Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Pouring with rain here, very strong gusts, looks like the end of the world  :help:

It's been nice knowing you. :cray: The end is approaching here too, or is a squall line? :unknw:

• Like 2

Posted

Torro just issued a Severe Thunderstorm Watch Box for the next few hours for the Sharp Squall Line moving SE. Isolated Tornadoes, Cg Lightning, Strng wind gusts and hail the main threats.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Going back to an earlier post thinking about it, sure I heard too cracks of thunder here, much more thunder like than wind, as when i peeked out it didn't seem that windy, although the radar never picked up any flashes. So it's possible I had a surprise bang this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot

Are we actually gonna see any white stuff post weekend ?? or is it a case of frontal snow wales , south west , snow showers north east !! southeast dry ????.. Also tempratures don't seem that low BBC saying 5 and 6 c on Monday Tuesday nxt week for my location...

Personally - for our general area, I would find snow a surprise to be honest but there are opportunities.  Better to be in the game than not in it.  A long shot can win the Grand National occasionally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

It looks really nasty over Norfolk and Suffolk. Just a narrow squall line for the rest of us. Certainly thunder and lightning in the north segment of the band.

Yes it was like the end of the world for a while. Very dark rain hail gusts of wind everything but the kitchen sink. I think there may have been thunder as well but very difficult to tell because they are harvesting the sugar beet in the field next door and the machinery makes a racket. Still quiet now must have knocked off then the weather hit!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

*sigh* as normal starts off by me and develops into something lovely :nonono:

Just watched how the clouds are moving up there, they are all over the place. 

Edited by Dami

Posted

sunshine here and temps dropping like a stone. They were 10.2C at 11am and now its 5C!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Temperature dropped to 6.5c here after it was 9.4c at about 11:30am crazy temp drop, just wind here though it was quite intense at times but its quiet now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Yes one heck of a rain/hail storm that just passed through Norwich!! Might have heard faint thunder as well but not sure...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Not much to say here, around 5/10 minutes of heavy rain and strong winds. Well done to those in Norfolk and Suffolk, that blew up out of nowhere as at 11 am the radar was just showing scattered areas of rain, but it then all merged and intensified rapidly to give that impressive thunderstorm.

Good start I would say.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Gone nuts here , blowing a gale dark and wet , current temp is 9.6 windchill 4.7 dewpoint 6.6

is it moving SE?

i got it after the others and i must be NE of their locations?

No that is it now.. That thunderstorm and front introduces the cold spell... Now it's a question of will it be one to remember or a typical cold spell with snow showers ETC :) 

Not much to say here, around 5/10 minutes of heavy rain and strong winds. Well done to those in Norfolk and Suffolk, that blew up out of nowhere as at 11 am the radar was just showing scattered areas of rain, but it then all merged and intensified rapidly to give that impressive thunderstorm.

Good start I would say.

Very good start :) Cold air flooding in now :) 

one to keep us happy..

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82366-model-output-discussion-23rd-jan-12z-onwards/?p=3143533

Posted

Updated EURO4 06z doesn't make quite as much of the shower activity Thursday evening in to Friday early hours as 00z had, but it's certainly something to keep eye on.

After about 4pm today, this cold spell starts and looks set for at least 7 days+. Some snow possibilities likely to arise.

Thursday evening heading to early Friday looks of some interest in EURO4 00z output. Let's see how it looks on 06z output.

Updated EURO4 06z doesn't make quite as much of the shower activity Thursday evening in to Friday early hours as 00z had, but it's certainly something to keep eye on.

EURO4 can sometimes be the nuts at picking it up and doing well and other times it fails and is wrong.. I like to use it one of my most fav models.

Just to put a smile on some people who LOVE the met office:

London & South East England Headline:

Windy and turning colder.

Today:

Cloudy, mild and windy with outbreaks of rain during the morning. A drier and brighter afternoon with sunshine but turning colder with a blustery wind. Maximum Temperature 11 Â°C.

Tonight:

Cold and breezy with clear spells but also the odd sleet and snow shower, particularly later in the night. Icy patches may from on untreated surfaces. Minimum Temperature 0 Â°C.

Thursday:

Staying cold and breezy with sunny spells and a few further sleet and snow showers which may give a slight covering of snow in places. Maximum Temperature 4 Â°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

sunshine here and temps dropping like a stone. They were 10.2C at 11am and now its 5C!

Yes it is moving SE, but Surrey was commenting on what he could see on the radar I don't think it had reached him then. For our side of the region it is a broad system with two lobes of weather I would think looking at the radar your area is currently in the second lobe of precipitation and should soon clear. Temperature here has doped several degrees down to 6 from 11 and once the clearance is through down to 4 degrees. As the Captain said a good start.

Sorry TEITS I though I was replying to the post above curse these eyes they don't work or see straight. Could be age though.   :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

The squall line weakened before it reached me, was windy/wetter in the PPN ahead of it this morning ironically.

Eyes now turn to the North West for any snow showers filtering down towards our region. EURO4 shows some shower activity through London and into the SE later this evening. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Interesting lunchtime national forecast on the BBC website, tomorrow there seems to be some quite big clumps of snow moving ESE towards our region, even better that the temperature predictions are slowly edging down too now. Just 2-4C now.

Completely unreliable but I hope that it might be correct 

Yeah people commenting on the GFS again, 850s turn milder on average from the 4th, which is near enough the predicted time that the Atlantic ridge was supposed to build into the UK. The 2m temperatures actually stay cold for a couple of extra days so it is more a case of cold and potentially snowy to next Wednesday before a couple of settled and cold days and then possibly a breakdown. But at that far out, it could all change.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Bear in mind the NWS just got the red warning for snow wrong in the US where things are more predictable weatherwise. So why people take every run of models as gospel baffles me.

What will be will be.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

That wind is mental at the moment :D