Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Although it was nice to look at the GFS 06z op was a significant cold outlier after 3rd Feb

Expect changes on the 12z

An outlier 10 Days out, it's hardly lightly to get across the board support at that range ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

A week of northerlies followed by a big, fat high if the 6z is to be believed.

Rtavn3363.gif

• Like 1

Posted

The GEFS 06Z is IMHO much better than the 00Z suite. Yes the PV is likely to intensify to our NW but that of itself doesn't preclude very cold weather in the UK. It really depends exactly where it sets up.

Re the Opp being an outlier, just need to remember that we are looking at the new improved opp which is high res out to 240. So we are comparing the new opp with the old GFS ensembles (IDO said they update in Q3). Also, I think the opp does actually have some support anyway.

Tbh,I'd bank the opp run given the chance. plenty of snow across most of the country on that one! Too far out to be taking seriously though.

Edited by Jason M

Posted

A week of northerlies followed by a big, fat high if the 6z is to be believed.

Rtavn3363.gif

Which would be followed a few days later by this http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=384&mode=0

Believe me, people wouldn't be arguing about marginality if that came to pass. Of course its all just speculation anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Which would be followed a few days later by this http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=384&mode=0

Believe me, people wouldn't be arguing about marginality if that came to pass. Of course its all just speculation anyway.

This is what we need to see for prolonged nationwide snow & cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

So was the Control.........

You were replying to:

Jonathan Evans

Yes a warm outlier and i suggest the OP was not that significant a cold outlier.I do expect changes on the 12zs......there always is.....it may get even colder :wink:

MT8_Manchester_ens.png

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 2

Posted

Are any of the models showing the front crossing the UK on Friday as snow?  I know the GFS is showing a warm secter but was wondering if others maybe were showing colder air??  Also, are there likelt to be troughs in amoungst the Northerly flow over the weekend????

• Like 1

Posted

You were replying to:

Jonathan Evans

Yes a warm outlier and i suggest the OP was not that significant a cold outlier.I do expect changes on the 12zs......there always is.....it may get even colder :wink:

MT8_Manchester_ens.png

Yeah I would agree with that......

just a point as any one noticed the 2m Temps on the GFS Operational being a  few degrees warmer than all the Ensembles? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

I wonder if the Control and quite a few of the GEFS have picked up on more amplification to our west around the 156z period

gens-0-1-156.png

Quite a few peturbs are toying with the idea which would sustain our "toppler" for a good while as Chio said.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=156

EDIT:

As Carinthian has muted maybe a pressure rise to our West can trap the trough and allow it to feed of the the Siberian vortex lobe which is progged

gfsnh-0-186.png?6

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Are any of the models showing the front crossing the UK on Friday as snow?  I know the GFS is showing a warm secter but was wondering if others maybe were showing colder air??  Also, are there likelt to be troughs in amoungst the Northerly flow over the weekend????

The ECM is showing that front to be of a wintry nature for the eastern half of the country, but slightly warmer air to the west keeps it as rain.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Before this evenings runs come out, a quick appraisal of where we are.

Wednesday evening/Thursday look the most likely periods to give meaningful snowfall with the North and West most favoured.

Thereafter cold with wintry showers, more especially in the North and East with this extending into next week.

All the output is solidly behind a warm up and return to mobile Westerly type around Feb 3rd/4th.

A small cluster of ECM members hold onto the cold a day or two longer but there is pretty much zero support for any blocking to form and hold back the Atlantic at this point.

So it is down to seeing what we can get out of this Northerly type over the next 6/7 days and hoping for some big change in FI to support a deeper cold once we are into Feb proper. 

I think the likelihood is we will be returning to a fairly stormy zonal phase as we head toward 2nd week of Feb but the milder flatter zonal regime may not be too long lived just as the last spell wasn't. I wouldn't be surprised to see another cold spell, deep Euro trough/Atlantic ridge, take shape as we head toward mid Feb.

It would be great to see a nice swing toward sustained blocking on the back of this spell but it looks quite unlikely at the moment.

If only GFS ppn charts were accurate.

gfs-2-48.png?12

That chart just 48h out.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5

Posted

I know they aren't accurate, however there seems to be much more precip/snow showing on the GFS run upto T84...and on a wider scale.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I know they aren't accurate, however there seems to be much more precip/snow showing on the GFS run upto T84...and on a wider scale.

The GFS sends a shortwave south east through the UK during Thursday afternoon

gfs-0-78.png?12

Note the kink around the Scottish border area, that will pep up the showers an organised them potentially into a band which swings south/south east. It's the things like that we will need to look out for during the coming few days.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 8

Posted

The GFS sends a shortwave south east through the UK during Thursday afternoon

gfs-0-78.png?12

Note the kink around the Scottish border area, that will pep up the showers an organised them potentially into a band which swings south/south east. It's the things like that we will need to look out for during the coming few days.

If this is true then maybe the METO warnings will widen, and maybe extend into Friday...People may not see lieing snow everywhere but definately looks like most will have a chance of seeing some fall..

Lots more precip showing up on Saturday too....people saying it will be dry apart from the coastal regions prone may be wrong....

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Both GFS and UKMO already look more amplified upstream early in the runs, will it be enough to prolong the cold?

gfsnh-0-120.png?12UN96-21.GIF?26-17

Overall I think for initial cold spell today has gone the right way, especially the gFS output which has moved things back East and stopped over-complicating the trough circulation so limiting warm sectors

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

gfs-0-132.png?12

Slightly higher pressure off SE of Greenland.....more of the same as 06z to follow?  Who knows but another t120+ chart that I like....this could be a cobra run

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Whatever the evolution at the moment, the output for next Monday keeps cropping up potential significant snow events

GFS

gfs-0-168.png?12

the western side of the UK sees a spell of snow moving south, east looks drier on this run (though with snow showers near coastal districts)

UKMO for day 6

UW144-21.GIF?26-17

Shallow low passing over the Atlantic ridge. I suspect the next day would show interest.

The ECM showed a deep depression pushing south east next Monday into Tuesday too from this morning. Something to watch. The GFS is showing some very cold air arriving next week (-10C isotherm pushing into Scotland by day 7)

All in all the next week offers plenty of fun and games I think.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

gfs-0-174.png?12

gfs-0-180.png?12

That LP to SW tip of Greenland from t174 to t180 has moved 'vertically' N and no Eastward progression...looking good.  Could be a lot of snow for West UK, Ireland from that feature running down, plenty of -8 uppers mixed in.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 7

Posted

Formidable Atlantic block on the UKMO

UN144-21.GIF?26-17

Interesting UKMO, that shortwave south of Greenland is now crucial as to where it would go at T168hrs, to extend the cold that needs to head se with the upstream low amplifying sufficiently to allow some ridging to head north. The GFS has the same shortwave but further east.

• Like 4