Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southeast England and East Anglia - Weather Chat

Captain Shortwave

Guys IGNORE the phone apps, bbc weather... NO human input.. All computer fed.. 

The only BBC weather reports I like are the late ones around 11pm when you do actually have a genuine forecaster reading the charts... Not these pretty woman.. 

@Downpour..

that is rather a sexist remark from you Surrey!! some of these "pretty women" are trained meteoroligists

Are they I withdraw my comment.. ?  These are the guys I feel know what they are talking about.,..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/about/19119489

Edited by Surrey

Posted

Well personally I don't want any lying snow come next Friday as supposed to be playing golf in Brentwood! After that it can do what it wants.

Seeing as next Friday is 24 years almost to the day of the great easterly of 1991,i wonder how today's models would have handled the run up to that historic event.

Posted

It might be best to read Captain Shortwave's post above. The forecasts at the moment will not be that accurate as probably haven't taken any of the latest models and fax charts into consideration?

Exactly you have latest charts prob quite accurate at that time and people are moaning bout the old rubbish they are being served up on the app on their phone despite the info using 24 / 48 hour old outputs.

Well personally I don't want any lying snow come next Friday as supposed to be playing golf in Brentwood! After that it can do what it wants.

Seeing as next Friday is 24 years almost to the day of the great easterly of 1991,i wonder how today's models would have handled the run up to that historic event.

Orange balls ??

Posted

Guys IGNORE the phone apps, bbc weather... NO human input.. All computer fed.. 

The only BBC weather reports I like are the late ones around 11pm when you do actually have a genuine forecaster reading the charts... Not these pretty woman.. 

@Downpour.. 

Thursday Midday..

15012912_2800.gif

Granted London don't look good haha!!  :rofl:

15012912_2800.gif

6PM.. 

15012918_2800.gif

I would go 80/20 game on for falling snow

Oh and this is why channel lows are a pain in the ass...  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

ukprec.png

airpressure.png

Time for plenty of adjustments.. 

Thanks. But again there is very little snow shown FOR OUR REGION on those charts. 

Thanks. But again there is very little snow shown FOR OUR REGION on those charts. 

Wouldn't really worry yourself though.. go check out the mod thread.. Already things popping up like a low sliding down the eats of the country, a low possibly moving in Monday something moving south friday.. 

Things moving all over the place.. Thing is they are all moving SOUTH towards us  :spiteful:

As ever we await till about +3 hours LOL

• Like 1

Posted

Are they I withdraw my comment.. ?  These are the guys I feel know what they are talking about.,..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/about/19119489

Classic page. They need to change the profiles to more like Top Trumps style though. 

Darren Bett (ENG)

Massive evil supervillian who hates snow and cold weather. The man the coldies fear. 

Mildie ranking 100

Evilness 98

Forecast accuracy 82

You get the picture...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

I still think it is too far away to start making assertions about snow from Sunday. There are definite opportunities but crystal balls a unreliable. In a straight northerly flow counties in the firing line are Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and Kent. The further west in each county the lighter the snow is likely to be, if the flow develops an easterly component then showers will be driven further in land. If and it is a big if we get a channel low next week which are rearer than the teeth in SM's hens then the position is critical, too far north rain for most too far south and naff all for us, sorry been watching Porridge again! There is a  great deal to look forward to so sit back and enjoy the ride. As many have said lets get the first lot of cold air in place and then the reload northerly late Saturday and Sunday. BTW as others have also said take the phone apps with a large pinch of salt!   :) Good luck and happy lamp post watching  :cold:

Edited by EastAnglian

Posted

Classic page. They need to change the profiles to more like Top Trumps style though. 

Darren Bett (ENG)

Massive evil supervillian who hates snow and cold weather. The man the coldies fear. 

Mildie ranking 100

Evilness 98

Forecast accuracy 82

You get the picture...

The only obvious snow lover out of the BBC weather presenters is Tomasz Shafernacker I think? The others seems to think it is good news if there isn't any snow, using words like "fortunately it will be rain" or "thankfully the low pressure system that threatenened to bring snow is now going to stay in the North Sea". 

