Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

A very cold arctic plunge on 00z ECM down across Scandinavia then eastern Europe from around the 8th/9th with -10C T850s to italy and -15C to the Balkans by the 11th. This occurs, as Steve M mentions last night, when the flow amplifies upstream around the NW Atlantic/S Greenland - in response to a piece of the trop PV dropping SE across the far N of Canada - this allows another lobe of the trop polar vortex to drop south across Scandi.

post-1052-0-82067600-1422775603_thumb.pn

GFS has the plunge but further east. IF only we could correct that ECM plunge further west. Potential that the models may not have a strong handle on this amplification - particularly with the breaking away equatorward of the trop PV lobe around Greenland/Norwegian Sea. Though there's only a few 00z GEFS members getting the UK under the bitter plunge. Most GEFS as per operational have us under HP.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 9

Posted

I thought the azores high was supposed to gradually displace west(through the teleconections)?!

It just sits around us,sorry,its just what ive read on here this last wk or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Trouble is that big mass of vortex everywhere to our north, eg ecm 240 chart. Really could do with a split up there or strong arctic high to suck up the UK high.

Posted

More week 2 ens mean/anomoly suites have us under anomolous high heights than low ones though whilst we get run to run variation, the possibility that they are wrong exists. Steve highlighted a potential evolution last night re the models being too Far East. Sadly, the pattern early that winter was far more merdional than this (the astonishing thing about this last week has been the lack of mobility west to east. The upcoming week sees us back to where we have been all season with polar vortex movement to our north encouraging a strong northern arm across the Atlantic. Hence the high begins to sink and it's notable that it doesn't actually manage it. Shows that any different polar profile this week would probably have kept us under the cold trough influence. (The obvious comment being that the modelling has the polar profile right this week which a few years back may have been feasible but I've yet to see strong evidence that the upgrades over the past few years have done anything but improve that facet of the NWP).

Anyway, the point here is that no operational is showing a route back to deep cold within a week and given the lack of decent ens support for anything different, a slow drift to a less cold scenario is strongly likely. Of course less cold aloft may not mean less cold at the surface. That is still to be resolved but it is feb rather than dec/jan so the chances of an inversion leading to ice days are greatly reduced though still feasible.

Until we see gfs ops post day 10 beginning to show a potential cold solution on the odd run, I very much doubt anything unexpected is out there. that's the cue for the 06z to do its stuff!

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

I am not convinced the high wiil be over us as per GFS yet.This 144z chart could go another way.Any westward correction and we are in the game

UN144-21.GIF?01-06

• Like 2

Posted

A very cold arctic plunge on 00z ECM down across Scandinavia then eastern Europe from around the 8th/9th with -10C T850s to italy and -15C to the Balkans by the 11th. This occurs, as Steve M mentions last night, when the flow amplifies upstream around the NW Atlantic/S Greenland - in response to a piece of the trop PV dropping SE across the far N of Canada - this allows another lobe of the trop polar vortex to drop south across Scandi.

attachicon.gifecm500.192.png

GFS has the plunge but further east. IF only we could correct that ECM plunge further west. Potential that the models may not have a strong handle on this amplification - particularly with the breaking away equatorward of the trop PV lobe around Greenland/Norwegian Sea. Though there's only a few 00z GEFS members getting the UK under the bitter plunge. Most GEFS as per operational have us under HP.

I see what you mean Nick but the ECM whips the low NE, with an offshoot nippimg to the Med, leaving behind some very cold air over eastern Europe down to N. Africa but at the same time consolidating the HP and pushing it east.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

You'd think looking at the models that there was now good, nailed on, agreement for the end of this (frankly pale and miserable) cold spell. All three models prog the toppler high mid week with warm uppers slowly building from the north, leading to the possibility of inversion: cold at the bottom and warmer at the top. Much on that will depend on whether the high is 'dirty,' as we've frequently seen at this time of year, especially after the damp ground from all this rain, sleet and slushy mix.

However, for those who would like to see the current setup continue or perhaps improve the GEFS ensembles continue to hold out some hope. The operationals are on the mild side, with many colder members:

post-2020-0-23162600-1422778038_thumb.pn

However, the fact that the three operationals from GFS, ECM and UKMO go for the midweek toppler high makes the colder members probably around a 10% chance, maybe less.

Looking ahead there's now a significant potential problem. Many of us look to blocking for proper cold to occur, and blocked signals are pounced upon. Over the last 20 years we've seen February and March become ideal times for this as the jet, typically, abates. Unfortunately if the blocking is in the wrong place that's not so great. This high that is building over the UK this week has the potential to stick around for a long time, either over us or just to our east. The winter clock could be ticking.

