Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Interesting lunchtime national forecast on the BBC website, tomorrow there seems to be some quite big clumps of snow moving ESE towards our region, even better that the temperature predictions are slowly edging down too now. Just 2-4C now.

Completely unreliable but I hope that it might be correct 

Yeah people commenting on the GFS again, 850s turn milder on average from the 4th, which is near enough the predicted time that the Atlantic ridge was supposed to build into the UK. The 2m temperatures actually stay cold for a couple of extra days so it is more a case of cold and potentially snowy to next Wednesday before a couple of settled and cold days and then possibly a breakdown. But at that far out, it could all change.

TETIS i think thats the dudes name.. Picked it up I quoted the post a few posts back :) 

Looking good LOVE this set up .. Unexpected stuff just turns up out of no where!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Last from me for a while (errands to do).

It will snow tomorrow in this region. Mainly as I start my part time job tomorrow delivering pizzas. The snow will obviously come to cause chaos and carnage  :rofl:

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

New Weather Warning out from the MO for Sunday for coastal parts of Norfolk and Suffolk :)

They mention the possibility of other disturbances possible that are difficult to forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

DP and Temp have almost halved in an hour and the wind has picked up too.

Interesting times ahead clouds have cleared and the sun is shining! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

just had hail shower in central London.  sky turned very dark just now.  looks like the cold front is pushing through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

Crazy weather right now in bexhill hail, very gusty winds staying in the car till it clears through!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Quite an exciting start to this cold spell. I was driving up the A140 as the squall line moved south over Suffolk. I could see the front on the horizon and then as I came over the brow of the hill I could see a wall of rain blowing across the road. The wind was very strong for a short while (causing a branch to fall on my roof, luckily no damage) and the temperature dropped for 10C to 4.5C in the space of about 15 minutes. A lively start to this cold spell :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

It's a bit mad, the latest GFS run shows us under high risk for snow from Thurs morn through but BBC and MetO still not close to giving us it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

It's a bit mad, the latest GFS run shows us under high risk for snow from Thurs morn through but BBC and MetO still not close to giving us it.

EURO4 not having it either, I suspect UKV/MOGREPS aren't either hence the drier forecasts currently 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Warm summers Cold Frosty winters

Temps here at 11.30 am 8.9c and an hour later down to 3.9c  recovered slightly to 4.3c as of 13.30 rainband has cleared  cleared through

Posted

Yep, Lunch time national TV forecast definitely going with EURO4, I would too given the poor GFS precip charts

Posted

For anyone looking at Sundays warning on the met..

Loos like they are going for a "wish bone" effect.. 

I think the showers WILL push much further inland than that...

Why? Just a hunch?

Posted

EURO4 not having it either, I suspect UKV/MOGREPS aren't either hence the drier forecasts currently 

Makes sense, the afternoon runs are going to be exciting, if it crops up then we could see some frantic MetO and BBC activity :D

• Like 2

Posted

Makes sense, the afternoon runs are going to be exciting, if it crops up then we could see some frantic MetO and BBC activity :D

The lunch time forecast did bring snow down across EA/SE during tomorrow afternoon, looks relatively organised too so that's encouraging! Very much along the lines of the EURO4, I'm pretty sure IanF said they don't cite GFS when it comes to PPN, they only use the short term high resolution models

Posted

Temp showing at 6.9 on the local station with a DP of 0..!

That squall was mad, talk about shunting the cold air in, we must have lost 3/4 degrees since this morn.

• Like 1

Posted

Regional SE Today forecast mentioned rain/sleet showers tonight, absolutely no mention of any snow for tomorrow. Glad to see consistency between regionals and nationals.. 

Posted

I personally won't even think about Sunday detail. Until probably Friday/Saturday 12z runs. So from my perspective good news for those in NE of this region, to already have a be aware yellow some 4 days in advance.

Showers over next few days order of the day, some may get lucky heavier one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

Snow tomorrow dependant on timing. midday fax is promising, if we can get it into east anglia/home counties towards sunset, then game on. Also later in the night another band likely. Timing key or it'll be sleety :(

shame it gets milder on friday, but still some snow falling without needing the lamp post would be pretty marvellous to see :) 

Posted

Heavy rain in gillingham right now with blobs of wet snow mixed in

Posted

No not a hunch at all..

ONE.. Disturbance of the east coast of UK.. WITH a some pretty tight isobars..

airpressure.png

Although not much the North sea has some convective element too it.. 

ukcapeli.png

But this is Sunday and it looks like something is cropping up for tomorrow night ALREADY!!!  :yahoo:

I hope i m not asking to much but can you explane what is the last map and how you read it??

I hope i m not asking to much but can you explane what is the last map and how you read it??

The last map we generally only really use in Summer to show LI (Lifted Index) and CAPE.. Potentially available energy?) 

The lower the LI the more unstable the atmosphere is.. For instances.. Its basically the temperature of the air particles in the air and ground??

In america they could have 6000KJ of CAPE and a LI of -8 This is SERIOUS thunderstorm territory.. 

Here say average summer storms... 500-600KJ Cape AND A li OF SAY -3 Normal thunderstorms.. 

• LI 6 or Greater, Very Stable Conditions
  • LI Between 1 and 6 : Stable Conditions, Thunderstorms Not Likely
  • LI Between 0 and -2 : Slightly Unstable, Thunderstorms Possible, With Lifting Mechanism (i.e., cold front, daytime heating, ...)
  • LI Between -2 and -6 : Unstable, Thunderstorms Likely, Some Severe With Lifting Mechanism
  • LI Less Than -6: Very Unstable, Severe Thunderstorms Likely With Lifting Mechanism

Someone with more knowledge please correct any mistakes.. 

• Like 1