Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Yes this looks interesting.

114-779.GIF?27-12

yep.. we need to stay positive cos we could get a few surprises..

Ive just seen the netweather snow risk map in the warning thread, so from wednesday to friday its not looking hopeful. Shame, i would have driven maybe an hour to see lying snow.

Hopefully next week or as mentioned above, sunday, can deliver. :)

Edited by mickeyb44
  • Like 1

Posted

12z gives a good snow event for East Anglia & SE on Sunday as above

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Notice the bulge running down the North Sea/East Coast

Yes this is exactly what we need, the odd N.Sea disturbance in the unstable flow. The showers coming through the Cheshire Gap etc are very unlikely to make it here intact or offer very little in terms of laying snow. So fingers crossed the N.Sea produces...

Edited by Shrimper

Posted

Yes this is exactly what we need, the odd N.Sea disturbance in the unstable flow. The showers coming through the Cheshire Gap etc are very unlikely to make it here intact or offer very little in terms of laying snow. So fingers crossed the N.Sea produces...

Correct I do think we will get some showers from up north as the flow is quite strong, more favoured areas are to the N & W looking back at past runs they've been showing a similar solution, for once those more to the East might get something decent. And it is to no surprise it is ripe for such developments IMHO.

Above chart would get the sledge out quite widely I hope it is onto something. :)

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Why did you leave, Matt?  If I get some, I'll take a photo and post it here so that you can see what you're missing! :D

Work reasons mostly, I got a job in Essex and have lived down here ever since. 

Afternoon runs so far, GFS is pretty similar to earlier output with a snow window from Sunday through to Wednesday with the northerly, potential before then too. UKMO looks great and possibly would prolong the northerly spell.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

Would it just be easier if we , in the SE, took the attitude that, at present, it looks like a no snow event for us. Therefore if any snow does fall it will be a pleasant surprise ( and about time too) and then we have next week to contend with.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Just to make us all feel jealous....

WHITE OUT IN BOSTON.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Would it just be easier if we , in the SE, took the attitude that, at present, it looks like a no snow event for us. Therefore if any snow does fall it will be a pleasant surprise ( and about time too) and then we have next week to contend with.

Not really it would be easier if people did t have knee jerk reactions to each run. There is a chance of some snow showers from tomorrow night however we will get in on the action from Saturday onwards when the real cold northerly arrives with deeply unstable air causing disturbances in the flow. Snow events could pop up at short notice (6-12 hours ) possibly.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

Ive just revisited the thread - why is everyone suicidal- its looking very good, initial flurries tomorrow night then potentially the main event for the weekend-!

S

Because they remain sceptical. You can't blame them after the last two fiascos. Big build up, big build up....damp squib. The big giveaway is the number of posts in other regionals compared to ours..... Edited by snowfish1
  • Like 1

Posted

We don't know, as to far out. But we know it's going to be quite a bit colder as the broader detail is easier to comment on. Risk of snow is there.

Ok, i dont want to annoy anyone but are we looking at the 'possibility' of a decent snow covering this weekend ?

Or just a potential dusting ? :)

Edited by Hammer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Ok, i dont want to annoy anyone but are we looking at the 'possibility' of a decent snow covering this weekend ?

Impossible to say at this range but potential is definitely there
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The bbc forecast 's don't help

Do they ?

The graphics are useless and they change to much

I never pay attention to them - Not too bad when it comes to fronts but anything shower related the graphics are utterly pointless

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

I do find with the BBC that when there is uncertainty with regards to snow say 3-4 days out they are very coy about what they put out. They normally just put out forecast for next day and say just keep tuned for future forecasts lol!!.I think there is the fear factor for being wrong(just need to look at NYC for that today and the Mayor is getting slated) and people going mad at them. That is a shame and just my opinion but something I have noticed in recent years.

Posted

Pleased to see the Euro4 is suggesting snowfall for my location, which the 06Z also suggested.

• Like 2

Posted

No offence to you but it is tedious when this keeps getting repeated. Buckle down, the truth is any showery activity this will be a matter of nowcasting & any disturbances which offer something much more substantial, will be firmed up 6-12hr before the event. All we can do is sit back, in the comfort of our homes. Sunday could be troublesome. And with it being frigid next week, the snow will stick around resulting in very cold minima.

• Like 5

Posted

Looks like Wed night and especially Thursday we will see some snow showers. On the latest weather, there was quite a large blob stretching from say Swindon to London. I know it's only computer graphics, but this has been shown consistently one way or the other since lunch time. I know it's frustrating, but once the cold air is in place tomorrow afternoon, radar watching will be the the thing to do.

Nina Ridge even said that it's still hard to pin down the exact extent of the shower activity Wed night and Thursday. So it could be less or it could be more extensive. Who knows?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

No offence to you but it is tedious when this keeps getting repeated. Buckle down, the truth is any showery activity this will be a matter of nowcasting & any disturbances which offer something much more substantial, will be firmed up 6-12hr before the event. All we can do is sit back, in the comfort of our homes. Sunday could be troublesome. And with it being frigid next week, the snow will stick around resulting in very cold minima.

Exactly! Best thing to do is not really talk about snow potential seriously beyond the scope of the EURO4/NMM etc.. because the lower resolution models (GFS, UKMO, GEM etc..) don't handle precipitation well enough.

FAX Charts will come in handy for trough placements too.

As it currently stands, Thursday will see snow showers in our region (EURO4 supportive of this) but whether a particular area will get snow wont be known until it's quite literally falling out of the sky, as is the nature of showers.

• Like 2

Posted

post-19153-0-75385300-1422382005_thumb.j

Like this from a IMBY perspective :good:

Toys with this from fergie, such narrow 'streamers' can accumulate couple of inches if it goes right. :D

We are using UKV now for the higher-res PPN phase forecasting / accumulating snow likelihoods.

Thursday early hrs/ early AM is particularly interesting, given the continued modelling of a small-scale cold front moving south through W Midlands/Bristol Channel. Theta-W fields show this well. We suspect this could yield more organised prospect of snow showers for some districts of W Country/central-S England early Thurs but await further runs before committing to the notion with deterministic confidence.

• Like 3