Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Why not post something which contributes to the thread?

My post was based on what the model was showing. Posting about the models in the model thread? Whatever next :-)

Please do try harder!

Look , please stop the snipping , Its gonna get cold , but how cold, how much snow, windchill, sleet ,hail ,freezing rain no one knows. get the cold in first and then lets make a thread of how much snow Is in your backyard :rofl:  :wallbash:  :closedeyes:

• Like 5

Posted

just to note that the dp"s on that ecm op were sub zero from T102 to the end apart from a warm sector around day 9 when the wave drops down the east coast. the warm sector brief but at day 9 not worth analysis. the point being that for most of the uk, whatever falls from the sky once the CF has gone through mid week will likely be white. the question then becomes how the system post day 8 approaches to try and force a breakdown (which it wont). and the ecm 12z op has reasonable precipitation throughout considering the low dp"s.

now to the ens to see if they continue the extended theme of flattening and pushing the trough east.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 6

Posted

Lol! great post Mucka, as long as people don't start calling me the Simon Cowell of NW!

I'm not expecting any proper Greenland blocking but still a chance of some ridging to the se of that area. I promise to be happier if/when the ECM delivers that high in my posted image.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Lol! great post Mucka, as long as people don't start calling me the Simon Cowell of NW!

I'm not expecting any proper Greenland blocking but still a chance of some ridging to the se of that area. I promise to be happier if/when the ECM delivers that high in my posted image.

So long as you don't wear pants up to your nipples there will no chance of confusion.  :laugh:

Yeah fingers crossed for further improvements on the depth and longevity of cold however we get there.  :good:

• Like 2

Posted

as the ecm mean dribbles out, i notice that at day 5, the dam of the low over ne scotland is 498 !!!  now i know we have to take slp into account to derive the actual thickness but when was the last time a system with such a low raw dam was over the uk?

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 5

Posted

mean 850s from EC are -5 to -7 from Thursday to Tuesday across the country, rather nice and reinforces the minimum 4-5 day view.

Very little real spread either so good solid support

• Like 3

Posted

as the ecm mean dribbles out, i notice that at day 5, the dam of the low over ne scotland is 498 !!!  now i know we have to take slp into account to derive the actual thickness but when was the last time a system with such a low raw dam was over the uk?

BA what do you make of the spread to the nw at T240hrs. The 850's spreads look to me to confirm that as high pressure.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Well there is only so many words you can describe cold for the Uk

post-6830-0-59462200-1422132135_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-27332300-1422132173_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Well there is only so many words you can describe cold for the Uk post-6830-0-27332300-1422132173_thumb.pn

'marginal' ;)

Edited by stratty
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

ECM....garden path...no blocking...moderated uppers closer to the time...chance of slipping east at last minute....Welcome to Winter 14/15 on NW. 

Charts look quite exciting tonight, but until they come anywhere close to T72 and show signs of holding true or improving/upgrading at that range, then they are just a computerised solution that is starting to come together and bring a vauge level of consistency. That's the way it shall be until T72 and that's the way ALL should approach the charts, mild, cold, snowy, windy, stormy, wet..etc. 

Let's hope we are onto something, but at the moment - no expectations, no dissapointment.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry the better

Please excuse my ignorance but the last cold spell (or day) got slowly shunted west with every run will this do the same and move east and end in zero again ?

Posted

I'm pretty sure that the ECM has a cluster of solutions that take the low near Greenland on day 9 south further west, this would be in relation to a more amplified upstream pattern.

The 850 spread at day ten develops strongly over Newfoundland, this is in relation to a much milder flow ahead of a more amplified low, the slp spread develops to the nw indicating higher pressure there.

SLP

post-1206-0-11386100-1422132760_thumb.gi

850's

post-1206-0-43652100-1422132732_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

15012818_2_2412.gif

Even I am struggling to find fault with that particular output, except to enquire whether the precipitation chart is based on GFS data, which is notorious for exaggeration?

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms

Please excuse my ignorance but the last cold spell (or day) got slowly shunted west with every run will this do the same and move east and end in zero again ?

I do worry that the close to perfection appearance of the current set of charts at certain timeframes means that we may have 'peaked' and subsequent outputs (there are 16 GFS and 8 UKMO/ECM outputs to get through before Wednesday evening) will be deficient for widespread snowfall in at least one of the key requirements.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 1

Posted

Feel free to move mods but thought I'd post this in a busy thread. Britain's most extreme weather is on More 4 at 9.10pm tonight, it's all about the winter of 62/63. Was first aired last year I think. Just thought people in here would be interested if they didn't already know.

Can you not post a chart to illustrate your comment?  :D

• Like 9