Edited by West is Best
  • Like 6

Posted

Any global drivers remain of little anticipated influence into medium range (as previously outlined). MJO expected to remain weak in W Pacific, with only a minority of ENS yielding sufficient amplitude to be of predictive value for UK weather. Signal for a significant SSW mid-Feb remains a minority in latest output. Despite expected eastwards shunt of the cold vortex, cold/rather cold boundary layer across UK won't necessarily budge as willingly under anticyclonic conditions (when they arrive). Despite lack of clear global drivers and (currently) only minority cluster signal for major SSW, there remains tentative signs of a generally more blocked/anticyclonic/drier/colder boundary layer regime later Feb, as more simply expressed in UKMO 16-30D forecast.

Also interesting to read the 6-15 day forecast does not back the mid range GFS by mentioning Atlantic influence and unsettled conditions where as the GFS has anticyclonic conditions in charge for the foreseeable..

Posted

You'd think looking at the models that there was now good, nailed on, agreement for the end of this (frankly pale and miserable) cold spell. All three models prog the toppler high mid week with warm uppers slowly building from the north, leading to the possibility of inversion: cold at the bottom and warmer at the top. Much on that will depend on whether the high is 'dirty,' as we've frequently seen at this time of year, especially after the damp ground from all this rain, sleet and slushy mix.

However, for those who would like to see the current setup continue or perhaps improve the GEFS ensembles continue to hold out some hope. The operationals are on the mild side, with many colder members:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-02-01 at 08.06.47.png

However, the fact that the three operationals from GFS, ECM and UKMO go for the midweek toppler high makes the colder members probably around a 10% chance, maybe less.

Not too sure what you mean by "with warm uppers slowly building from the north, leading to the possibility of inversion: cold at the bottom and warmer at the top" WiB. The 'warm' uppers in the anticyclone are caused by the subsiding air which warms as it descends. It doesn't descend to the surface but stops in the lower trop where you get the inversion at the boundary of the cold and warm air. The level at which you often get the formation of Stratocumulus and gloom. On a skew-t you would have a sharp lapse from the surface to the base of the inversion with dew points rising to dry bulb level (saturated air) and then a very rapid decrease of dew point in the dry warmer air above the cloud (if there is any).

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted

Just adding to Nicks post

the UKMO break point of that low

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2015020100/UN144-21.GIF?01-06

is considerably further west than the ECM

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2015020100/ECH1-144.GIF?01-12

The polar vortex dropping like I said like last night is still just coming into UKMO range.

Thats the key peice to keep an eye on today as was mentioned last night.

I simply stated I cannot see the upgrades you were referring to and this mornings operationals continue to suggest HP centred across the UK or just centred W. I can see what you mean though looking at the UKMO but even if the models are too far W the PV continues to be modelled over Greenland.

The GEFS ensembles are now beginning to trend towards the Ops as less bitterly cold runs are on the 0Z set and the mean has risen by a few degrees.

http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20150201/00/t850Cambridgeshire.png

So in summary yes the models could shift W and we do see a very cold N,ly on the right flank of the HP. However at the moment the evidence suggests this will occur much further E into Europe.

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil
Line you referred to been removed from quoted post.
  • Like 5

Posted

The EC-GFS anomaly output this morning, link below, is pretty similar on both to the NOAA 6-10 last evening. What some are suggesting might happen is a possibility but the overall upper air evidence in the 6-10 day time frame does not suggest this being very lijkely. So high pressure dominated with surface cold not deep upper air cold seems the best bet to me.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 5

Posted

A winter anticyclone now looking the form horse with associated 'faux cold' - we've seen these in previous years hang about for several weeks and as has been said clock is ticking

Striking things has again been no sign of HLB this winter, in many ways feel we've been quite lucky to have gotten the cold PM flow we have

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Or Stratocumulus gloom Mushy. Mind if Nick is going for hard frosts that would probably rule it out.

i heed what nick says which is why i asked the question. i see you too think that its likely to be a 'dirty high'.  heres why

as winds drop out later in the week, with temps cold but above freezing by day, there will be some snow melt, clear skies at night, fog could become an issue. this often lifts to low cloud over a several day period.

secondly, your description of the inversion creating cloud is better interpreted then i could, but i agree with it which (from experience, not science) i thought it would be a 'stratfest' yesterday.

