Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 23rd Jan - 12z onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Into low res territory, but the heights up towards Greenland is something to keep an eye on!

gfsnh-0-264.png?18

Super upper temps at 288 (I know, deepest FI)

gfsnh-1-288.png?18

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Into low res territory, but the heights up towards Greenland is something to keep an eye on!

gfsnh-0-264.png?18

Maybe just maybe the winter will go out with bang!

• Like 2

Posted

Certainly is pleasing to see the medium range upgrade. However for now I remain cautious because the models suggest a very cold, nationwide spell is unlikely to develop until around +240 onwards (2nd/3rd Feb). This is apparent on the 12Z GEFS ensembles.

http://max.nwstatic.co.uk/ensimages/ens.20150123/12/t850Cambridgeshire.png

Still we have time for the intial NW,ly to upgrade and the period after.

• Like 1

Posted

And strangely, the end of low res sees one of the largest vortices of lowest thicknesses I can remember over arctic Canada!

Hey ho, the bigger split by day 10 helped that amplification through most of the remainder of the run.

Posted

Just had a read through the thread and thought that I would pick up on this post - it's easy to say that the posts have 'zilch' chance of achieving but is that really the case?

Firstly, in the last 5 years we have have seen charts like not only materialise but upgrade significantly, so just because the last cold spell may have not lived up to your expectations, doesn't mean that this one won't. (Not that the last cold spell was anything other than modelled pretty well - it was just us who looked at the more severe runs and dreamed).

Then we have a number of background signals that suggest tentatively that this could be a realistic outcome, namely the strat, possible MJO forthcoming signature and favourable GWO pattern. The ensembles are trending towards a significant below average spell as well and for the first time the GFS has a potent -15ºC 850 run:

attachicon.gifMT8_London_ens.png

The period between 29th Jan and 1st Feb is also trending more and more cold with less mild members, so agreement increasing.

I have been confident that we would see a cold spell towards the end of January for some time now - the real question is how severe can it get leading into February - it may peter out - but then again it may not......

Maybe the charts should carry the same disclaimer that financial services have, "past performance is no guarantee of future performance" 

Edited by Trom
  • Like 6

Posted

Mr Murr - I like the GFS answer to your post, say it again, but louder! LOL

Not often I see you this animated Chio! Have you had a few? Lol :)

• Like 5

Posted

post-6981-0-92668100-1422054931_thumb.jp

Thus is london in a mean n or nw airflow. Why all the misery?

Though checking the Rome rainfall for week 2 does promote lower heights to our south and a cold MLB nw Europe as a decent cluster.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted

GEFS rolling out. Out to almost 300 hours now and IMHO the best set of the winter.

Some real cold runs in there. They are not universally cold though, so I'd not be getting too excited yet, but it's nice to see some depth of cold in some of the runs.

For better or worse, I think the moment of truth for this winter is about to arrive :-)

• Like 1

Posted

GEFS rolling out. Out to almost 300 hours now and IMHO the best set of the winter.

Some real cold runs in there. They are not universally cold though, so I'd not be getting too excited yet, but it's nice to see some depth of cold in some of the runs.

For better or worse, I think the moment of truth for this winter is about to arrive :-)

Just looked at them and your spot on some very cold runs appearing.

Looking at the ensembles to +180 and I see a few sub -10C appearing.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/runs/2015012318/graphe3_1000_305_80___.gif

This is something I would like to increase tomorrow because I really don't fancy waiting till +240hrs especially after such a poor winter so far.

• Like 1

Posted

Just looked at them and your spot on some very cold runs appearing.

Looking at the ensembles to +180 and I see a few sub -10C appearing.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/runs/2015012318/graphe3_1000_305_80___.gif

This is something I would like to increase tomorrow because I really don't fancy waiting till +240hrs especially after such a poor winter so far.

Yes, I am with you there. This is now make or break for this Winter. Like I said last night, this is not your normal toppler scenario. Two reasons for this. First, the trough digs south east into northern Germany instead of due east into northern Scandi. This then facilitates the second reason whereby the Azores high cannot easily topple over the UK. Instead, it is forced west/northwest and this has been the trend of the day :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Evening all,

just musing through the ECM anomoly charts and way out at the end of this evenings run i find this

post-18134-0-61747600-1422057319_thumb.p

i was wondering if this would be classed as an `Omega` block.?

Posted

Morning.. Yes! Where has the UK gone on that UKMO 144 chart,those purples look so dramatic and certainly a nice block to our west in my view.

With regard to those purples how can you tell if they are cold or not ? Anyway nice start to the day folks.. ECM rolling.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

ECMWF also looking great this morning for the projected Northerly. The PV is in tatters across the board..

ECH0-240.GIFECH1-240.GIF?24-12ECH1-216.GIF?24-12

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Evening all,

just musing through the ECM anomoly charts and way out at the end of this evenings run i find this

attachicon.gifECH101-240.GIF3.png

i was wondering if this would be classed as an `Omega` block.?

yep wow beautiful chart

ECH101-240.GIF?24-12

• Like 3

Morning

A better ECM today- however we have been here before this winter- almost the exact same synoptics that failed to land-

The model trying to deliver a wave 2 pattern, however with modest heights over greenland there isnt enough blocking to sustain a Northerly, but with the 552 Line making it to Greenland, toppling High pressure towards Scandi might be an option.

Not overly cold on the ECM however an improving picture as at least the higher pressure is driving more CAA-

In terms of Omega block, im afraid not & still unlikely with no blocking over GH.]

S

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 7