Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Unprecedented loss of corals in Great Barrier Reef due to warming

knocker

Posted

KNOXVILLE --The coverage of living corals on Australia's Great Barrier Reef could decline to less than 10 percent if ocean warming continues, according to a new study that explores the short- and long-term consequences of environmental changes to the reef.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-01/nifm-spu012215.php

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

This doesn't surprise me. As an avid scuba diver it's clear to see the degradation of coral even  in areas that are highly protected. I've dived on the same reef with just 5 years in between and the decline was really quite depressing. What once was a vibrant colourful reef full of life was reduced to mainly dead coral with a few patches of vibrant coral with sea life easily cut in half. The dead coral was quite clearly killed by the effects of a warmer sea. It's a very particular damage. Furthermore not just in coral reefs, but I am seeing more typically tropical water animals in colder waters which suggests the colder waters are warming up.

Honestly being so face to face with that kind of change in such a short time is really eye opening and I find it hard to understand how people can think it's not happening.

Posted

If you read it properly it doesn't even say that, although it's a typical masterpiece of spin to give the impression warming has already damaged it.
It mentions other causes of damage noted to date, then goes on about modelled effects of 2C warming. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

If you read it properly it doesn't even say that, although it's a typical masterpiece of spin to give the impression warming has already damaged it.

It mentions other causes of damage noted to date, then goes on about modelled effects of 2C warming.

Perhaps you can give some examples of the "spin", eh? You don't want your post to come across as a politically motivated empty dismissal of anything related to climate change and carbon emissions.

• Like 3