Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

With all the discussion about the "No Easterlies" are we unlikely to see any wind change to the nne/ne during the weekend,next week?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Looking at all 21 runs available from GFS/GEFS on the panel maps, 9 out of 21 at 168 still show what I would call a decent easterly. By decent I mean potential for snow, especially along the east coast. All charts look cold...

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=168

Blooming eck that's a fairly decent set of ens there .

Easterly certainly been sniffed at by the models . Just would love a week of freezing easterlies and a front moving up against it from the south . That has to be on the table at least for now one would of thought with low pressure over Europe set to remain in situ it's got to be even split between 3 options

: easterly

: mid lat high with our name on it .

: re amplification of the pattern to our west as Nick Sussex has shown us .

Which would keep the door open to our north/northeast ?

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 2

Posted

Not made too many posts recently as the signals remain a tad unconvincing to make any judgement.

If the GEFS were showing MLB centred just to our South or decent euro ridging through week 2 then I would be more attentive to the extended ecm which builds heights over the South of the uk with an discreet upper ridge Iberia.

I am taken by the 06z gefs memebers in week 2 in respect of how many retain trouging close to our se or s.

I wouldn't discount a repeat of the current pattern where the trough dives se. The spread on ecm day 10 is building a deep system in the Iceland locale and it's not clear where the direction of travel lies thereafter.

I just wonder if the NWP is adjusting to a very different hemispheric set up for the second half of feb. Hopefully, the extended ens will come into some agreement soon. In the meantime, I'm left waiting to see an op run diving that trough into Europe in the 10/12 day timeframe.

• Like 4

Posted

not really, theres pretty good agreement , its shown currently on the models, so whilst might not happen its fair game for comment.

Entirely fair to comment, absolutely :D  . Been a bit more tolerance on here the last couple of days, which is good to see.

That said, the 06Z GEFS are very good IMHO. At 180 there is now quite a strong easterly signal and even at 240 hours its still there (albeit watered down by then).

Clearly for the next 5 days we need to assume the opps are leading the way. From day 6-10 though the ensembles cannot be ignored. I, for one am not calling it beyond day 8 (happy to say cold to day 8  :cold: ), but I think there is a danger to read too much into what are a couple of opp runs.

Either way, I have a feeling we will know where were headed by early next week. If we do go back to a westerly regime though, then I would agree that anything major thereafter is unlikely (not impossible).

Good to see IDO posting again. Was getting worried!

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy winters

If you get the chance. Take a look at weatherbell site. Watch and listen to the SATURDAY SUMMARY. Those of you who understand global patterns, its worth a look & Listen. Especially from 11 mins on, you maybe able to work out the implications for our neck of the woods, further down the line.

Posted

GFS Op was definately on the warm side of the ensembles. Almost 40/40 for a break through from the west or a beasterly from next weekend. 20% go for a middle ground solution

Some of the ensebles (esp south) show the Op to be completely out of sink with the operational, even from the start!  Any ideas on how this can be?

post-2036-0-62779900-1422626685_thumb.pn

Posted

GFS Op was definately on the warm side of the ensembles. Almost 40/40 for a break through from the west or a beasterly from next weekend. 20% go for a middle ground solution

Some of the ensebles (esp south) show the Op to be completely out of sink with the operational, even from the start!  Any ideas on how this can be?

attachicon.gift2mIsle~of~Wight.png

It's the difference in resolution - ensembles are at 1 degree, gfs at 0.25 degrees, so you're essentially comparing quite different data, particularly when talking at ground level at the moment. The ensembles will be upgraded this year to bring them more into line with the GFS again. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

It's the difference in resolution - ensembles are at 1 degree, gfs at 0.25 degrees, so you're essentially comparing quite different data, particularly when talking at ground level at the moment. The ensembles will be upgraded this year to bring them more into line with the GFS again. 

So in a case such as the ensemble chart posted above - Should we be going with the newly upgraded higher resolution operational, or the ensemble mean? It seems strange to update the operational but not the ensembles

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Can we try and keep to Model Discussion please, There are other threads for Meto Outlook.

Thanks PM.

• Like 2

Posted

So in a case such as the ensemble chart posted above - Should we be going with the newly upgraded higher resolution operational, or the ensemble mean? It seems strange to update the operational but not the ensembles

In the particular case of the chart above I'd go with the ensemble as it appears the grid square being used for the isle of wight by the operational is more sea based than land (will see if we can shift it to stop this happening). In most cases, when looking at detail on the ground then the operational will be the way forward. 

• Like 2

Posted

It might not be considered reputable, but the GME 12z fits the NE Atlantic ridge theme discussed today with a nice convective NE'erly

Heavy snow showers I think would be driven inland from eastern coasts off the North Sea especially as  -10 uppers arrive :)

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gme/run/gmenh-0-132.png

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gme/run/gmefr-1-132.png

It used to be that the GME was quite a good early pointer towards the ECM output! That output is certainly possible, hopefully we do see the other outputs go for this tonight.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

It used to be that the GME was quite a good early pointer towards the ECM output! That output is certainly possible, hopefully we do see the other outputs go for this tonight.

It'd be quite a big win for the JMA if we did end up in an Easterly pattern, it was the first model to pick up a stronger Easterly I believe - 6z out to 84 shows a fair amount of amplification so we can assume it stuck with yesterdays 12z thoughts. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather events and always love snow

Sorry if off topic

can i ask a question, i have searched but not found what i am looking for and there are alot of knowledgable posters on here!

I have heard that the rainfall radars we all look at are not live but a prediction based on the model runs and current observations, it was mentioned on few posts recently, is that correct? Or is the precipitation radar live but wether its rain, sleet or snow is what the prediction factor is?

Thanks

Posted

Well Guys and Girls we now await the 12z run of the GFS. I am hoping for upgrades for this run.

Its likely we have a 'better' run compared to the 0z run.

Edited by Skulltheruler
  • Like 1

Posted

Sorry if off topic

can i ask a question, i have searched but not found what i am looking for and there are alot of knowledgable posters on here!

I have heard that the rainfall radars we all look at are not live but a prediction based on the model runs and current observations, it was mentioned on few posts recently, is that correct? Or is the precipitation radar live but wether its rain, sleet or snow is what the prediction factor is?

Thanks

It is off topic, but the radar is live from the UK's radar network, the precip type detection is based on model data/observations. Feel free to pm me if you would like further info.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Sorry if off topic

Thanks

Precip type radars use the model data to determine what the most likely type of precipitation is falling. It is a good guide but may not necessarily represent what is actually happening.

The actual precipitation intensity shown is live and not model derived.