friday: dew-points looking ok for snow pretty much everywhere throughout this period, except temporarily on a couple of coasts:

60-101UK.GIF?26-6

96-101UK.GIF?26-6

Now further ahead - whilst I agree with the logic of most posts here (i.e. no northern blocking = no sustained cold), we have to remember that all our recent short cold spells have appeared quite late in the day. The low-level snow opportunities for this week were non-existent until T168/T192 IIRC. There's definitely a pattern this winter for the Azores High to drift ever so slightly NW-wards as T0 approaches - that tendency could prolong the cold a bit more. So it would be unwise to shout from the rooftops that the cold spell will end next Monday/Tuesday just yet.

In fact the latter stages of GFS 06Z demonstrate what could happen: slightly different interaction off Newfoundland and suddenly we're almost getting energy going south under a block.

gfsnh-0-174.png?6

• Like 4

Posted

I really do think the met office warnings will extend the warning area today!! This northwesterly that is coming up has plenty of troughs coming across the uk im very cold air!! Could mean streams of snow showers one after the other!! Gfs 06z looks brilliant so far with a stronger atlantic ridge!!

• Like 4

Posted

There looks to be a front crossing North to South on friday with a fair bit of precip within it, looking at the precip type it shows rain...and slightly warmer 850s. 

Is it possible this could be a snow event??

Early next week could have a substantial snowfall on latest GFS, big uprade for longevity of cold too.

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted

This is going to be unusual should it occur.

I am so used to looking for snow showers from the NE/E but never coming from the cheshire gap.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs813.gif

Derbyshire tend to do well in these situations as does Wales.

• Like 2