Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Well the met office want accumulated snow to effect the region today and tonight.. Nice little are of very heavy ppn moves down south overnight..

Today:

Staying cold and breezy with sunny spells and scattered sleet and snow showers. The heaviest of the showers are expected during the afternoon, with a risk of hail in places. Turning a little drier towards evening. Maximum Temperature 4C.

Tonight:

Wintry showers to start the night, then drier for a time with clear spells. More frequent showers arriving by the end of the night, with accumulations affecting some areas. Minimum Temperature 1C.

• Like 2

Posted

Temp 2.4.oC

DP 1.0oC

Winds WSW

Needs temps to take a dive me thinks

Indeed - it wil be rain yet again with those temps

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: love snow and frosty mornings

Well according to the bbc weather im due to get some snow this afternoon, then tomorrow as well, so fingers crossed  :)

Edited by Jo S

Posted

Indeed - it wil be rain yet again with those temps

With any precip at intensiity it will fall as snow, looking at the graphics quite some white was making its way to the SE. Some might even get Thundersnow. Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Temperature - 2C, dew point -1C

No different from yesterday evening really. That wind really did hold the temperatures up, even with clear skies.

Looks like so far that most of the showers never made it to us. Hopefully this will change.

During the early hours of tomorrow morning, if the models are correct then there will be an area of snow moving south east through the home counties

15013003_2900.gif

Shows up on the FAX chart too

post-17424-0-44613000-1422518858_thumb.p

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

@Essexweather: Interesting midnight run of the high-res @metoffice model. Many parts of the region could awake to snow on Friday morning.

@KnowMeSee Enough to settle and cause a few issues, not major at this stage. Next Tuesday could be a more significant event.

Perhaps something more widespread in terms of snowfall overnight into Friday.

He is a professional metrologist I believe although has no links to MO, he has access to MOGREPS.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted

0.8 here in MK and a nice start to the day.

Expecting the showers on the way to be snowy ones.

post-20787-0-58090600-1422518969_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

This cold spell has promised so much. But looks to be a damp squib after all. Ok, so we've got a chance of some wet snow today and overnight. But then dry, a bit chilly and then next week back to type (ie the Atlantic).

It hasn't really started proper yet and you're already writing it off? We're not back to the Atlantic certainly for early next week either

• Like 2

Posted

Very muted in our forum today… media and met office forecasts are really underwhelming .. seems to be some local light sleet and snow to come but naff all of any significance to come in the next 4 days .. Its grim up North though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Drifting Snow in easterly winds, biting wind chill!

Feeling a little anxious about this cold spell. 

BBC are sooooo vague about weather down in this quadrant of the UK.

They show on their graphics, bands of showers fleeting with the SE through this morning and this evening, but their is no such evidence on the current radar.

Showers are dying over the Welsh mountains and if any make it too the Midlands, well they are decaying very fast. Thus not making it to the SE and were in for a day of glorious winter sunshine with a marked wind chill, and staying relatively dry apart from the odd flurry of sleet or snow, even rain for that matter!

Talking of Rain, tomorrow we will see it more on a more Northerly wind. Well I'd say still a NW'ly, but slacker.

Then the BBC show a distinctly bowed Northerly on Saturday to re-introduce a colder feel once again than that of friday that looks in essence 'Weak'. It's Sunday when a 'Blast' of sorts will be keenly felt across the UK.

My feelings are that this is a North Cold spell, with very much isolated a showery activity further south, apart from the SW, where I think that LOW that is circling the Jet will effect Ireland and the SW with some quite 'Noteworthy' snow.

So all in all, for me, biasly in the SE, I'm yet again annoyed because it's nearly 2 years and counting since I've seen a flake of snow! I'm getting annoyed! 

• Like 1

Posted

I'll repeat what I said on two. The high res WRF precip forecast shows a notable snow event for EA overnight, with some also during the afternoon today. With the Meto text forecast now saying that we'll get some accumulations tonight, they are tentatively acknowledging it's potential. Indeed GFS Op also goes the same way. The question is that surrounding uppers and whether the showers will a) pass this Far East (gefs say yes) and b) whether the 'warmer' uppers are dragged in behind or before the precipitation. If the former than we're quids in for EA and could see a couple of inches, if not then we're likely to see some slushy immeasurable accumulations with rain.

To be clear though, just 24hrs ago on this exact train journey I posted that I was concerned the east had no opportunities for snow - yet now look at my post. Things change quickly and given the marked shift in the output overnight to a much longer term cold spell, people shouldn't really be downbeat!

• Like 1

@Essexweather: Interesting midnight run of the high-res @metoffice model. Many parts of the region could awake to snow on Friday morning.

@KnowMeSee Enough to settle and cause a few issues, not major at this stage. Next Tuesday could be a more significant event.

Perhaps something more widespread in terms of snowfall overnight into Friday.

He is a professional metrologist I believe although has no links to MO, he has access to MOGREPS.

Follow these posts guys.. Not the wannabes trying to show charts they can't read... 

You would have thought there is a blow torch SW showing this morning from the mood in here... Far from it  :rofl:  :rofl:  :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

As for today, the Euro 4 shows showers pushing through the region from lunchtime, these lasting until the early evening. As for tonight, yesterday it did look good for East Anglia but the models are chopping and changing with these wave features and as the chart posted earlier shows, it's more a case of the home counties being at risk at this present time, but this could change. This feature will be appearing on the verified surface charts soon so we can track this during the day and hence give a prediction of who might be in the firing line. The FAX charts actually update every 6 hours I believe for the verified T0 charts.

post-17424-0-90880300-1422519961_thumb.p

Tonight's potential snow is currently south of Iceland and will zip towards the UK.

Hopefully many of us will see some snow over the next 24 hours. We just then need to get through the 24 hour window where the conditions look more marginal before the cold air digs back in on Saturday.

For the record, early next week continues to look interesting.

Edited by Captain shortwave
The chart posted was the 06z chart
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

If it snows,it snows....if it doesn't,it doesn't.

I'm off to the Winchester till this all blows over. :p

• Like 1

Posted

Great to see the likes of ITSY, Daniel actually bother to interpret the charts, look at forecasts and can use radar with some logic and inform others. They really add value to the thread.

Thurs night / Friday morning continues of some interest as per posts from several posters yesterday including myself.

Next Tuesday is another date with some possibility. All enjoyable stuff this hunt for snow compared to some winters.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Well my winderground station has got me down for snow on 4 out of the next five days lol

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

Well I'm a complete novice but love Netweather. Carol Kirkwood gave a lovely forecast this morning. â„⛄

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like we should get some showers this afternoon and this evening, not expecting much in the way of accumulations, but it will be nice to see snow falling from the sky again

• Like 1