Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Day 6 charts

ECM

ECH1-144.GIF?24-12

Low pressure centred over Scotland with a strong and chilly north west wind

UKMO

UN144-21.GIF?24-05

Low pressure over Scandinavia, a bitter northerly wind setting up already.

GFS

gfsnh-0-144.png?0

Between the Euros with low pressure in the northern north sea, a cold north westerly wind, though some significant modification of the 850s is observed.

GEM

gemnh-0-144.png?00

Low pressure over Scandinavia, similar to the UKMO but the trough is not as deep, the cold northerly does arrive though.

The GFS and ECM show the risk of the trough being too rounded and close to the UK, resulting in a cool rather than cold pattern. Looks quite unsettled across the board with showers or longer spells of rain spinning round the low. These could turn to snow if the conditions are right though. The UKMO is by far the best output this morning in terms of setting up an Arctic plunge in the semi-reliable time-frame.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

The UKMO screams Wishbone effect, indeed looking across the board these charts are very cold, BUT they're not really at all good for snow inland or across the South. 

UN144-21.GIF?24-05

With this chart you would get snow running down the East and West coasts and they would fizzle out as they made their way inland it would be a frustrating day to say the least for many as they see their resident snow shields up and heaven for a few lucky others who saw lengthy spells of snow feeding in off the coast

Edited by EML Network
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Upgrades all round, Ecm 0z has cranked up the cold wintry synoptics in terms of longevity too, could be a prolonged arctic spell. As for wishbone effect, I would expect to see organised troughs swinging south with bands of snow showers and maybe even a polar low or two, this is no lame toppler..later next week onwards looks increasingly wintry for all and the snow when it does come will drift due to the strengthening arctic winds. :-)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Just a quick look at the models at breakfast. Excellent UKMO, seems the coldest sourced run. Snowy week to start February looks very likely. Lets hope this theme continues throughout the weekend. Should have a update on Monday from the portal service regarding the extent of a February cold spell and the change to -A0.

Have a good weekend,

C

• Like 6

Posted

Guessing a lot of late risers out there because when I noticed we were still on page 8 here before viewing the model output, I assumed they were going to be a poor set! I think it's safe to say I was pleasantly surprised.

This is looking increasing less and less like a toppler and more like a very interesting cold spell on the horizon. More runs needed as always but looking good.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Here comes the increasingly cold and disturbed spell the met office have already discussed, by midweek it's turning cold and windy across Scotland with snow showers and that cold and very unsettled weather pushes south to the rest of the UK, the Ecm 00z op shows a prolonged wintry spell becoming established which would last well into February with plenty of snow, frosts and ice.

post-4783-0-77194800-1422087439_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-39407600-1422087447_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-16606000-1422087455_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-46085100-1422087462_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-67338700-1422087469_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-83022100-1422087476_thumb.pn

• Like 5

Posted

Just to add that the gefs become progressively pants for cold as they head through week 2.

whilst I don't have huge faith in them to pick up a change into cold, they do seem rather good at picking up the change back to not cold, once they have recognised the cold will indeed come.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

It is nice to see this far out the Atlantic amplification looking nailed by models and all GEFS. In fact this was picked out a while back (dropped for a few runs) so impressive. I know Bluearmy picked out this synoptic last weekend from the ECM ENS. The D6 GEFS mean:

post-14819-0-92797300-1422086142_thumb.p post-14819-0-37904000-1422086844_thumb.p post-14819-0-14563400-1422086816_thumb.p

Still variations on the rotundness of the low digging the Euro trough with the most southern showing a satellite low at the base. The spread highlights this and also the possible spoiler low coming in from the west. These lows have been a pain to model this season and again it is carried on the jet so by D7 the ensembles begin to show varying solutions. Before its arrival we get a few days of cold uppers UK wide but it's introduction around D8 brings in warm sectors and washes out the uppers. Even more spread from there with some flattening the pattern due to the blown up "spoiler" low. Again by D10 the majority have flattened the pattern. There remains a small cluster that keeps the more meridional Atlantic (22%).

