Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted

I have to say as well, hats off to the GFS it has done really quite well with this spell, except for over complicating the LP for a time, it certainly picked up the slider low early.

The 06z after toying with an easterly has reverted to the idea of the MLB close or over the UK that we saw from a number of runs a couple of days ago, I still think this looks like the most likely solution with the possibility of a reload thereafter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Interesting second week with the Atlantic high ridging into Scandinavia and then retrogrades back into the Atlantic, only to yet again push into Scandinavia. 

gfs-0-192.png?6

gfs-0-234.png?6

Cold out to day 10 with snow showers again pushing into some eastern areas at times.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

850 wet bulb potential temperatures are several degrees above freezing as we head into Thursday night, ideally you want these to be at freezing or below. Although the fact it is night-time will help as the precip moves southwards, and in any heavier bursts snow is certainly possible.

The 850s are at -5C DPs -2C as discussed two days ago, but the situation has changed in that WBFL now appears to be much more favourable with freezing levels down to below 100m even for here, yet rain is still being forecast for this period. So now what is stopping snow from falling?

• Like 1

Posted

The 850s are at -5C DPs -2C as discussed two days ago, but the situation has changed in that WBFL now appears to be much more favourable with freezing levels down to below 100m even for here, yet rain is still being forecast for this period. So now what is stopping snow from falling?

In theory - Nothing. I shouldn't worry to much. I have been pretty bullish to friends\family that anything that falls later today will be snow. I remain confident. MET now have us under a yellow warning for snow (mentions hail\rain too) The warning for later today was issued this morning, which indicates the headaches they are having with everything going on. Lot's to be positive about as we head into the weekend and into next week too.

Posted

In theory - Nothing. I shouldn't worry to much. I have been pretty bullish to friends\family that anything that falls later today will be snow. I remain confident. MET now have us under a yellow warning for snow (mentions hail\rain too) The warning for later today was issued this morning, which indicates the headaches they are having with everything going on. Lot's to be positive about as we head into the weekend and into next week too.

I have not seen any upper air ascents but I would imagine there is a steep lapse rate in the unstable polar air over the UK at the moment which will be conducive for precipitation to turn wintry once it starts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Yellow warning alert- all areas except parts of southwest:-) and this time due to "SNOW" and ice!

• Like 5

Posted

The one thing the old GFS was good at was picking out a northerly plunge, at long range - likewise its ensembles which we are currently viewing. The fact the ensembles got this and the last cold spell right is no guarantee that they are correctly modelling the future well; especially if there is to be an easterly component to the weather.

There is now some firming up on the ensembles with regard to likely pattern. The progressive signals were/are, IMO, a variance of the placement of the 'whoosh' in of the jet stream and the corresponding backwash of cold air. The models are not that good at diffluent/Rex block positioning and this seems to be what is on offer.

Pretty good agreement for below average, most of the way, in my neck of the woods - this is a time when looking at ensembles for further afield can be more enlightening than those in the back yard.

lJnnblL.png

Edit to add that Sylvain has provided more parameters for the DWD ICON model - I particularly like the 'temps sensible' option. This is an experimental type of model so accuracy is questionable but it is the first I've seen with a fog and orage forecast on the chart.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/icone_cartes.php

icon-10-24_jnd6.png

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 3

Posted

Oh dear. I was really hoping the slightly improved 0z ensembles would reflect in the 6z, with tightening of the scatter and the others being more in line with the operational. Instead the opposite has occurred, and the control has even gone off on an FI cold outlier.

Of course, the op could be right, but to have it this much out from the mean and median of members is not brilliant:

post-2020-0-39233000-1422535017_thumb.pn

Until or unless this ensemble situation improves any evolution towards further cold beyond Sunday continues to look a tad precarious to me (I'm putting it as gingerly as I know how).

Edited by West is Best
  • Like 1

Posted

Interestingly the control run goes for an easterly. At 180 hours the GEFS have support as well albeit the later range GEFS are not particularly inspiring.  

