Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted

4.6C and a DP -1C once it is dark it will b conducive to snow but it is looking cold & dry, Then again I did not expect that episode earlier on. 850s between -8/-9 it will snow to sea level.

'Doesn't look like a Suffolk clipper to me'

;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Could I just point you all to the many You Tube rain to snow clips. This idea that the ground is too wet for anything to settle is rubbish. Given the right conditions (and sadly we don't have them) snow can easily settle on soaking ground.

Spot on.

It's all about the temp and dews, and of course how heavy the snow is.

Being an extreme example the Dec 1990 snowstorm

started as heavy rain, thus snow fell on saturated ground.

Many places received at least a foot!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

6c dp -1

What do people think about the 'possible' easterly showing up at end of next week ?

Likely to disappear on the next run ?

Hi Mickey, it appears then disappears, then appears again, so nobody is really sure what is going to happen from Wednesday onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

It has support about 30% so it can't be discounted. We'll no more by this evening I think!!

Posted

Re: possible easterly

Probably wise to remember this is a single operational run demonstrating some of the minority ensemble noise from the last 48-72 hours.

That's not to say the models won't swing that way - indeed the operational runs tend to be the first ones to pick up such a correction in pattern (eg - Feb 12. Despite a poor winter overall that year it still produced one of the best snowfalls here for many years, albeit with a different scenario precipitation wise, equal to Feb 09 and better than Dec/Jan 9/10) . The example of feb 12 refers to the continuous correction of the block across the UK at a relatively short timeframe, predicted very accurately by Mr Murr. however with many years of experience on Here I'm sure a number of members will echo that the number of disappointments from chasing easterlies over the years far outweighs the triumphs.

Hopefully we see some of the other 12z ops start jumping on board, but despite resolution upgrades etc on the GFS I would still wait for the euros to start showing something like this consistently before getting too excited.

Still an outlier potential outcome across suites..for now...

SK

• Like 1

Posted

'Doesn't look like a Suffolk clipper to me'

;)

Looking back at previous frames, Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex, Kent had precip generally east of Chelmsford Steve you presented the idea it would be like the Nairobi desert, you was wrong. ;)

I had some light/moderate snow and it lasted for a few hours, did not settle but surprises can happen. MO did not forecast it nor did anyone on here, such is the unpredictability.

Posted
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon

Hi Mickey, it appears then disappears, then appears again, so nobody is really sure what is going to happen from Wednesday onwards.

no one knows about today lol  .met office app pops up, weather warning in force, then half an hour later another saying weather warning has been cancelled ,that's happened 4 times today already for my neck of the woods . head banging stuff :cc_confused:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

You cant argue its not cold in the wind, however temps have just not dropped  low enough here period.

Its the learning curve that the more experienced on here and MO should need to learn from.

Lets face it by now I was expecting temps to be 1/2c even forgetting the snow.

More sun as well, its just pretty poor show basically.

:wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

no one knows about today lol  .met office app pops up, weather warning in force, then half an hour later another saying weather warning has been cancelled ,that's happened 4 times today already for my neck of the woods . head banging stuff :cc_confused:

You need one of these :wallbash:  I have canceled all those apps as they were doing my nut lol

• Like 2

Posted

UK Outlook for Friday 6 Feb 2015 to Sunday 15 Feb 2015:

The cold weather will continue through Friday and Saturday, particularly in the south. There is likely to be some snow showers in the southeast at first, with widespread overnight frosts. There is a risk of more widespread rain and snow over north-western parts from Saturday as conditions are likely to become more influenced by the Atlantic. Temperatures gradually becoming less cold here, although the transition period will have the potential for further snow in places. Elsewhere, conditions will be mainly dry with some sunshine. Through the second week of February, temperatures will remain near or just below average and it will be often dry, particularly in the south. However, it will be generally more unsettled in the northwest and less cold, under the influence of Atlantic air.

Posted

Looking back at previous frames, Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex, Kent had precip generally east of Chelmsford Steve you presented the idea it would be like the Nairobi desert, you was wrong. ;)

I had some light/moderate snow and it lasted for a few hours, did not settle but surprises can happen. MO did not forecast it nor did anyone on here, such is the unpredictability.

Noooo I didnt, I said draw a line down from Hull, anywhere east of that may get some snow showers.....Which is what happened with that train of showers, as you have just described. Have no idea how you can possibly say that was wrong, and just goes to show your twisting and embellishing of the truth.

I actually think you refuse to read others post accurately when they differ from your own wildly optimistic thoughts at times

Have a good day now.