Posted

I still think it is too far away to start making assertions about snow from Sunday. There are definite opportunities but crystal balls a unreliable. In a straight northerly flow counties in the firing line are Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and Kent. The further west in each county the lighter the snow is likely to be, if the flow develops an easterly component then showers will be driven further in land. If and it is a big if we get a channel low next week which are rearer than the teeth in SM's hens then the position is critical, too far north rain for most too far south and naff all for us, sorry been watching Porridge again! There is a  great deal to look forward to so sit back and enjoy the ride. As many have said lets get the first lot of cold air in place and then the reload northerly late Saturday and Sunday. BTW as others have also said take the phone apps with a large pinch of salt!   :) Good luck and happy lamp post watching  :cold:

Yes, I realise I am moaning when I am in actually one of the more favoured spots within our region for a northerly – there's not much to stop the showers between me and the Wash and Epping Forest/Chingford can sometimes do quite well from them when the bulk of London gets nowt. But I would like to see a proper event and so far I don't see that occurring. I very much hope I am wrong and will happily eat humble pie if I am. 

The only obvious snow lover out of the BBC weather presenters is Tomasz Shafernacker I think? The others seems to think it is good news if there isn't any snow, using words like "fortunately it will be rain" or "thankfully the low pressure system that threatenened to bring snow is now going to stay in the North Sea". 

Yes, that's true. It's very irritating. Loads of people do like snow so this assumption that no snow = good news is pretty silly IMO. 

Edited by Downpour

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl

honestly guys....snow can bitterly disappoint, as in not turning up,or it can really surprise by appearing 'as if by magic'.

its radar watching and looking out the window time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Nice one, you can even smell the snow in the air out there today, seriously you can.

Don't knock this, I have a friend who can also 'smell snow' and would tell me there was snow in the air quite a few times and the snow would come, just as i had met someone on holiday who could 'smell thunderstorms' and yes, we did actually have a storm a few hours later..

But anyway, not expecting much really so not too worried, although being the family have a nasty cold atm, not looking forward to standing in the icy blast by the school at the moment. As far as snow is concerned, if it's going to snow it will snow at 3pm thurs/fri just as i walk to collect bubs, and if you are thinking i'm making it up, quite a few times over the summer heavy storms or hail seemed to hit at that time if it was going to happen.

• Like 2

Posted

As many times the more experienced posters say have patience and look for guides rather than pinpoint accuracy in model output beyond 24 hours. You'll get people posting that no snow in next 240 hours because chart A says so.

Groundhog day until either we get some snow, or cold spell ends I am afraid.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

Yes, I realise I am moaning when I am in actually one of the more favoured spots within our region for a northerly – there's not much to stop the showers between me and the Wash and Epping Forest/Chingford can sometimes do quite well from them when the bulk of London gets nowt. But I would like to see a proper event and so far I don't see that occurring. I very much hope I am wrong and will happily eat humble pie if I am. 

Yes, that's true. It's very irritating. Loads of people do like snow so this assumption that no snow = good news is pretty silly IMO. 

Sorry DP the post was not aimed at you in particular I was talking much more generally. There have been a lot of post (oh wow ist me it's not going to snow in ....) so far. I was just trying to say that our opportunity comes in 4/5 days time from Sunday into next week and at that range it is too early IMO to start making such assertions. I agree for once I would like to see a major event modelled, but it this type of situation I don't think we will until it is very nearly upon us. Sorry perhaps I should have not quoted your post I have been lurking for literally years but not done much posting so not that experienced despite my advancing years. Good luck and I hope you get your major snow fall soon.

Posted

Nobody is predicting a "proper event" so on that you may be right. Its your "no snow whatsover" people have problems with.

• Like 3

Had dizzle here all morning, now some heavier bursts of rain. Im looking forward to the 'possibility' of snow flurries later. :)

I hope im allowed to say this here ??, some of the gfs charts for next week are certainly provoking a bit of excitement for me. Even if its not in my back yard.

Edited by mickeyb44
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

I agree.  Thomas is always enthusiastic when it comes to snow in the forecast.  I remember he was the main forecaster during the 2010 snowfest and he was brilliant.  I think he always brings good luck for snow.  Him and Rob McElwee.  The others are mild rampers.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

honestly guys....snow can bitterly disappoint, as in not turning up,or it can really surprise by appearing 'as if by magic'.

its radar watching and looking out the window time.

Yep, I am not expecting anything in London going by the model output, but not ruling out surprise snow falls at some point in the next 7 days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

According to lightening wizard we should get convective gusts between 60-65knots during the cold fronts passage. 

It's getting quite windy here now too.

Edit:For here the cold fronts might be an event themselves, not sure about snow, but the second front has even had some lightning in it. Just the one for now, but you never know.

Edited by alexisj9