Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

The one the others in the thread also watched it seems

Sorry mate he's right it did have snow into London eastwards

Posted

Sorry mate he's right it did have snow into London eastwards

Yes it did, but it had the snow sliding away to the east and he said maybe a CM for some places in the SE

Posted

Didnt get much today after our small amount of snowfall early this morning. However it did give me a chance to do this, first time I've been able to do this for my little boy who turned 4 today :)post-9762-0-30395300-1422743867_thumb.jp

Edited by masked_firefly
  • Like 8

Posted

I think some of us might be pleasantly surprised tomorrow. Hoping for 2-3cm in East Essex. If I pinch all the snow off the neighbours cars I might get a small snowman

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon

according to bbc app Croydon is due snow showers around 3am & hastings is due snow showers around 5am ? I guess its just a case of wait & see ? im actually getting annoyed with myself keep looking at the forecasts for a bit of snow lol ,its beyond ridiculous  :nonono:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

this was the forecast, as is the video on this link.... i guess others can judge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167

Looks on par with the other data (Euro 4), very similar to the chart I pasted an hour ago.

@Greenland1080 - Long way from a beasterly when looking at the pressure pattern. High pressure slap bang over the UK.

Posted

Day 5 from GFS could be a ideal environment for a Thames Streamer ENE wind, with -8C 850s.

post-19153-0-29473400-1422744229_thumb.jpost-19153-0-36725500-1422744245_thumb.jpost-19153-0-05125200-1422744259_thumb.j

NMM 2km 18z is much more on the ball, IMO.

post-19153-0-21383400-1422744747_thumb.j

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted

When it comes to the outlook for the next 12 hrs im not a massive fan of using the models and prefer the Sat/Radar. However it is worth pointing out that the latest GFS 18Z run doesn't show much in the way of snow with the main band of precip hitting Norfolk, Suffolk. Also it is suggesting this could be marginal in these regions.

So please take this on board and try not to expect too much.

GFS as a whole has not been great with their snow forecasts of late, so I would not pay too much attention to the GFS 18Z ppn output

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

I'd usually be with you on the hunt for a flake or two but here in Aviemore I'm in snow heaven. Pretty much snowing all day at varying levels of intensity, and the locals must be amused by my unhinged excitement. First visit to a very snowy place and it's been quite overwhelming. Wishing you all the luck tonight, will be back to grey sleety

London on Monday

• Like 5

Posted

Can't see where any significant ppn is coming from for tonight. The area of ppn in Eastern Scotland isn't even crossing the border into England let alone making it all the way down south.

Posted

Wow, that is a dire forecast!

It is but don't let young Daniel hear u say that.... I kid Daniel!!

It's actually ok overnight for Essex....

The rest of us not so much

Posted

GFS as a whole has not been great with their snow forecasts of late, so I would not pay too much attention to the GFS 18Z ppn output

Not sure I agree. The "Polar low" was modelled very accurately the other day and the associated snowfall was also spot on.

• Like 1

Posted

It is but don't let young Daniel hear u say that.... I kid Daniel!!

It's actually ok overnight for Essex....

The rest of us not so much

I will not even bother. :wink: ... But yes it is looking good for Essex. It is evident the precip is not hugging the East Coast look at the radar.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

I will not even bother. :wink: ... But yes it is looking good for Essex. It is evident the precip is not hugging the East Coast look at the radar.

No you are right it isn't... But it's as it moves down the country it shall slide East

I hope it doesn't mind you

Posted

No you are right it isn't... But it's as it moves down the country it shall slide East

I do not see it myself we'll have to see. It'll go SE - not East.

post-19153-0-77205800-1422745217_thumb.j

Posted

Thinon.

That low will pass down North Sea, rest assured it won't just "die out". Will it give PPN to all, No. Will it die over Scotland. No. Will it all be snow. Not sure, check in about 8 hours. Is steveinsussex correct that PPN misses East totally? Could be right, some models do keep minimal PPN coming across region. METO however suggests Stevenage western extent around 9am ish.

Can't see where any significant ppn is coming from for tonight. The area of ppn in Eastern Scotland isn't even crossing the border into England let alone making it all the way down south.

Edited by Hammer

Posted

I can see why they will slide East, when you look at the showers that are over the Midlands at the moment are moving more to the east that South, but are the showers up north at the moment heading more west than forecast? Meaning by the time they start moving to the east they will hit a lot more areas?

Just a thought

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

This is look good

Temp 2.9c

Dewpoint -4c

• Like 1

Posted

Thinon.

That low will pass down North Sea, rest assured it won't just "die out". Will it give PPN to all, No. Will it die over Scotland. No. Will it all be snow. Not sure, check in about 8 hours.

100% agree with you it is all speculation, we will have to see what happens. This is a evolving situation.

This is fairly good wind veers more northerly!

post-19153-0-24343900-1422746049_thumb.j

Edited by Daniel*