thirdly ... the position of the high

post-2797-0-93573000-1422781470_thumb.gi

thats a long seabound track for cold continental air crossing the reletively warm atlantic, before its returned to cross us in the circulation of the high. that smacks of it being a dirty high...

and fourthly

post-2797-0-05428400-1422781589_thumb.gi

theres an old embedded front heading slowly south on the eastern flank of the high... that would introduce cloud.

so whilst the mild southwesterlies might be gone (for now at least), this high is looking like a chilly gloom fest, not a clear bright cold frosty one. as things stand. whilst temps will be below average, in the calm air itll be very useable for outdoor activities, and its looking dry!

further ahead and its still looking like it MIGHT become mild, the ops are showing more likelyhood of this then any snowy cold spell. i dare say i could find ens support from a few members for this too if i bothered! lol

post-2797-0-55076000-1422782016_thumb.gi

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Just adding to Nicks post

the UKMO break point of that low

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/runs/2015020100/UN144-21.GIF?01-06

is considerably further west than the ECM

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2015020100/ECH1-144.GIF?01-12

The polar vortex dropping like I said like last night is still just coming into UKMO range.

Thats the key peice to keep an eye on today as was mentioned last night.

Yes I think we cannot discount the HP sitting further west and lower heights falling to the eastern side of the UK. The GEM Control highlights this:

post-14819-0-66104900-1422781103_thumb.p  post-14819-0-21313900-1422781103_thumb.p

It has 15-20% support amongst its ensembles and the GEFS are similar (10-15%):

post-14819-0-50424800-1422781292_thumb.p

Unlikely though and as we don't see the UKMO ensembles it is difficult to know where it sits. However Ian F has tweeted that HP looks like it is in charge for the first half of Feb, so I suspect the UKMO op is also sitting in a small cluster.

The GFS op has been a mild outlier for the last 2-3 days (0z) and has slowly been dragging its ensembles in that direction:

post-14819-0-17703200-1422781731_thumb.g

The most likely scenario is that HP will settle over the UK for 5-7 days from Thursday. As the models are just resolving this period it is probably not much help looking for what happens after that (mid Feb onwards). Looking through FI GEFS and there is no clear signal yet that the PV will go into low amplitude mode and maybe the shenanigans in November have just meant that the PV's dominance now extends into Feb rather than waning. Certainly all the expectations from that initial November meridional flow have busted and it could be that the effect of that period is to dampen the usual correlations? This current "cold" spell has mainly been on the wrong side of marginal for the south so just ordinary January weather in reality so we really need major developments in the NH if we are going to get a noteworthy cold spell in Feb. Nothing is close to hinting at that yet (still time though).

• Like 3

Posted

Not too sure what you mean by "with warm uppers slowly building from the north, leading to the possibility of inversion: cold at the bottom and warmer at the top" WiB. The 'warm' uppers in the anticyclone are caused by the subsiding air which warms as it descends. It doesn't descend to the surface but stops in the lower trop where you get the inversion at the boundary of the cold and warm air. The level at which you often get the formation of Stratocumulus and gloom. On a skew-t you would have a sharp lapse from the surface to the base of the inversion with dew points rising to dry bulb level (saturated air) and then a very rapid decrease of dew point in the dry warmer air above the cloud (if there is any).

Sorry if I raised a non-sequitur there and you're right it was a casual remark. I meant that if the moisture at the surface is trapped under the high with warmer 850hPa's above then temperature inversion is likely, that's all. You do not, correct me if I'm wrong, so often see inversion under bone-chilling 850hPa's and dry ground? To cut to the chase, with projected uppers from this toppler high rising above 0C, as opposed to, say, -10C, given the ground conditions inversion is more likely. No?

Edited by West is Best
  • Like 1

Posted

Hmmm low disrupting in the north sea at 96 hours on gfs 06z!! Wasn't there over the past few runs so keep an eye on it!! Might pull in colder uppers for a time!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

The 6z might raise a few eyebrows, high pushing further north allowing a better easterly for a time one to watch.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015020106/gfs-0-114.png?6

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Hmmm low disrupting in the north sea at 96 hours on gfs 06z!! Wasn't there over the past few runs so keep an eye on it!! Might pull in colder uppers for a time!!

Yeah it certainly looks better

gfs-6-114.png?6

gfs-6-120.png?6

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Well, well ,well.  126 and an easterly's showing with decently chilly uppers.

gfsnh-0-126.png?6 gfs-1-126.png?6

• Like 3