So again FI at around D6-7 with many possibilities within the upcoming synoptic pattern change. No point guessing the likely outcome though the GEFS as a guide suggests the most likely solution is a flattening of the pattern as lows fire off the US trough as it recycles the daughter PV over the western US:

post-14819-0-35140200-1422087356_thumb.p

This has been episodic during the current winter, the PV bursting back into life after a short period of calm. So we usually end up with 4-6 days of colder output. The D8 and D13 charts highlight the GEFS current signal for this to be repeated again:

post-14819-0-97832600-1422087577_thumb.p post-14819-0-43604500-1422087578_thumb.p

Normally a reboot of the PV may still allow cold but with any longer term HLBs on the other side of the NH the UK is directly inconvenienced by the restlessness of the PV's journeys. Warnings re the ECM D10 charts and the UKMO D6 charts when both have notoriously led us up the garden path during pattern changes this year, though thats not to say they are wrong this time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Corking ECM this morning with a nice ridge and persistent northerly!! As BA has said details, 850s - dew points etc will need to be watched as we get further runs but a v nice overall pattern. If we can hold the pattern into the more reliable timeframe then corrections West would be very unusual with this kind of set up, so pushing the trough further east is likely, this may allow a colder flow for the uk, and with disturbances running south we may be looking at better snow chances the closer we get!post-4266-0-61642500-1422088180_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

GEFS anomaly. Wish it was a bit darker......

gens-0-5-138.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Guessing a lot of late risers out there because when I noticed we were still on page 8 here before viewing the model output, I assumed they were going to be a poor set! I think it's safe to say I was pleasantly surprised.

This is looking increasing less and less like a toppler and more like a very interesting cold spell on the horizon. More runs needed as always but looking good.

Totally agree, could be our best cold spell of the winter, hopefully worth the wait!
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks like Thurs is when the fun starts up North, when is classed as reliable time frame for this set up? Are Northerlies harder to forecast that other set ups?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ECM ens happy with conditions turning colder from Thursday with a strong north westerly wind developing behind a cold front.

EDM1-120.GIF?24-12

Winds remain north to north westerly out to day 10

EDM1-240.GIF?24-12

Spreads

EEM1-240.GIF?24-12

Decent support for the operational. Especially with the Euro/Scandi trough, uncertainty more to do with the level of upstream amplification but I would certainly say a 5 day+ spell of colder weather is likely, starting from Thursday.

850s turn much colder in week 2 as we finally see a pure Arctic flow develop, unsure about how the preceding days will pan out (850s around the -4C mark). Low heights at the surface and 850 level with a prolonged spell of winds from the north should hopefully mean we can develop bands of showers or even longer periods of precipitation, which could potentially deliver snow to many areas (if it is cold enough). In this set up, whilst the wishbone effect will be present in the showery interludes, I would be surprised if a 5-7 day northerly didn't produce some sort of frontal event and hence something widespread across the UK.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Corking ECM this morning with a nice ridge and persistent northerly!! As BA has said details, 850s - dew points etc will need to be watched as we get further runs but a v nice overall pattern. If we can hold the pattern into the more reliable timeframe then corrections West would be very unusual with this kind of set up, so pushing the trough further east is likely, this may allow a colder flow for the uk, and with disturbances running south we may be looking at better snow chances the closer we get!attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ah I would suggest that chart is showing the elusive Omega Block out in mid Atlantic, oooer OMEGA, OMEGA, OMEGA I say. :yahoo: If these cold charts remain and start venturing into the reliable by next Monday's and Tuesday's outputs, I will then start getting on board with the rest of you, for now I remain cautious however. More appropriately I remain cautious, in part due to my location and the fact that my region has been effected by that pesky Azores High ridging for more weeks than I care to remember and will that feature do as currently progged. All of that said, I would love the weather gods and goddesses to bring on the cold snowy synoptics, slowly slowly catchy monkey.  :cold:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Glad I'm not the only one who page counts!

ECM at 240 is one of my favorite charts of the winter.  There's so much to like, air sourced straight from the arctic, heights shooting up towards greenland, PV in tatters etc.  *IF* this happened to verify, I think there would be a lot of fun and games in the days after!  Anyway, too far out to take too seriously but the charts have my full attention at the moment!

ECH1-240.GIF?24-12

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

apologies if this has been mentioned, not read all the pages.

it appears to me that the key to how severe the possible cold spell might be is whether the azores high ridges north to join with the greenland high. the gfs 00z doesnt make much of it, so atlantic systems break through and keeps us changable, whilst the ukmo and ecm make more of this feature thus locking us in arctic air.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Mean Thicknesses in London 528 by day 6 and then dropping quickly to low 520's through to the end of the run. Those are means and the spread on uppers is not high. Whilst no promise of snowmageddon, I do feel some are very laid back about the possibilities that will likely appear within the overall setup.

Can the dam hold ?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

BA , I think the term once bitten five times shy !!!! Lol.
  • Like 1

Posted

Interesting feature over Scotland at 144 hrs on the 00z ECM with a 963mb LP wrapped up in cold uppers and super-low thicknesses.

post-2839-0-90531500-1422089564_thumb.gi

Not much chance of verifying like that,but would certainly provide some interest if it did!

ECM ensemble mean at day 10 is pretty impressive all round.

post-2839-0-44278300-1422089567_thumb.gi

• Like 4