Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Could I just point you all to the many You Tube rain to snow clips. This idea that the ground is too wet for anything to settle is rubbish. Given the right conditions (and sadly we don't have them) snow can easily settle on soaking ground. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Could I just point you all to the many You Tube rain to snow clips. This idea that the ground is too wet for anything to settle is rubbish. Given the right conditions (and sadly we don't have them) snow can easily settle on soaking ground.

It can and nearly always does in proper snow events, however you do end up wasting a lot of snow in doing so lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I dont like the words"away from the coast"!! Met office popping off every 10mins.

Forgot that one lol!

Ahahaha - Great Use of Words - Just Bolded the Swear Filter Ones for ya!

Toppler should be added to the swear list too. Oh and the term " snow for Scotland"  It is sunny and breezy  here, 7c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

So much moaning in this thread. Some people need to wake up and realise we do not live in the Siberian tundra.

Personally this "cold spell" is a million times better than the dross served up last year. We have some interesting charts to look at and wintriness falling from the sky. Mother nature sometimes needs a little foreplay before she gets going...so calm down and enjoy the ride.

I'm not expecting 1963 again but some snow that settles and doesn't melt within 20 minutes would be a start!

Without an Easterly we are the unlikely to get much of interest to be honest so need to hope that today's GFS 6z is on to something!

If it isn't going to snow properly, then some dry sunny weather would be welcome.

Edited by Long haul to mild
  • Like 2

Posted

Some showers are beginning to pep up a bit further West around Cambridge now. Could affect some parts of South East London/North West Kent perhaps? Whether they're snow or not is a different matter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

So much moaning in this thread. Some people need to wake up and realise we do not live in the Siberian tundra.

Personally this "cold spell" is a million times better than the dross served up last year. We have some interesting charts to look at and wintriness falling from the sky. Mother nature sometimes needs a little foreplay before she gets going...so calm down and enjoy the ride.

I agree with much of your comment and usually try to find positives in most weather situations but can't help being disappointed with this distinct lack of cold in a supposed 'cold spell'. It's already above 6C here, not cold at all for early Feb. I think people are just disappointed that all the hype and predicted snowfall just hasn't happened. But yes, it's better than last year (not really that difficult) and we may see further developments down the line...still a good 5 weeks left to get some proper cold and snow in.

Someone wake me up when this "cold" spell actually starts....

5C (dp -1.8C)

You are of course quite correct in what you say. After all it is only 1st of February and it is only midday therefore you might 

even max out at 6c which you would be hard pressed to call even rather cold even if the wind is a tad nippy.

Talk such as not living in Siberia etc is a tad unfair as we all know given the right synoptics from the north, or east etc it can be 

very much colder than this.

The Met have been using terms such as deep cold etc which does not even gell with their definitions of what is rather cold,

cold, very cold etc and is typical of the way they over hype these type of events when we are having a generally mild winter.

Of course this is much better than anything we saw last winter but it still does not make it a decent cold spell or even close to 

being one.

• Like 1

Posted

You are of course quite correct in what you say. After all it is only 1st of February and it is only midday therefore you might 

even max out at 6c which you would be hard pressed to call even rather cold even if the wind is a tad nippy.

Talk such as not living in Siberia etc is a tad unfair as we all know given the right synoptics from the north, or east etc it can be 

very much colder than this.

The Met have been using terms such as deep cold etc which does not even gell with their definitions of what is rather cold,

cold, very cold etc and is typical of the way they over hype these type of events when we are having a generally mild winter.

Of course this is much better than anything we saw last winter but it still does not make it a decent cold spell or even close to 

being one.

Another thing that gripes me is the weather summary at the start of the forecast. For the previous four days it's been "snow showers". If you were in a hurry and didn't both listening to the rest of the forecast, the average person who is not interested in meteorology and just wants to know what the weather will do for the day will go away thinking we are all going to get snow showers. But when you listen on, and the weather person gets to the nitty gritty of the forecast, it transpires that the "real" snow showers will be in Scotland the rest of the country will have a wintry mix of rain, sleet and snow. Far too generalised.

