Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think those going round in circles dissecting forecasts from different forecasters (or the same ones at different times) are just going to tie themselves in knots here. You're in the SE of England,

yeah she just text me the same-

Just had a peak at the 18z UKMO (meso) and it shows the centre of the small low moving SE across the Midlands around 3am then across SE England around 6am, sleet/snow showers swirling around this low

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, more snow and even more snow..Oh and I love a good old Thunderstorm

:doh:  all im goona say to some posts over the last few hours 

• Like 2
    Posted

Currently 5c and dew point 0c the band out to the west is edging closer, and seems to be getting a bit more organised, although showing as sleet on the leading edge

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Not sure how accurate the NMM Snow Depth charts are....

By Midday tomorrow...

nmm_uk1-45-36-0.png?29-06

That looks a little excessive to me..

Posted

At 12 it was +7c at Gravesend and +6 at Manston. Thats nowhere near to being cold.

I think the idea is that the temp will drop this afternoon as the band of showers moves in. That's why the showers are showing as sleet on leading edge but increasingly shown as snow behind this 

Posted
  • Location: Mile Oak, 3 miles West of Brighton UK, 130 Meters above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme
  • Location: Mile Oak, 3 miles West of Brighton UK, 130 Meters above sea level

just went outside in nowt but my jeans, TIShirt and jumper and it was actually quite pleasant !!

not even my feet got coldid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

7.1c at work in burgess hill.

Suns out, nice day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

5.8c and DP+1

More in the way of cloud rolling in now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

5C here, the showers lining up over Norfolk now. This seems to be a band where the precipitation can survive the west to east journey. This band will sink south this afternoon. Maybe the showers over Wales might have a bit more gusto too (one hopes)

• Like 2
    Posted

Remember its all about the dewpoint

you have more chance seeing snow in temps of +4 & -1c dewpoint than if it was 1c T & 1c DP out-

As the band arrives the temps will drop- with us seeing a wintry mix before become more of sleet & snow as it moves through.

Overnight there is a band of sleet & snow swinging SE across wales into our area- this could well bring a covering.- track uncertain...

s

• Like 6
    Posted

At 12 it was +7c at Gravesend and +6 at Manston. Thats nowhere near to being cold.

Just average for late January.

Edited by Don
    Posted
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton

you have more chance seeing snow in temps of +4 & -1c dewpoint than if it was 1c T & 1c DP out-

As the band arrives the temps will drop- with us seeing a wintry mix before become more of sleet & snow as it moves through.

Overnight there is a band of sleet & snow swinging SE across wales into our area- this could well bring a covering.- track uncertain...

s

s

Yup, thats true regarding dew points.

It was 5C here in Manchester yesterday, and a dew point of -1C - it was snowing.

Today it's been 2C and -1C dew point and as i'm sure you have seen, Manchester Airport had to close for a time due to pretty much 3-5 hours of heavy snow.

Dew points is key.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, wind, storms

Just been walking the dog along the beach in Worthing, Pleasantly warm in the sunshine.

Current temp: 5.7C  Dew point 3.1C

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Dew points generally 0C or a degree below in the southeast and E Anglia away from the coasts, frustrating waiting for the sleet and snow showers to the west to arrive, but a look at the 1000z surface analysis shows a trough moving ESE which should drag 'em our way by early evening:

post-1052-0-12215100-1422536814_thumb.jp

Look at that low to the NW Scotland, one to keep an eye on is it drops SE tonight, UKMet and ECM take this feature and its sleet and snow mostly west of our area though GFS does bringing it further east into our area overnight, so one to keep an eye on.

Turned a lot cloudier here in London in the last hour with some dark bases to the cumulus, might squeeze out a flurry before the 'main event' later.

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not a fan of heatstroke.

5C here, the showers lining up over Norfolk now. This seems to be a band where the precipitation can survive the west to east journey. This band will sink south this afternoon. Maybe the showers over Wales might have a bit more gusto too (one hopes)

I'm certainly following on NW radar, and it hasn't collapsed yet as the overnight stuff did as it crossed the Wash.

Temperature now 4C with 0C dew point.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheforecaster
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and crisp, Dry and Snowy, Clear blue sky

Yikes, Kenley at 7.9 degrees http://home.btconnect.com/brettoliver1/Kenley_Weather.htm after reaching 9.1

Can that be right ??

Hiya,

Well in Selsdon, and the WS here is reading 7.6C .

Temps have been going through the roof (so to speak) since the cloud rolled over about 11.30 ish

Have to admit, I did go and change the batteries as I didn't believe the readings either ;)

• Like 1
    Posted

Some good info there re DPs.

Posted

Hiya,

Well in Selsdon, and the WS here is reading 7.6C .

Temps have been going through the roof (so to speak) since the cloud rolled over about 11.30 ish

Have to admit, I did go and change the batteries as I didn't believe the readings either ;)

You have a link for the Selsdon WS MrC??  Although I am prob closer to Biggin Hill Airport than Selsdon :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yup, thats true regarding dew points.

It was 5C here in Manchester yesterday, and a dew point of -1C - it was snowing.

Today it's been 2C and -1C dew point and as i'm sure you have seen, Manchester Airport had to close for a time due to pretty much 3-5 hours of heavy snow.

Dew points is key.

Agreed. My Nana used to say "It's too cold for snow" what she meant was the temp was cold, but the dew point wasn't, although she wouldn't have known what a dew point was. She was a country girl and could forecast snow just by sniffing the air.

I remember her saying "Snow's coming" on Christmas Day lunch in 1962. We all know what happened the next day...

Edited by Iceni