Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

Hello you over here!

I don't know where I belong in this. SW thread keeps talking about SW stuff and i'm not in the SW.

I feel homeless ... *Pulls up a sleeping bag*

Your welcome in here with us.😀⛄

Edited by Siberian Xpress
  • Like 2

Posted

Hello you over here!

I don't know where I belong in this. SW thread keeps talking about SW stuff and i'm not in the SW.

You will have to hop between homes like a hobo

• Like 2

Posted

Well tomorrow has potential for showers roughly 3am-9am and then in afternoon say 1pm thru 5pm, when looking at METO invent.

That got a pretty good track on the activity last night/early morning.

Edited by Hammer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Don't forget Surrey

We too share the pain of snow drought

I was so frustrating last night here in Surrey!

• Like 2

Posted

Most women are

The weather was pretty bad too!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Don't forget Surrey

We too share the pain of snow drought

Indeed, Surrey has got to be one of the hardest places to get snow, sheltered from all directions but can do well in a slider or channel low, not always best spot in an easterly though unless showers penetrate well inland.
  • Like 1

Posted

Hello you over here!

I feel for you, I feel a bit 'on the edge' here in Farnham, it must be worth for you!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Snow & Snow.

Well tomorrow has potential for showers roughly 3am-9am and then in afternoon say 1pm thru 5pm, when looking at METO invent.

Lets hope when they say showers they mean snow and not rain.. â„â„â„

• Like 1

Posted

Like many members in our region I am interested in a more north easterly element than the soggy garbage from the Pest which has afflicted this winter thus. Next week looks promising in that regard. For me there are three key steps to a decent snow event for our region:

1. Get the cold in (not really achieved yet – we have had moderate BBC cold but not the 1s and 2s maxes that we really fancy). 

2. Get the wind direction right. So far we have been at the mercy of nor'westers – which are only of use in very rural spots with elevation, or for small locales that are lucky enough to land on the northern side of any system (Chelmsford being a case in point last night) – just a few miles here in E4 (which is not that subject to urban heat trapping as we are right on the edge of London by the Forest) it was bucketing it down so much with rain that it woke me at 5am!!

3. Get the ppn.

I am now relatively confident of Nos 1 and 2. Let's hope those winds push right in come next week. Have a good weekend folks. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Nice cross model agreement on. NEasterly setting in end of next week. Just need the ECM to agree tonight and I'll be happy. Don't buy into all this talk of the high pressure being too far south, if we can draw the cold air in, even in a fairly slack flow then Kent, Essex and Sussex can get clobbered while the rest of the country stays dry. All a bit too far away yet but this is what we need to see in the far SE and offers the best hope for decent snow IMBY!

**Cough Cough** - don't forget Norfolk and Suffolk - our best wind direction for snow is a North Easterly - we tend to very well in these set-ups (except right on the coast) as the showers still have plenty of poke about them before they head further inland.

Posted

:wallbash:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

**Cough Cough** - don't forget Norfolk and Suffolk - our best wind direction for snow is a North Easterly - we tend to very well in these set-ups (except right on the coast) as the showers still have plenty of poke about them before they head further inland.

Doh! I knew I'd regret not mentioning every county! My point was though with high pressure across much of the country and NE wind confined to the far SE then it is only the far SE that gets the snow, areas further north can be inhibited by the high pressure but I take the point, the whole of the east is at risk to a degree and it's still 6/7 days away yet so bound to look different by then.

Posted

Sure definitely sleety/rain possible but think more western parts of Region covered by this thread might get snow. Dunstable for example.

Lets hope when they say showers they mean snow and not rain.. â„â„â„

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Just noticed that over the past hour heavy showers have developed out of nowhere east of Edinburgh - a trough? I know it's a long way away, but shows instability is there over the North Sea with the fresh push of cold air from the north. 

Posted

I feel for you, I feel a bit 'on the edge' here in Farnham, it must be worth for you!

Yea I really miss SC's own thread tbh. I know it was quieter but even so at least I had a home lol.

Posted

Despite what some might suggest, at the moment a few fleeting showers is the best we can hope for - based on the current output.

I guess we can still hope that Monday's low will track across a more favourable track bring more substantial snow to Southern areas but it is just a hope rather than reality.

This is the feature I was talking about to the SW.... lets all pray

gfs-0-66.png?12

Posted

Doh! I knew I'd regret not mentioning every county! My point was though with high pressure across much of the country and NE wind confined to the far SE then it is only the far SE that gets the snow, areas further north can be inhibited by the high pressure but I take the point, the whole of the east is at risk to a degree and it's still 6/7 days away yet so bound to look different by then.

Haha, I know I know.

If the uppers are cold enough the showers seem to pop up regardless. I remember one event about 6 or 7 years ago, we had a very light easterly flow which built a few very slow moving showers, not particularly heavy but they didn't move far. We got about 4 inches that afternoon and evening.

Posted

East Anglian Region to do well tonight, a couple of centre meters possible by morning.

Yes. Interesting. Actually meteogroup app showing 1cm for London and 2cm for Epping overnight. Could we get a seasonal dusting?

Posted

ITV weather, just think it will be mainly rain and sleet tonight, and into tomorrow morning.

If it's that marginal, I know full well I will be waking up to wet surfaces outside in the morning.

Posted

Well the national BBC forecast and local Anglia forecast both showed sleet/snow over much of Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex tonight. Anglia weather described it as a "system" - presume it must be a trough then (possibly the one forming to the east of Scotland at the moment that I mentioned earlier?)