• Like 1

Posted

If they call 6c very cold and feeling bitter, what will happen when and if we do get a proper Easterly with daytime temperatures of -2c. Will they add another "very" to the "very"?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning
  • Location: Ditchling East Sussex , on the South Downs 12 miles North of Brighton

Drive up Ditchling Beacon this morning early , about an inch of snow also a good covering atop Woodingdean too , all melted except for shady areas now though :-(

What about Norfolk, Steve?  Are you including us with Suffolk (bit of local rivalry there - not dissimilar to calling Lancashire "Yorkshire"!), or have you just forgotten that we exist?! :nonono::girl_devil::angry::whistling::doh:

Your generally in the mix at all angles, but I dont actually recall you doing well in the straight easterlies>> it sort of wipes out kent & north of the wash & misses you.

I must admit I though EA was the midlands..... :)

only joking.

• Like 2

One other point to mention although I think most are aware of this and that is that as we move further into February towards March

lapse rates increase, so where in December or January -10 uppers would usually translate to surface temps of around 0c to +1c by 

the time you get to say the third week of February you would probably be looking at temps of around +3c and increasing further as 

you move into March.

These are of course a rough guide to temps on a sunny day and where as in December or January it does not really matter that 

much but makes a big difference in later on during February and into March.  Of course there are exceptions to the rule especially 

with a deep cold sourced easterly but as I said this is just a rough guide.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

"The wind will make it feel more like" or "Add on the effect of the wind" ........ 

In other words, it's not cold enough for snow but we need to keep this winter forecast interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , Sun and lightning

Drive up Ditchling Beacon this morning early , about an inch of snow also a good covering atop Woodingdean too , all melted except for shady areas now though :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

"The wind will make it feel more like" or "Add on the effect of the wind" ........ 

In other words, it's not cold enough for snow but we need to keep this winter forecast interesting.

It FEELS cold but actually isn't that cold so its mostly just going to be cloudy and rain at times if you're lucky you might see some sleet.

This past week as been weird, I've seen more snow from a westerly than I have from a northerly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Drifting Snow in easterly winds, biting wind chill!

7c here, a toothless cold spell too say the least. Hearing the BBC bang on about 'Bitterly cold' blah blah, it's a wonder why people like 'Piers Corbyn' go on about the BBC & The MO being 'Charlatans'.

Their is no bite to this cold spell at all. It's weak. All the fuss is just beyond ridiculous.

The way this 'Northerly' has been forecasted has been a complete shambles. I won't even bother with a BBC forecast again tbh. Never ever watch ITV, it's complete rubbish and guess work.

On Friday, the beeb forecasted a mainly dry day on saturday lol. It was wet pretty much for half the whole day. Rain, Sleet and Snow across many parts. But the beeb went for a predominantly a dry day. Terrible. Don't even mention the polar low. Useless they are.

I stick to a temp on my barometer and what the radar is showing. Simple.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

That's all well and good, but what about the models!!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

4*c and a DP of 1*c

I would say some sleet later at best but you never know, the wind is helping to dry things out on the ground.

Looks to me for some strange reason the Estuary is helping to fade out some of the showers, not sure why this is? perhaps Steve M can share some light.

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted

4*c and a DP of 1*cI would say some sleet later at best but you never know, the wind is helping to dry things out on the ground.

4.6C and a DP -1C once it is dark it will b conducive to snow but it is looking cold & dry, Then again I did not expect that episode earlier on. 850s between -8/-9 it will snow to sea level.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

7c here, a toothless cold spell too say the least. Hearing the BBC bang on about 'Bitterly cold' blah blah, it's a wonder why people like 'Piers Corbyn' go on about the BBC & The MO being 'Charlatans'.

Their is no bite to this cold spell at all. It's weak. All the fuss is just beyond ridiculous.

The way this 'Northerly' has been forecasted has been a complete shambles. I won't even bother with a BBC forecast again tbh. Never ever watch ITV, it's complete rubbish and guess work.

On Friday, the beeb forecasted a mainly dry day on saturday lol. It was wet pretty much for half the whole day. Rain, Sleet and Snow across many parts. But the beeb went for a predominantly a dry day. Terrible. Don't even mention the polar low. Useless they are.

I stick to a temp on my barometer and what the radar is showing. Simple.

I did see/hear mention of "feeling bitterly cold in the wind", rather than in general and that bit is correct for here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Just cos I'm bored at work

Temp 6.1c

Dp -1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Your generally in the mix at all angles, but I dont actually recall you doing well in the straight easterlies>> it sort of wipes out kent & north of the wash & misses you.

I must admit I though EA was the midlands..... :)

only joking.

Cheers - I think you may be correct WRT straight Easterlies, but I cannot recall specific examples.