As with the 00z suite and the GEM ensembles, it would not be reasonable to say there is a strong signal, but I think there is enough today to say its not an outlier solution and should therefore be treated seriously (along with less palatable options).

It seems that there is real confusion over the handling of the PV to our NW and if the longer range models are overplaying this (which is quite likely in my own view) then a real flip in the longer term ensemble suites could occur. The PV doesn't have to move completely from Greenland / Canada as its perfectly possible to get a good easterly with low heights in these locations. Just a slight reduction in its modelled influence may be sufficient.

As always, the weather will do what it wants, but in terms of any change to zonality the signal for this is much weaker than just after Christmas. I think the ensemble suites are currently of some use up to say day 8, but after that the uncertainty is just too high.

Meanwhile lets hope we all see some snow over the next few days :) .

Edited by Jason M

Posted

i dont get it....

im uncertain why the tv people are downplaying snow chances for most of the uk when we have charts like this

attachicon.gifbrack2a.gif

surely theres huge potential there for alot of people to get snow, but the tv bbc forecasters are only talking about coastal areas exposed to the northerlies as getting any?...

Poor upper air temps Rob, that's why.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Same sort of chart as Tuesday with large central belt getting nothing.

The Classic Wishbone effect.

Ian

• Like 2

Posted

Oh dear. I was really hoping the slightly improved 0z ensembles would reflect in the 6z, with tightening of the scatter and the others being more in line with the operational. Instead the opposite has occurred, and the control has even gone off on an FI cold outlier.

Of course, the op could be right, but to have it this much out from the mean and median of members is not brilliant:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-01-29 at 12.30.09.png

Until or unless this ensemble situation improves any evolution towards further cold beyond Sunday continues to look a tad precarious to me (I'm putting it as gingerly as I know how).

And all of that should be pointing you at the fact that the ensembles are producing no more of a guide than the operationals, its one thing today, something else yesterday and tomorrow. Obviously all of this stuff is here to discuss and it's good to do so but I don't think there is much of an overwhelming case as yet for a long term continuation of the cold or a quicker return to something less so. And even if there was then any of us who have been doing this stuff for years know that  trends have a habit of changing tack. My own view on the ensembles suites and I've said so for years, is that much of the time they makes things more confused and not less so.

Edited by weather eater
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-01-29 at 12.30.09.png

Surely the fact that the op is now the new GFS model, and the ensembles are running on the old GFS makes it more and more likely that such a split will occur? We all know the old GFS had a progressive bias. We dont have the number of runs we need to be able to compare with new GFS yet - cos its literally too new to tell - but for my part I'm quite encouraged that the op keeps going off on a different solution to the ensembles. It suggests to me that old GFS is doing its usual trick of collapsing the high too quickly - and that in fact it may stick around longer with the chance of an undercut perhaps. 

But precarious? Of course. How often is the weather over the UK NOT precarious for cold. About once every few years... and usually when we get a major block to the NE it means dry weather for the majority anyway bar the East coast. There's nothing wrong with precarious.

Unless it translates to cold rain all the time. And that's the SW of England today. |-[ I need to move house.

• Like 7

Posted

the only extended ens that are showing the atlantic headed into a euro trough (disrupting across the uk) post day 10 is the candian. i did hear joe B saying that a recent topic of conversation amongst the pros over there was the good guidance of the canadian ens in the 10/15 day period over the past week or two. just saying ..............

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Well at least the models are keeping the cold for longer, lets hope this eventually turns into an easterly. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Right, that's the polar low thread all setup over here:

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82413-tracking-the-potential-polar-low-thursday-into-friday/

Should be a fun one to keep an eye on!

Polar low! (like buses)

gfs-0-108.png?12

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoes ,Hurricanes, Snow, Winter weather

Is this a second low coming in from Iceland on this run?

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/2793/gfs-0-102_rud2.png

Mucka beat me to it!

Edited by Yorlum11
  • Like 2