Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I wonder what I F will come to the table with next time we hear from him?   Bet its very interesting 

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted

as the ecm mean dribbles out, i notice that at day 5, the dam of the low over ne scotland is 498 !!!  now i know we have to take slp into account to derive the actual thickness but when was the last time a system with such a low raw dam was over the uk?

Yes, Nick - quite a difference in thickness between ECM and GFS at the 120 mark. Am I reading that ECM chart correctly - the whole of the UK is sub 510?

ecm0125_nat_gsm025_4panel2_2015012412_12

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

The probable cold spell coming up has a much greater margin for error than the last one,thanks to a "spoke" of the polar vortex setting up shop over Scandinavia.

attachicon.gifECH1-168.gif

Compare this to last weeks cold spell which had a very narrow margin of error.

attachicon.gifECH1-0.gif

Excellent post and spot

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

ECM....garden path...no blocking...moderated uppers closer to the time...chance of slipping east at last minute....Welcome to Winter 14/15 on NW. 

Charts look quite exciting tonight, but until they come anywhere close to T72 and show signs of holding true or improving/upgrading at that range, then they are just a computerised solution that is starting to come together and bring a vauge level of consistency. That's the way it shall be until T72 and that's the way ALL should approach the charts, mild, cold, snowy, windy, stormy, wet..etc. 

Let's hope we are onto something, but at the moment - no expectations, no dissapointment.

Did you see the ukmo at 144 and ecm at 144 and gfs at 144 they all look rather tasty ecm and ukmo the best of the 3 but be interesting to see what the jma is looking like.

But the shift East would be just our luck but then there's a ridge into Russia and eastern Scandinavia preventing the low to go to Far East.

I'd be inclined to think of anything we could see a shift west seems to be as common as shifts East

Posted

BA what do you make of the spread to the nw at T240hrs. The 850's spreads look to me to confirm that as high pressure.

it does look that way nick. the extended eps delay the split breakdown yet another 24 hours from yesterdays run. if the states stay amplified for longer, we may get a cut off feature into the greenland locale. the suite does flatten the atlantic as the usa trough lifts out towards baffin and meets the siberian chunk headed that way. interestingly, if you have faith in the run, it ends with another build of mid atlantic heights.

just watched joe B's staurday summary (i think its free to watch on a sunday on weatherbell). might be worth a watch. his thoughts for weeks 3 and 4 are, i think, in line with the ec 32 which builds anomolous heights over the top of the pole and generates a -AO with a general polar HLB.  any breakdown of the cold might be shorter than the one we see sun through wed this week.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

So the Models/Charst are showing another severe cold spell coming...as the last 2 went from perfect to pitiful...for most of us..a few days beforehand, i'll wait until they arive before i am convinced this time...

It starts in 4 days, and the others before were nothing like as promising as this one. This one will deliver, unlike the others, I haven't seen such emphatic support for a prolonged wintry spell for a good few years, the south should do much better this time.

• Like 4

Posted

Yes, Nick - quite a difference in thickness between ECM and GFS at the 120 mark. Am I reading that ECM chart correctly - the whole of the UK is sub 510?

sorry nouska - they look similar to me. actual thicknesses 522-528 dam.  raw is down to 498 ne scotland though slp at 975 mb up there.

Posted

sorry nouska - they look similar to me. actual thicknesses 522-528 dam.  raw is down to 498 ne scotland though slp at 975 mb up there.

What is the 516 line that is down into France?

ULKNHbY.png?1

• Like 2

Posted

The BBC long range coming on in a minute should give us a good idea as to what the METO think will happen next week, obviously Thurs/Fri still a little way off though so subject to change. I'd be surprised if Scotland and the North of England are not shown as close to Zero maximums by the weekend.

Posted

What is the 516 line that is down into France?

thats the raw dam nouska. to find the actual thickness, you need to add the (SLP * 0.88) to the raw and for slp above 1000 mb, add it. 

Posted

thats the raw dam nouska. to find the actual thickness, you need to add the (SLP * 0.88) to the raw and for slp above 1000 mb, add it. 

Thanks, I understand that but the chart description says that it is the 1000 - 500 thickness as well as the colours for 500 heights. I'm not any more clued up than the person asking the question so clarification is helpful.

Edited by Gael_Force

Posted

The BBC long range coming on in a minute should give us a good idea as to what the METO think will happen next week, obviously Thurs/Fri still a little way off though so subject to change. I'd be surprised if Scotland and the North of England are not shown as close to Zero maximums by the weekend.

Never elaborated on much past Thurs, good idea I guess...around 5-6c with a decent windchill by then though, blizzards in Scottish hills.

Posted

Thanks, I understand that but the chart description says that it is the 1000 - 500 thickness as well as the colours for 500 heights. I'm not any more clued up than the person asking the question so clarification is helpful.

thankfully, we dont live at 500mb gael.  thickness up there will be very low but you need to use the slp to calc the surface thickness

Posted

I've finally found the right thickness charts where the calculation is done for the dummy. :oops:

http://brunnur.vedur.is/kort/ecm0125/2015/01/24/12/ecm0125_nat_msl_thk500_thk500-thk12h_uv700_2015012412_120.png

522 on  the coast.

• Like 3

So the Models/Charst are showing another severe cold spell coming...as the last 2 went from perfect to pitiful...for most of us..a few days beforehand, i'll wait until they arive before i am convinced this time...

In North America yes, here no, no wonder they let you down when you have such high expectations.

Models show modified Arctic Maritime Northerlies, max temps for most of england will be 3C to 6C and 0C to -2C mins maybe lower if winds die down.

• Like 2

Posted

Never elaborated on much past Thurs, good idea I guess...around 5-6c with a decent windchill by then though, blizzards in Scottish hills.

He did mention gale force winds though, even 5c and those winds give wind chills of -4c ish, that's day time and by Thursday. by the weekend they could be much lower..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Bit of a kick in the teeth really whilst we are bathed in the heady temps of -4 850's the Yanks in the north east have -24 850's to contend with http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015012418/gfsnh-1-150.png?18!! I for one am not getting my hopes up about this upcoming cold spell. Lots of cold rain i suspect away from the Scottish mountains. 

Edited by Continental Climate
  • Like 1