Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted

Can't believe how quiet this forum is. We're about to go into the coldest spell of the season, where is everybody?

UKMO and GFS at 120 similar with the "almost channel low", UKMO looks better long term with more amplification of the high

Tapping our fingers since we have high uppers to get through tomorrow and Friday before the real cold kicks in!

• Like 1

Posted

Is that the "Murr Sausage" i see at T+210hrs. ;)

Nope - a murr sausage would deliver cold. If it doesn't deliver a proper cold pool it's a sausage at best. That one looks more like a bagel

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

It's always the same Daniel as soon as the cold begins to bite everyone leaves for the regional's, which rather proves the point that in winter this thread is just a snow chasing one and very few are that interested in synoptic models unless snow is in the mix. Nothing really wrong with that I guess and I suppose (and I include myself here) we just hate to admit we are still all little kids at heart and snow brings that out in us.

Mean while in model land we have some of the best continuity I have seen for a cold spell modelled by the operational runs since 2010. The only disappointment for those of us who want to see a really prolonged and bitter cold spell is that we cannot seem to get the ops to do more than give some faint hints at possible heights to our NW.

When it is snowing outside one tends to be distracted somewhat. :)

Interesting distubances as TEITS says.Prefer the UKMO at 144z lets see if ECM follows with a N/Easterly waft.A cold gfsnh-0-192.png?12High pressure seems the likely outcome after the cold at present.

Where it sets up and meanders is another thing.

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 1

Posted

Out to t204 well out of realistic timeframe but the high is dropping South shutting off the cold feed, something the ensembles are hinting at

However, and this is deep FI, but cold uppers returning west at 240 hrs ( the South East never having lost -5 air!)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2402.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The GFS eventually manages to topple the high towards Scandi but it's a very slow affair, can't quite imagine reality being like that's shown

post-7073-0-82602200-1422463866_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Snow!!

GEM is going to excite some members.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gem/runs/2015012812/gem-0-150.png?12

Steve M will appreciate this run as beyond could be tasty!

Omega Block!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Yes GEM is the cobra run but the model is pretty poor so I would have to go with UKMO/GFS solution as much more likely

gemnh-0-144.png?12gemnh-0-180.png?12

Nice to see it modelled though and who is to say ECM won't come up with something similar and set the forum alight?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

However, and this is deep FI, but cold uppers returning west at 240 hrs ( the South East never having lost -5 air!)

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2402.gif

Battle ground but as you say miles away.

gfsnh-0-240.png?12

Not warm air that the Atlantic would encounter either

gfsnh-1-240.png?12

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

The high to the east still holding on as we move into low res on the GFS 12z, energy starting to go under to the west with some trough disruption too at +276

• Like 2

Posted

I wish that vortex over Greenland would just do one! Winding me up now, it's like it teases us - a trend appears for it to drain away and it always seems to power back up with vengeful fury.

GEM looks good but it's cannon fodder IMO, hoping to see a switch in the GFS ensembles soon.

• Like 1

Posted

Indeed that's pretty sensational and that's what I keep hoping the GFS UKMO and ECM would offer some hints at. But I guess given the time scales then jam today will be gone before we get to taste it, that's what usually happens. Better for those sorts of chart to appear at 96hrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Nice to see the models not making any dramas over that shortwave, both the GFS and UKMO clear this se. The latter though is more favourable going forward in terms of developing a colder east/ne as the ridge is likely to topple towards Scandi.

The UKMO looks to bring in 850's around -10 on its T144hrs output.

vortex certainly being pushed and pulled around still feel that theres a chance of a scandi heights just dont feel like the vortex will take much more until it completely open up the arctic area to allow futher developements through feb i always said feb would be the month and as been suggested its the last winter month when heights become more featured although with the vortex still pretty close to greenland then always a risk of a return to the weather type we have had through out this winter.

if lower heights stay to our south and dont move to far away then the possibilty to a scandi block is pretty much a possibilty.

and so far that developement is as likely as a return to zonal.

bit of a noob when coming to these charts but is this not high amp phase 8-1 and is this conductive of hlb ?

NCPE_phase_21m_small.gif

although the nao does dip briefly to neg but then returns to plus value not that im bothered because if a snow flake falls at least we can say its been a few years lol

nao.sprd2.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Battle ground but as you say miles away.

gfsnh-0-240.png?12

Not warm air that the Atlantic would encounter either

gfsnh-1-240.png?12

Yup GFS keeps the surface cold well out into deepest FI even where it loses the cold uppers

gfsnh-0-276.png?12

And given that it is probably the least favourable of the output so far this afternoon at the mid term for a cold pattern setting up then I would say we are in a very good place for an extension of the cold this afternoon.

We just need the ensembles and ECM (And JMA which has been very keen on a quick breakdown) to get on board and we can really start to get excited about what February may have in store.

• Like 3

Posted

I can, a scandy high - atlantic battle is the most likely evolution IMO.

I was referring to the evolution the Atlantic took to develop the Scandi High, I wasn't discounting a Scandi high scenario 

• Like 1

Posted

Brilliant start to the evening!! Lets hope ecm continues the wintry output! ! Gfs forms a scandi high and just persists over scandinavia for the rest of the run!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Just wondering what the established members here make of the channel low for Monday into Tuesday ? Obviously not your typical channel low but looking good to coat the Channel Islands again like the low of March 2013 ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Can't believe how quiet this forum is. We're about to go into the coldest spell of the season, where is everybody?

UKMO and GFS at 120 similar with the "almost channel low", UKMO looks better long term with more amplification of the high

UKMO 

attachicon.gif120 UKMO.gif

GFS

attachicon.gif120 GFS.png

GFS goes onto produce a shortwave feature running down the Eastern side of the country

attachicon.gifShortwave.png

attachicon.gifgfsnh-2-144.png

Possibly banned (or driven away) from all the squabbling! :D Or can't take any more near misses and wanted to wait until T24 to be sure!!!  :rofl: 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

well the UKMO, GFS and GEM all showing a great start to the 12z runs. GFS and UKMO both show the shortwave moving south eastwards monday cleanly. GEM develops it more and it stays further north, close to southern britain, very unlikely outcome though i think, better chance is from the possible snow moving south through tuesday. Very cold UKMO 144 chart as winds start to swing more to the North East. GFS different and then moves the high eastwards over us before moving to the east and doing its best to prevent the Atlantic. The atlantic doesn't even make it in during low-res though and the trough disrupts, but don't think the chart will look like that come then anyway. It could be a long cold spell, heres hoping.

Edited by bradythemole
  • Like 3

Posted

Someone complained that there were only tentative hints from the Ops of pressure over Scandi.. well.. GFS 12z heard you, and raised you this

post-7073-0-26351500-1422465035_thumb.pn

(Way, way out. Posting for fun)

• Like 2