Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

I personally really am not getting worried about the current 10+ day outlook - I think if you'd have told those in here three days ago., let alone 10 days ago that we'd be having a regional snow event of some description this week, you'd have been in the (rampy) minority). It looks cold well into next week, and I think we will see a few more opportunities for snow before the week is out. :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

COAB! We're on day 1 of what is potentially a week-long cold snap and we're not even into what is traditionally the snowiest month of the year. Let's get some perspective please? Really bad winters are very rare in this country, cold snaps are more usual and that is what we're getting. If you want snowdrifts, white-outs, 14 ice days on the bounce, lake-effect blizzards and the guarantee of snow every winter can I respectfully suggest you try living somewhere other than "Southeast England and East Anglia".

I dread to think how some of you will cope when a real life crisis hits you.

Then when people do move away, we will see the likes of 1987 and 62/63 happen with East Anglia and Southeast being cut off! 

Patience folks, I'm sure you will see some snow by the time February is out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Glorious winter sunshine here now. 2C

Interesting wording for Tuesday, perhaps suggesting that snow showers may become more widespread over the region instead of being restricted the the usual areas in a northerly flow.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

commuting back from London yesterday afternoon was slightly weird.  It is quite usual to not have snow in London itself but to hit the snowline about 30 miles north but yesterday I didn't hit the snow belt until literally 5 miles from Northampton then it went from green to white almost instantly.  People wouldn't believe how weather could change in such a short distance.  We had quite a covering in Northampton and more overnight.  this morning was a bit of a challenge getting into work though.

Posted

Glorious winter sunshine here now. 2C

Interesting wording for Tuesday, perhaps suggesting that snow showers may become more widespread over the region instead of being restricted the the usual areas in a northerly flow.

Yep as the flow veers to more East of North there is the chance of a few surprises making their way inland.

Not too dissimilar to this:

Rrea00120030130.gif

Then as the flow veered NE'ly during the day areas of snow were bought inland across the Eastern side of England:

Rrea00120030131.gif

Result - gridlock on the M11 from unexpected snowfall and about 6 inches of snow.

Expect the unexpected.

SK

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

Then when people do move away, we will see the likes of 1987 and 62/63 happen with East Anglia and Southeast being cut off! 

Patience folks, I'm sure you will see some snow by the time February is out!

COAB! We're on day 1 of what is potentially a week-long cold snap and we're not even into what is traditionally the snowiest month of the year. Let's get some perspective please? Really bad winters are very rare in this country, cold snaps are more usual and that is what we're getting. If you want snowdrifts, white-outs, 14 ice days on the bounce, lake-effect blizzards and the guarantee of snow every winter can I respectfully suggest you try living somewhere other than "Southeast England and East Anglia".

I can understand some folks getting frustrated especially if snow is such a big deal to them.  I think your suggestion of moving somewhere else is a little harsh though.  I would love to live in Canada or the United States but unless you are a millionaire or have a work permit then they won't even look at you, so not as easy as that I'm afraid.  If it was I would move there tomorrow.

• Like 4

Posted

Latest Euro 4 (High Res) suggests flow veering slightly NE during Early hrs of Sun with Sleet / snow showers  pushing well in land (almost to west mds)

Up until then mainly dry for our region i expect

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

Yep as the flow veers to more East of North there is the chance of a few surprises making their way inland.

Not too dissimilar to this:

Rrea00120030130.gif

Then as the flow veered NE'ly during the day areas of snow were bought inland across the Eastern side of England:

Rrea00120030131.gif

Result - gridlock on the M11 from unexpected snowfall and about 6 inches of snow.

Expect the unexpected.

SK

Indeed, I was stuck in that one M25 then  M11. from memory which is not all that reliable now!  I think that was one of the years the EA were criticise for gritting too early in the afternoon after snow showers in the morning which did not come to much we had rain which washed away the salt then it snowed and froze. I remember if I have the right year I was coming back round the M25 from a customer site and when I got on the M11, it was sheet ice and jackknifed lorries to weave in and out of! interesting journey home, happy days!

Edited by EastAnglian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

So what happened to the 5, 6 or even 7C being forecast today by the Beeb? 0.6C here in Mid-Suffolk. Doesn't feel as cold as yesterday though thanks to the wind dropping.

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

after heading out it seems I was a tad wrong with how much snow we had...It was more like 2 inches. WoW. If it doesn't snow any more this winter i'll be just as happy :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

Temperature gone down to 0c from +1c once the skies cleared. DP -1c as of 12:20. No idea where the 6,7 and 8's have gone but good reddens I say!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A light wintry shower here now. A mix of light rain/sleety. Snow level doesn't look that high up. Just the wrong side of marginal at the moment. Still it's only a few scattered showers mixed with sunny spells so not all bad. I might add the showers clipping into NE Norfolk do appear to be falling as snow.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Latest Euro 4 (High Res) suggests flow veering slightly NE during Early hrs of Sun with Sleet / snow showers  pushing well in land (almost to west mds)

Up until then mainly dry for our region i expect

Finally!

To be honest a North West wind is even more dire than a northerly, we were very lucky to see any snow this week

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Finally!

To be honest a North West wind is even more dire than a northerly, we were very lucky to see any snow this week

GFS pops up with this a bit sooner 

post-4523-0-60056500-1422622133_thumb.gi

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

attachicon.gif27-779.GIF

EURO4 and NMM showing some support for it too, though not nearly to the extent of the GFS. Wintry showers moving down the Eastern side of the country and into East Anglia, more of a sleety mix for anywhere that isn't Norfolk though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday
Cold and mainly dry with bright spells for Sunday and Monday, along with widespread frost. Risk of rain and sleet for a time Tuesday, but some sunny spells also likely.

:wallbash:

• Like 1

Posted

Most people are simply looking for a inch or two of snow before springtime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Or a good 8inches;-)

Most people are simply looking for a inch or two of snow before springtime

• Like 2

Posted

attachicon.gif27-779.GIF

Interesting chart given the very short time frame – as others have said the key for our region is to remove the pesky westerly element from the wind (to be fair that is the key for many English regions – save the likes of the Peak District with elevation that do very well from Nor'westers). I'm intrigued by the potential for the breeze to spin round to east of north next week too – which can give proper easterly powder snow at which our region excels when the conditions are right! 

In a similar vein I was reading a fascinating extract from an oldish book called the Climate Regions of England (or some such) the other day. It was saying the SE corner is a quasi-continental climate (hence the low ppn which has frustrated us at times this winter) and can actually be the COLDEST English region in many set ups, due to being exposed to easterlies and sheltered from milder westerly flows. Of course, many members know that but I think we do well to remind ourselves when things are not going our way that this region is very much capable of sound winter, as well as summer, conditions at times. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Well 'slushgate' is almost over in Burnham when I left (where we had just over 1cm) - drove to Maldon later around 12 noon and absolutely nothing, either they had no snow or it has melted very quickly.

Good give me a decent easterly over this any day!! - temps now: 2.8C and rising.

Posted

:wallbash:

:aggressive:  :aggressive:  :aggressive: One of my most loathed MO phrases is "with bands of rain, sleet and snow". This is even worse!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, wind, storms

Clear blue sky, temp 6.1C DP 2.1C

Feeling fresh out. :cold:

Edited by Sandman