Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

I think we all need to learn a lesson , Just be carefull of the every day run from the models . follow the trends and you will be happy... :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

The trend is for high pressure to centred over the British Isles in 10 days. Its where it locates after that is the intrigue, the UKMO seems to think a more westerly flow will take over again and others ( my source have a fairly high probability of Arctic Continental flow as opposed to Atlantic .

C

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Another trend run. Northerlies followed by a fat high.

Rtavn3483.gif

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

Kind of  but kind of not. My point all along has been that this risks being a 2-3 day wonder. The pressure out west from a powerful, non amplified and non bifurcated jet suggests to me from past experience considerable likelihood that the whole event will be shunted east nearer the time and we may then have a toppler. That's what the ensemble scatter seems at least to consider possible. Hopefully not and this digs in, and we see some proper upstream blocking in evidence.

Well the 12Z ENS that you posted rather contradicts a 2-3 day wonder as they clearly show at least a week of cold weather!? That surely can't happen from 'a toppler', or can it? If so - that would be one of the longest topplers i've ever seen that's for sure.

Anyway, all will be revealed over the next few days. 

Let's hope the 18Z has been on an all-dayer and goes on to show a 1963 freeze.

Edited by SE Blizzards
  • Like 2

Posted

Just a note on the ECM mean at T240 - that's the most organised PV I've seen all winter and it is centred around... Greenland. I know the mean is sometimes wrong but this one looks a strong bet.

I'm guessing then that longer term hopes for cold weather are based on High Pressure ridging to the NE ... because I can't see that PV shifting too quickly from there, if the mean is anywhere near right.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Some great charts for cold lovers this evening, particularly after ECM 12Hz run.

Are there any sources of EURO4 which has higher resolution dewpoints.

Not that I know of unfortunately.

Will the temperature plummet suddenly once the front clears or slowly over the six hour period?

Most of England should find the temperature drops by several degrees Celsius over a couple of hours. So if you are bathing in 8/9C in the South at mid day you could be in 4 or 5C by 2PM for example so a noticeable drop if you popped indoors just before the cold front passes through and then back out once it has passed, especially when we add in the wind chill.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

We have had a nice upturn in fortunes since the 0z runs and I hope it continues tomorrow, the longer the cold lasts the better! Here are a few promising GEFS 12z perturbations for next week.

post-4783-0-84264900-1422307787_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-70302900-1422307796_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Im having doubts as to whether the PV at 240hrs is being well over exaggerated. The models seemed to over do the Atlantic and PV after the last cold snap, and now look whats happened. 

With the Stratosphere over the Canadian Arctic being substantially warmer than the Siberian side, I expect more blocking to occur as we move further on into February. The earlier GFS may just have been a teaser of what could possibly happen...

• Like 4

Posted

The 18z is less amplified upstream at day 5/6 ( but strangely pretty well recovers itself within 12 hours ..... Interesting)

More clues re the envelope for next week

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 3

Posted

Frustrating that despite the warming going on the Canadian side of the pole , as alluded in the strat forum , it doesn't deliever a knock out blow to allow the Pesky AH ridge northwards and give a true HLB , still the week ahead is looking cold with snow for some

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

This run showing the colder air more established over the UK by Saturday.

• Like 2

Posted

I must admit - there's been an improvement for cold

The improvements are based around a seperate blocking HP cell forming around SW Iceland

Will be monitoring this closely over the coming runs

Wow :)

Edited by Biggin
  • Like 2

Posted

Very good agreement now between the ECM/UKMO and GFS at T120hrs with the overall pattern. It's taken some time after the initial Euro troughing differences.

The UKMO seems to have done quite well on that front, the GFS until today has modelled that poorly.

The UKMO still has the troughing further East than the ECM/GFS so mild sectors will be less of an issue and your in the Northerly flow quicker as a result. The questions still remains of how far eastwards the troughing gets,how much amplification in the Atlantic and how will that nuisence low pressure system/shortwave play out, the general trend has been set for a few days now, its kind of down to the detail and this will decide how long this cold shot could last for and how much snowfall there could be.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Could be a split vortex in fi , could be very interesting keep watching over Greenland , if we can pull that that vortex northwest we could be in a prime location for some deep cold .post-9095-0-63976700-1422311419_thumb.jp

Edit: yuk or maybe not ! But to be expected I suppose the mods will always flatten out the pattern in fi .

Some good upgrades today as the days worn on . Be nice to get some cold and snow to low ground for the first time widely for a long old time .

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 7

Posted

The GFS 18hrs run was somewhat nervewracking as the shortwave ahead of the ne USA low took quite a while to separate and clear se'wards,the overall trend is similar though.

I think if you get an earlier separation then an extension to the cold looks a decent bet.

• Like 3

Very much a case of you take money and your choice, for example on the GFS a beaut of a NNW flow over the UK for Sunday morning, however on the negative side its comprises the longevity of the run later on (A little).

post-213-0-82907000-1422311748_thumb.jpg

GFS seems a bit cleaner than earlier runs.

So in that sense not an upgrade or a downgrade but a variation on a theme.

Edited by J10

Well it looks like the upgrades continue on 18z GFS with the Nly this weekend into beginning of next week, certainly with regards to the depth of cold based on a lowering of T850s.

What's nice to see both from ECM and GFS this evening is keeping the amplified ridge to the west for longer and, also, perhaps more crucially, the secondary lows following the jet dive south to the west of the UK rather than SE over the UK ... so without those pesky warm sectors!

I suppose the only negative maybe the 'wishbone' effect of a northerly, whereby coastal areas hog all the wintry showers while it stays dry, sunny and cold inland, unless we get some trough or frontal activity pushing south - of which I'm sure there will be.

I think we are due a good Northerly they have been in scarce supply this decade although Dec 10 was tasty. ,

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Dewpointwatch update (number of GFS frames above freezing for South Midlands area between Wednesday 3pm and Sunday 9pm:

25/1/06z - 10

25/1/12z - 1

25/1/18z - 2

26/1/00z - 7

26/1/06z - 12

26/1/12z - 9

26/1/18z - 4

Have come full circle with the 18z producing the most favourable output of the day. Friday 'danger period' now focussed around the middle of the day. Saturday reduced to a small window.

• Like 5