Edited by steveinsussex
  • Like 3

Posted

Noooo I didnt, I said draw a line down from Hull, anywhere east of that may get some snow showers.....Which is what happened with that train of showers, as you have just described. Have no idea how you can possibly say that was wrong, and just goes to show your twisting and embellishing of the truth.

I actually think you refuse to read others post accurately when they differ from your own wildly optimistic thoughts at times

Have a good day now.

I was just playing with you, I try to be a realist you keep saying I'm optimistic yes in moderation, but as I've said I say it how it is using credible models and my knowledge in fact it is quite limited compared to TEITS, SK, Steve and others. I do not hyperbole, never have I said we are going to get a dumping. What says otherwise? Might not snow IMBY but I make the effort, to ensure all in the region are given the latest info. Never have I suggested such wild thoughts, just stressing the potential, and there have been a few times when I was pretty spot on. I'd like to apologise if I've unsettled you. Even though I do not adhere your point. Have a nice day Steve. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Slightly off topic I know , but seeing as the last two winters have poor , I can't believe that it's been 6 years to the day that London/ Surrey etc experienced one of the best snow events in my 42 years , below some Photos of that day

Let's hope Mr SM is onto something with his latest thoughts on the MoD thread

Some more later

post-1887-0-18196800-1422800437_thumb.jp

Edited by southbank
  • Like 4

Posted

I was just playing with you, I try to be a realist you keep saying I'm optimistic yes in moderation, but as I've said I say it how it is using credible models and my knowledge in fact it is quite limited compared to TEITS, SK, Steve and others. I do not hyperbole, never have I said we are going to get a dumping. What says otherwise? Might not snow IMBY but I make the effort, to ensure all in the region are given the latest info. Never have I suggested such wild thoughts, just stressing the potential, and there have been a few times when I was pretty spot on. I'd like to apologise if I've unsettled you. Even though I do not adhere your point. Have a nice day Steve. :)

Good, i was getting wound up :(

Sorry for being sarcastic and antagonistic, i try and keep realistic and see others on here who ask for info getting excited when there really isnt a need but people will always believe those giving good news rather than those being realistic.

Lets see what this afternoons model runs bring

Posted

Slightly off topic but seeing as last two winters have poor I can't believe that's its 6 years to the day that London/ Surrey etc experienced one of best snow events , below some Photos of that day

Let's hope Mr SM is onto something with his latest thoughts on the MoD threadSome more

Ahhh it was extrodinairy here, thick snow, it was like a wall of snow...bliss.

Most snow since 1991. Thames streamers are the dream for me.

The depth was absolutely mental some parts of S London got over 20". Here it was near that. :)

Should have taken a measurement at the time I was just blown away by the sheer volume of snow, it was the year I first discovered Netweather, and it really got me hooked.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Just a couple more if mods allow

Absolutely stunning!!!

Imagine this place if it happened again lol

Edited by john mac
  • Like 1

Posted

Good, i was getting wound up :(

Sorry for being sarcastic and antagonistic, i try and keep realistic and see others on here who ask for info getting excited when there really isnt a need but people will always believe those giving good news rather than those being realistic.

Lets see what this afternoons model runs bring

It is all good you keep me in my place. Let's hope it follows on from morning with HP further N. :friends:

Cold start to Feb, pretty solid with limited scatter, GFS 6z really had a sparkle.

post-19153-0-62616200-1422801776_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

Ahhh it was extrodinairy here, thick snow, it was like a wall of snow...bliss.

Most snow since 1991. Thames streamers are the dream for me.

The depth was absolutely mental some parts of S London got over 20". Here it was near that. :)

Should have taken a measurement at the time I was just blown away by the sheer volume of snow, it was the year I first discovered Netweather, and it really got me hooked.

Lol , bbc snow watch was the first forum I stumbled across and discovered I wasn't the only one with a keen interest in winter weather , Mr Murr was a legend on that forum , that's early 2000 when we were finally coming out of the dross of 1990's winter

Posted

Looking at the radar lots of showers heading to norfolk Suffolk might be something in the showers!,,, yea rain!

Posted

This is wits making me laugh 200 pages of snowed hasn't how cold it could should be matginality then as above the true greatest snowfall. Of my adult life 2010 & 2009 Feb. A lot of enjoyable hyperbole but hey it's good natured

Posted

Lol , bbc snow watch was the first forum I stumbled across and discovered I wasn't the only one with a keen interest in winter weather , Mr Murr was a legend on that forum , that's early 2000 when we were finally coming out of the dross of 1990's winter

I stumbled across Netweather by chance been a lurker for many years. it was diabolical for snow for much of the 90s and the the most of the 2000s were also horrendous, then we got in a run of cold winters... and my interest really grew, you cannot beat a good cold spell. With ice days & powdery snow on the ground.

• Like 1